It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Madshrimps > WebNews
64-bit is old hat, Microsoft mulling 128-bit versions of Windows 64-bit is old hat, Microsoft mulling 128-bit versions of Windows
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

64-bit is old hat, Microsoft mulling 128-bit versions of Windows

Old 12th October 2009, 10:48   #21
wutske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
Secondly, I have still not seen anyone list specific problems with 64bit compatibility... I've been using 64bit OS's for three years, the only issues I still see today are with legacy hardware/software. If legacy compatibility is an issue, then they shouldn't be upgrading OS's, or should just dual-boot.
It's a small list of very specific tools, but there are many more
  • RMClock utility doesn't work (due to driver signing, unless you sign them yourself and run Seven in test-mode)
  • Speedfan doesn't work (due to driver signing and selfsigning doesn't work either)
  • ACR-122 NFC card reader doesn't work (no handle returned by driver on x64 OS)
  • TrendMicro RootKit Buster doesn't work on x64 OS
  • Rootkitrevealer also refuses to work on Seven x64 (haven't tested it on 7 x86 to be honest )
  • Visual Studio is still completely 32-bit and even Visual Studio 2010 won't be made for x64.
  • Debugging 64-bit applications is limited (eg. you can't change a 64-bit app when it's being debugged while you can with a 32-bit app)
  • SQLite doesn't work in a 64-bit .NET application
  • Xilinx FPGAA development tools seem to have a problem with 64-bit OS'es too.

A small list of small problems, but it does show that 64-bit OS's aren't ready yet to completely take over 32-bit.

I do believe tough that when 8 comes out, things might be different.
Old 12th October 2009, 10:51   #22
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I'm pretty sure the complete list is longer, also issues inherit to Vista/7 , not 32-bit vs 64-bit
Old 12th October 2009, 23:34   #23
Kougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
source? Afaik Atom is mainly netbook, the nettops are a flop
For individual models, use Intel's Ark. For a quick, broad overview use the wiki. Looks like all dual-core Atoms have 64bit as well.

Wutske,

RMClock is a good example. The program is not updated, extremely narrow core of users, and was made for no longer manufactured CPUs. If they wanted to update the program it would work.

Speedfan does work, I am using it right now... it has worked for a long time and even on Vista.

TrendMicro Rootkit program is interesting, looks like early beta. Is likely they will write it for 64bit later, but there are other Rootkit searching programs that are compatible.

Rootkit Revealer is yet another old piece of software last updated three years ago and no longer maintained.

Visual Studio - That is interesting to know, but keep in mind 32-bit programs can work just fine under 64bit OS's. That is why there are two Program Files directories, one for 32bit applications and the other for native 64bit programs. Reading the box, Visual Studio 2008 does support Vista 64bit.

SQLite - Then why not use 32bit Net applications? Just because you run a 64bit OS doesn't mean everything installed is 64bit.... I can run 32bit or 64bit versions of IE8 right now if I wanted, for example.

Excluding no longer updated programs, the list of programs with issues gets pretty short pretty quickly. TM's Rootkit program will likely offer 64bit support in future builds before they remove it from its initial beta stage of development. But if you want Rootkit programs that work on 64bit OS's, try F-secure's Blacklight and Sophos Anti-Rootkit, or just use an AV program with built in rootkit detection.
Old 13th October 2009, 09:23   #24
wutske

How did you get speedfan working ? Here the installer just keeps failing when it tries installing giveio.sys

The list I provided just shows that not everybody has yet made the step to supporting x64 operating systems and that there's still a lot of work to do before a x64-only operating system could be brought out.
What Microsoft could have done tough was making the x64-bit version more attractable, like giving a refund or something ... because lots of people aren't willing to pay the same price for something that's not working.

About the Atoms, there are indeed a lot of Atom cpu's with x64 ... but those aren't the popular ones like the N2xx which is mainly used in netbooks (I now realise that this isn't realy a strong argument because Microsoft could have made 7 a 64-bit only os while also releasing a 32-bit version of 7 Starter Edition ... ).

Anyway, I'm happy with 64-bit for now, both with Windows and Linux .
Old 13th October 2009, 09:29   #25
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutske View Post

Anyway, I'm happy with 64-bit for now, both with Windows and Linux .
same here; but I also don't fail to see the use of a 32bit version for older machines and newer ones which simply don't support 64bit.
Old 13th October 2009, 23:12   #26
Kougar

Speedfan released a compatible version shortly after Vista launched years ago, and it has worked since. Sounds like you are having a specific issue with that machine... 4.39 is the current version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutske View Post
The list I provided just shows that not everybody has yet made the step to supporting x64 operating systems and that there's still a lot of work to do before a x64-only operating system could be brought out.
That is just it. Almost all of the incompatible programs are no longer updated. Which means they will never support 64bit OS's, and there is no point in delaying a 64bit rollout because of them.

Quote:
About the Atoms, there are indeed a lot of Atom cpu's with x64 ... but those aren't the popular ones like the N2xx which is mainly used in netbooks (I now realise that this isn't realy a strong argument because Microsoft could have made 7 a 64-bit only os while also releasing a 32-bit version of 7 Starter Edition ... ).
That was exactly what I said earlier. It would have solved the situation nicely.
Old 13th October 2009, 23:40   #27
wutske

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
Speedfan released a compatible version shortly after Vista launched years ago, and it has worked since. Sounds like you are having a specific issue with that machine... 4.39 is the current version.
Gonna check tomorrow if I can get it working with the latest version

Quote:
That is just it. Almost all of the incompatible programs are no longer updated. Which means they will never support 64bit OS's, and there is no point in delaying a 64bit rollout because of them.
I wouldn't say that. The NFC card reader for example did have a 64-bit driver for Vista and Windows 7, yet it failed to work (it did work on a 32-bit Vista).
The same goes for the Rootkit tool, it's still in development.

The Xilinx tools are indeed old, most of the tools are even written for linux and then ported to windows using cygwin... but we do use these older versions at school because they are free to use (and I don't think Xilinx is going to make a new x64 compatible version for free ).

Quote:
That was exactly what I said earlier. It would have solved the situation nicely.
At least something we both agree on