It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Building a Quiet PC Howto Guide Building a Quiet PC Howto Guide
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Building a Quiet PC Howto Guide

Old 29th August 2006, 08:25   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Building a Quiet PC Howto Guide

When the first version of Windows Media Center was released in summer 2003, I decided it was time to build my first home theater PC. After I placed it in the living room, I realized I had made a terrible mistake: I had to turn the volume up to 11 just to drown out the noise of the HTPC! I couldn't believe how loud it was! For the next few months, I immersed myself in the world of silent PC enthusiasts. I must have reconfigured that system a dozen times to reduce the noise.

Now every PC I build is optimized for performance and low noise from the very beginning.

Anyone can build a high-powered rig that sounds like a jet taking off. Building a high-powered rig that's so quiet your wife can't tell when it's turned on or off-- now that's an accomplishment! It's a bona-fide engineering challenge.

In the process, I've learned quite a few things about building quiet PCs. I'd like to share them with you, so you can avoid making the mistakes I did.
Old 29th August 2006, 11:50   #2
Rutar

that was a bit too basic for my taste
Old 29th August 2006, 12:42   #3
wutske

wow, it says as much as:
get cool hardware, use few and low spinning fans, big heatsinks, hdd dampening and noise reduction foam, but don't go passively ...

The last thing is quite shocking, no passive cooling ? There are cpu and vga heatsinks that work completely passively (altough you'll need at least one fan for airflow). And what about watercooling ? Zalman's Resorator is quiet ...
Old 29th August 2006, 13:44   #4
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

no passive .. why? because even the slightest bit of airflow from the most silent fan undervolted to 5v will improve cooling tenfold