It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
Windows 7 Clean Install questions Windows 7 Clean Install questions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Windows 7 Clean Install questions
Closed Thread

Old 26th November 2009, 23:14   #11
chaplndave

OK...so I spent like four hours this afternoon removing the nvidia drivers and cleaning everything up software wise...pulled out the GeForce card, moved cables, etc, etc, etc...went to install the 4870 ATI card...and guess what??? The card is too long and with the Asus P5K-E mobo, the card covered up the SATA plugs...not to mention the fact that I could not have the SATA cable and power cable plugged into my hard drives and make the graphics card fit. Aggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh. Any suggestions?

Either I need a different motherboard...or a different case (deeper so both graphics card and hard drives will fit)...or ???????? So the GeForce (8600GTS) is back in the case. Still have not had time to change proc out to the Q6600. Now maybe I should look for another 775 mobo, new case, p/s etc and build a whole new rig. Any suggestions out there. I know you all have been here at one time or another.

Old 27th November 2009, 01:38   #12
chaplndave

OK...so I worked for about four hours trying to get the ATI card to fit...but it installs right over the SATA connections on my Asus P5K-E mobo. Also, my hard drive cage is directly behind the vid card and the power connector and SATA connector stick out far enough where installation of the vid card is pretty much impossible.

I know you can get right angle SATA cables...and that is what I will most likely do for the SATA cables going to hard drives and DVD drives. Does anyone know if they make a right angle connector that will go between my power cable from the P/S and the back of the hard drive? (and where it can be purchased?) Thanks guys...bear with me as I try to get this vid card into the computer.... I still have not swapped out the Core Duo E6750 with the Quad Core Q6600. One thing at a time though, right?

Old 27th November 2009, 02:38   #13
JimmyJump

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaplndave View Post
OK...so I worked for about four hours trying to get the ATI card to fit...but it installs right over the SATA connections on my Asus P5K-E mobo. Also, my hard drive cage is directly behind the vid card and the power connector and SATA connector stick out far enough where installation of the vid card is pretty much impossible.

I know you can get right angle SATA cables...and that is what I will most likely do for the SATA cables going to hard drives and DVD drives. Does anyone know if they make a right angle connector that will go between my power cable from the P/S and the back of the hard drive? (and where it can be purchased?) Thanks guys...bear with me as I try to get this vid card into the computer.... I still have not swapped out the Core Duo E6750 with the Quad Core Q6600. One thing at a time though, right?
I had the same problem with a Gigabyte mobo when I bought my Asus EN8800GTS-Top 512MB... So, I bought an Asus P5K-E Wifi, as I thought that, since it was a new mobo (at the time) built after the release of the 8800GTS, the card would fit... and it didn't. As I mentioned earlier, I had to either take the cover off the card (which I did until my warranty ran out) or saw-off one of the three attachment-legs of the cover (which I did after the warranty ran out)...

The 90-degrees sata cables are too thick to squeeze in-between the mobo and the ATI 5870 I now have, I'm afraid. I made a cable myself, by carefully prying open the L-shaped plug and cutting it off, without damaging the metal pins. Then I bent the connector pins and cut the L-shaped pincover to approx 1.5mm and glued it on the cable over the pins, in fact making a new, much shorter plug, which fits (but only just) in-between the card and the mobo. The fact that the card pushes against the cable and plug, keeps the plug in place, so the selfmade plug doesn't need to be state-of-the-art...

Last edited by JimmyJump : 27th November 2009 at 02:41.

Old 27th November 2009, 14:50   #14
JimmyJump

Didn't see yer first post. Best thing to do is get a new LGA775 mobo, because I managed to truncate a SATA cable for ONE HD, but I have 5 SATA HD's and 1 SATA ROM, so I did that to be able to test my 5870, not to us it permanently with that set-up.

Of the 6 SATA connections on the P5K-E, you would only be able to use 2 of them, even with truncated cables, as either direction the cables go, you're always overlapping connections at one time or other. That is, when you use more than two sata devices.

The mobo can be bent a bit, maximum a quarter of an inch, but that is still incufficient to be able to use more than 2 connections with regular L-shaped plugs...

Old 1st December 2009, 20:54   #15
chaplndave

Hey Jimmy...before you even suggested it, I went out on Black Friday and purchased a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P mobo...so the rebuild is started. Now I have this motherboard, the Q6600, the ATI 4870 graphics card (still had to manipulate around the hard drive cage...one of my WD 640s at the top of the cage and one of them much lower in the cage...the 4870 fits, with a little persuasion...but it fits and is up and running). I have plenty of room for the SATA connectors because they are positoned well right of the graphics card. I also installed 64 bit Win 7 and am slowly reinstalling software...but also purchasing upgraded software so as to run efficiently on Win 7.

Next step...after software upgrades...is to upgrade my monitor. I have a Dell UltraSharp 2005 model. Not sure what I will replace it with, but was thinking of a 23 or 24 inch model. Any suggestions? As long as I am upgrading my LGA 775 board, I want it to last for a while...and when i7 prices come way down I will think about moving up to that. Heck, by the time I am ready to upgrade again we may be in the post i7 era.

Old 2nd December 2009, 01:12   #16
JimmyJump

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaplndave View Post
Hey Jimmy...before you even suggested it, I went out on Black Friday and purchased a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P mobo...so the rebuild is started. Now I have this motherboard, the Q6600, the ATI 4870 graphics card (still had to manipulate around the hard drive cage...one of my WD 640s at the top of the cage and one of them much lower in the cage...the 4870 fits, with a little persuasion...but it fits and is up and running). I have plenty of room for the SATA connectors because they are positoned well right of the graphics card. I also installed 64 bit Win 7 and am slowly reinstalling software...but also purchasing upgraded software so as to run efficiently on Win 7.

Next step...after software upgrades...is to upgrade my monitor. I have a Dell UltraSharp 2005 model. Not sure what I will replace it with, but was thinking of a 23 or 24 inch model. Any suggestions? As long as I am upgrading my LGA 775 board, I want it to last for a while...and when i7 prices come way down I will think about moving up to that. Heck, by the time I am ready to upgrade again we may be in the post i7 era.
Glad to see you were able to partially solve your problem, Dave...

I'm using three Acer screens: a 4:3 20" AL2017, which is a tad too dark and two 24" widescreens, a P241W and a V243W.

The P241W has issues with some grapic cards and won't start when the PC is booted and has to be turned off and on again separately a lot of the time. Both 24-inchers have a very high candela-value. Factory value is 400cd, but both screens have a real value of 480cd, which makes for some crisp pictures, both with games as with movies.

When putting-up a black desktop the V243 seems to 'bleed' light a lot, especially at the edges, but strangely enough that doesn't make the pictures deteriorate.

Both screens will go at around 250 euro/dollar. For each, that is.

I can't really make any suggestions, as I've always been using Acer monitors since I switched to TFT.

There's a few high-resolution screens from Dell and LG, but they cost around 1500 euro (1700 dollars). Personally, I don't feel that such a price is worth the difference in resolution. Firstly because I can't afford those screens, and secondly because for 650 euro you can buy a Philips 42" Full-HD LCD TV. Okay, so you're stuck with a lower resolution, but still, those TV sets give awesome pictures...

By what I know from reading around, I guess Acer or Samsung seem to be the best bets, in respect with value for money.

Maybe you could go to big surface markets where there's a lot of screens on display. That's a nice way to see the differences in illumination, contrast and colour. Screens on display usually have their factory settings, so you won't be fooled there.

Good luck mate

JJ

Closed Thread