It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
Asetek throws in towel for VapoChill Core i7 Support Asetek throws in towel for VapoChill Core i7 Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Asetek throws in towel for VapoChill Core i7 Support

Old 10th April 2009, 16:59   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default Asetek throws in towel for VapoChill Core i7 Support

In fall 2008, Intel debuted Socket LGA-1366, and manufacturers got drawings for both LGA-1366 and LGA-1160 [which became LGA-1158 and finished as LGA-1156], Asetek saw problems in their plans to resurrect VapoChill as premium cooling for Core i7 and i5. While the company had no issues with AMD's socket - Socket 939/AM2/AM2+/AM3 require no adjustments, Asetek wanted to have VapoChill available for both Intel and AMD platform, especially given the position of AMD in the enthusiast space prior to this event in Austin, TX.

A small batch of LGA-1366 prototype units was sent to selected few, and our fearless APAC Editor was one of persons that received the unit. Unfortunately for the fate of VapoChill, engineers discovered that LGA-1366 and LGA-1156 are not suitable for sub-zero cooling due to the size of the Socket and the amount of hidden places where moist could condense, causing the death of the CPU and motherboard. To paraphrase a great song, Intel's Socket killed the Cooling Star.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...et-issues.aspx
Old 12th April 2009, 08:55   #2

The Senile Doctor Freshly Registered

so long ago, seems like an age...
The Senile Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote