It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Blowing Off Santa Blowing Off Santa
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Blowing Off Santa

Old 31st October 2005, 05:20   #1

Sidney Freshly Registered
Default Blowing Off Santa

The first will be Intel's 65nm/975X early next year. True, it won't be a lot better than what's available from AMD today, might not even be quite as good. But at least it will be new, the dually will be cheaper, and hopefully, so will the video card. As an added bonus, the 975X will support Intel's second-generation 65nm processors, so that's killing two birds with one stone.

The second will be AMD's socket M2. Don't expect any miracles from that, either, but if AMD expects a 3GHz FX out, that sounds like they've got one performance tweak left in 90nm. It ought to be a little better than what's available today, and at least I'll be able to see which is really better, and I can use the same video and RAM for both systems.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00859/

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 05:27   #2

Sidney Freshly Registered

I won't be spending any:

1) Intel 65nm/975X, who knows if the chipset will last more than 6 months. So what for just a bit cooler..... I will skip the whole generation until 45nm, by then Intel surely be awaken, I hope.

2) AMD M2; I don't quite believe DDR2 will increase much performance should you be running DDR @600 MHz today. I would hope X2 S939 price will come down mid next year, in which time I might consider getting one.

Most of us have been screwed over in the last three years. Like he said if you are paying your own rent; carrying a set of keys that open to the doors that you own, your spending habit will be "entirely" different. Unless, you have a wealthy Dad.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 14:54   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Any recent S939 PCIe system will last you for at least 3-5 years I'm guessing, it's a solid platform to build on, and performance increases have not been spectacular at all the last years.