It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Not guilty plea in Internet suicide case Not guilty plea in Internet suicide case
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Not guilty plea in Internet suicide case

Old 17th June 2008, 10:17   #1
Shogun

Default Not guilty plea in Internet suicide case

LOS ANGELES - A Missouri woman pleaded not guilty in Los Angeles federal court Monday to charges in an Internet hoax blamed for a 13-year-old girl's suicide.

Lori Drew, 49, stood quietly beside her attorney Monday. She pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy and accessing protected computers without authorization to get information used to inflict emotional distress. She is free on $20,000 bond.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25186093/
Old 17th June 2008, 10:29   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

this is crazy, if I post on the internet and call you "a loser" and you kill yourself, I should not be held responsible... I mean... wtf
Old 17th June 2008, 15:29   #3
Xploited Titan

Doesn't that mean that one can't sue someone else anymore for "psychological" damage (for example, after being insulted or dragged down in a blog or post on a forum) if we pull the line a bit further?

I mean, pushing someone to suicide is the extreme. If that isn't judged at, why would lesser criminal acts?

I seriously consider the US as the breeding grounds of stupidity when I see all of this. :/ They should stop making different laws in every state and make one decent law for the whole country, and stop with that bullshit. -_-

Ps: don't make me say what I didn't say, I didn't call the US residents stupid, I just condemn the system they keep using, even if it's known to be even more broken than the "Old Continent" ones.
Old 17th June 2008, 15:41   #4

Sidney Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xploited Titan View Post
I seriously consider the US as the breeding grounds of stupidity when I see all of this. :/ They should stop making different laws in every state and make one decent law for the whole country, and stop with that bullshit. -_-

Ps: don't make me say what I didn't say, I didn't call the US residents stupid, I just condemn the system they keep using, even if it's known to be even more broken than the "Old Continent" ones.
Let me know when the entire EU is under the rule of ONE country and govened by one set of laws.

It tells me how the internet gets around the world and how much it could affect mind set in the weaks. The sword of the Samurai is to kill the strong/wicked so that the weaks could live while most people are weak. It is not as simple as most of us think. I could go on and on on this topic.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II

Last edited by Sidney : 17th June 2008 at 15:46.
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 15:43   #5
[M] Reviewer

Massman Freshly Registered

Laws in both USA and EU are not adapted to the internet, that's where the main problem is.
Old 17th June 2008, 15:47   #6
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
Let me know when the entire EU is under the rule of ONE country and governed by one set of laws.
EU law is quite strict and actually punishes those governments which are in line
Old 17th June 2008, 15:52   #7

Sidney Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
this is crazy, if I post on the internet and call you "a loser" and you kill yourself, I should not be held responsible... I mean... wtf
It wasn't from one statement. It was a trap or setup if you read the entire story.

Frankly, only parents know better and might find this puzzle.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 16:13   #8
[M] Reviewer

Massman Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
Frankly, only parents know better and might find this puzzle.
You'd be surprised how little parents know about their kids, especially when it comes to suicidal behavior.
Old 17th June 2008, 16:25   #9
Xploited Titan

My bro was suicidal at some moment, but we got him to talk and it's all good now, but I agree, suicidal kids are hard to track, especially if you can't see what's his normal behaviour or not (yeah, some are big actors).

I agree bout laws not evolving like it should to encompass internet and other media, but the main gripe is bout the judges. How can an old guy (not many judges are young peeps, well, I know none), prolly out of phase with technology and don't know anything bout what the virtual world brings with it? They judge without even trying to understand the underlaying problem.

I consider that woman to have manipulated that little girl on purpose, then dropped that kid with the intent to do emotional damage, which had the tragic ending as result. So to me, it's unvoluntary homicide.

Of course, I'm the sort of guy to consider one speeding next to a car who stopped at a cross-over to let people safely walk across a street as a voluntary killer.

Anyways, I find it disgusting to read such things decided by people who can't deal accordingly with the situation.