It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Made in America: could your next phone be homegrown? Made in America: could your next phone be homegrown?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Made in America: could your next phone be homegrown?

Old 3rd July 2012, 07:25   #1
[M] Reviewer

Stefan Mileschin Freshly Registered
Default Made in America: could your next phone be homegrown?

"Made in America." For some reason, my parents -- and the parents of many of my peers -- take great pride in seeing that phrase. I've seen people buy inferior products just because the label on the back proclaimed that it was thrown together in one of our 50 great states instead of across some imaginary line in "another country." Part of me wonders if people actually check to see if said claims are legitimate. As a business graduate, I fully understand the importance of producing goods within one's borders. There's a delicate balance that needs to be struck between imports and exports, and a huge part of a nation's economic growth hinges on how well that balance is executed.

I suspect the generation before mine remembers a very different America than the one I've grown up in -- one where smokestacks outnumbered high-rise buildings, and one where jobs requiring steel-toe shoes were more lauded than those requiring a fancy degree and "knowing the right guy." Manufacturing was the backbone of America through some really, really trying times, and there's some sense of national pride that comes along with images of swinging hammers and climbing ladders. "We built this country," as they say.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/02/m...-be-homegrown/
Stefan Mileschin is offline   Reply With Quote