It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
How To Build a 100,000-Port Ethernet Switch How To Build a 100,000-Port Ethernet Switch
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How To Build a 100,000-Port Ethernet Switch

Old 19th August 2009, 11:00   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default How To Build a 100,000-Port Ethernet Switch

University of California at San Diego researchers Tuesday are presenting a paper (PDF) describing software that they say could make data center networks massively scalable. The researchers say their PortLand software will enable Layer 2 data center network fabrics scalable to 100,000 ports and beyond; they have a prototype running at the school's Department of Computer Science and Engineering's Jacobs School of Engineering. 'With PortLand, we came up with a set of algorithms and protocols that combine the best of layer 2 and layer 3 network fabrics,' said Amin Vahdat, a computer science professor at UC San Diego. 'Today, the largest data centers contain over 100,000 servers. Ideally, we would like to have the flexibility to run any application on any server while minimizing the amount of required network configuration and state... We are working toward a network that administrators can think of as one massive 100,000-port switch seamlessly serving over one million virtual endpoints."

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...-portland.html
Old 19th August 2009, 11:00   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
I have nightmarish pictures popping into my head of a waterfall of ethernet cables spewing from this with user's ports un-numbered with no network diagrams. People bashing on the server room door in a zombie like state muttering "MRRRHH FACEBOOK!" "TWWIIIITEEEuggggghh" with me inside screeching "NO! NO! I DONT KNOW WHAT PORT YOUR DESK IS! NO! I CAN'T MAKE THINGS GO FASTER!" before curling up in a ball listening to the hum of servers and the lamentations of the users outside the door desperately scratching to get in.
lol