It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
The iPhone 5's A6 SoC: Not A15 or A9, a Custom Apple Core Instead The iPhone 5's A6 SoC: Not A15 or A9, a Custom Apple Core Instead
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The iPhone 5's A6 SoC: Not A15 or A9, a Custom Apple Core Instead

Old 17th September 2012, 09:37   #1
[M] Reviewer

Stefan Mileschin Freshly Registered
Default The iPhone 5's A6 SoC: Not A15 or A9, a Custom Apple Core Instead

When Apple announced the iPhone 5, Phil Schiller officially announced what had leaked several days earlier: the phone is powered by Apple's new A6 SoC.

As always, Apple didn't announce clock speeds, CPU microarchitecture, memory bandwidth or GPU details. It did however give us an indication of expected CPU performance.

Prior to the announcement we speculated the iPhone 5's SoC would simply be a higher clocked version of the 32nm A5r2 used in the iPad 2,4. After all, Apple seems to like saving major architecture shifts for the iPad.

However, just prior to the announcement I received some information pointing to a move away from the ARM Cortex A9 used in the A5. Given Apple's reliance on fully licensed ARM cores in the past, the expected performance gains and unpublishable information that started all of this I concluded Apple's A6 SoC likely featured two ARM Cortex A15 cores.

It turns out I was wrong. But pleasantly surprised.

The A6 is the first Apple SoC to use its own ARMv7 based processor design. The CPU core(s) aren't based on a vanilla A9 or A15 design from ARM IP, but instead are something of Apple's own creation.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6292/i...15-custom-core
Stefan Mileschin is online now   Reply With Quote