Madshrimps Forum Madness

Madshrimps Forum Madness (http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/)
-   General Madness - System Building Advice (http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f18/)
-   -   Would you change anything ? (AMD Built) (http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f18/would-you-change-anything-amd-built-72591/)

pcolamar 3rd June 2010 12:55

Would you change anything ? (AMD Built)
 
Hi there,
I am looking for your help on the following.

I need a PC that can last for the next 4 years (at least)

It will be mainly used for:
- No Games
- Linux Ubuntu (no Win at all !)
- Office application (lot of)
- Light photoretouch
- Heavy Video conversion (AVI -> Mpeg) (ffMpeg, Avidemux, Handbrake...)
- Light Video editing (Handbrake, Cinelerra etc...)
- Light Audio conversion (MP3 - MP3) and (MP3 -AAC)
- It will also serve as small (private) webserver, maybe having 2 VMs running (Webservices and Office/Video conversion)
- Light overclock (for fun mainly)
- Budget € 600 (+/-)

from Alternate website I have come up with the following combination.

*CPUs Socket AM3 AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (to be Future-proof) (or, on the other extreme, Athlon x4 to save money but foreseen a future upgrade)
•Housing Midi TowerAntec Sonata III (500w) (would it be enough power ?)
•CardreadersCard Reader 54 in 1
•DVD-reWriters Serial-ATASamsung SH-S223L
•Motherboard Socket AM3ASRock 890GM PRO3 (USB3 and Sata6 future proof and easy OC)
•Harddisks 3,5 inch SATAWestern Digital WD5001AALS 500 GB (waiting for Sata6 disks)
•OCZ3G1333LV4GK, Gold LV DDR3-1333 OCZ DIMM 4 GB 2x2 Kit (would it OC ?)

I will recycle 2 x 250 GB HD (Western Digital) for back up purpose I have in my old PC and a PCI video capture card.

What do you thing or suggest to change?
Thanks
Palmer

jmke 3rd June 2010 13:31

Howdy!

Quote:

- It will also serve as small (private) webserver, maybe having 2 VMs running (Webservices and Office/Video conversion)
Quote:

•OCZ3G1333LV4GK, Gold LV DDR3-1333 OCZ DIMM 4 GB 2x2 Kit
get a lot more memory, go for 8/12Gb if I were you, as VMs love memory.

Quote:

*CPUs Socket AM3 AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
lots of cores=excellent for VM/server & Video/audio conversion

Quote:

•Harddisks 3,5 inch SATAWestern Digital WD5001AALS 500 GB (waiting for Sata6 disks)
I would opt for fast SSD for OS/Apps, and larger SATA drive for storage (1tb)

Kougar 3rd June 2010 21:16

I agree, if you are running VMs (especially two) then 8GB would be better.

No reason to wait/pay a premium for SATA 3 (6Gb/s) hard disks, the interface won't matter unless looking at SSDs. I would recommend a SATA 2 SSD over a SATA 3 HDD, exactly as JMke already said.

An Antec 500W unit is a little close, but without a GPU and a light OC would be fine.

BlackRabbit 3rd June 2010 23:24

Mind the budget of 600EUR...

jmke 3rd June 2010 23:34

mind the requirements ;)

pcolamar 4th June 2010 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kougar (Post 259127)
I agree, if you are running VMs (especially two) then 8GB would be better.

No reason to wait/pay a premium for SATA 3 (6Gb/s) hard disks, the interface won't matter unless looking at SSDs. I would recommend a SATA 2 SSD over a SATA 3 HDD, exactly as JMke already said.

An Antec 500W unit is a little close, but without a GPU and a light OC would be fine.

Folks, if I drop the Sata6/USB3 (going to 785 boards) I might save only €30 that won't allow me to get more RAM (mind the budget !).
RAM increase (4Gb -> 8GB) will wait for next year :-)
On the contrary for € 5 more I can get a ASrock 880GExtreme3 (instead of the 890GMPro3), would you suggest me to change motherboard ?

P.
(Thanks so far)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:04.

Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO