It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
So why are the PCP&C PSU`s always rated the best? Am I missing something? So why are the PCP&C PSU`s always rated the best? Am I missing something?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

So why are the PCP&C PSU`s always rated the best? Am I missing something?
Closed Thread

Old 4th December 2005, 15:30   #11

jort Freshly Registered

there is nothing like best

you think its best but i woudn't care about noise because i am an oc'er.

the market is so wide because there are different kinds of people
Old 4th December 2005, 16:33   #12
Rutar

sigh

So, as an overclocker you do not care about 600 REAL watts, about low ripple values, about stable rails, about low heat due to large fan and good efficency?

Old 4th December 2005, 18:23   #13

DUR0N Freshly Registered

The THG test looks like crap imo. You can't measure load by simply adding PSU's in the opposite direction of the current. They deliver steady load, something which is very uncommon in computing.
Old 4th December 2005, 20:26   #14
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

nice comment from PC&C

Quote:
An honest power supply rating is for CONTINUOUS operation at FULL LOAD. 24 hours is a very short test. There should be no complaints! A PSU should actually run at full load for weeks and months with no problems.

The voltages and output ripple should be within ATX specs at full load. The tests are NOT too tough. In fact, they're easy, because they are run at nominal input line voltage and room temperature. I suggest that tests be conducted at low line voltage and high line voltage using a variac. These tests would demonstrate the PSU's input operating range and whether or not the PSU could withstand the sags and surges in today's world at full load.

Another legitimate test condition is to run the PSUs at full load with the ambient temperature elevated about 15C to represent the real-life condition in the computer, rather than the condition on the test bench (many power supplies have exaggerated wattage claims based on low ambient temperature assumptions). One more important test would be a dynamic load test (instantaneous pulse of the +12V output). This would demonstrate a PSU's ability to handle multiple hard drive access (servers) or quick changes in CPU and video power loads (gaming PCs, especially SLI).

In conclusion, the stress tests being conducted by Tom's Hardware are more than fair. Products that do not pass should be redesigned or de-rated to realistic power levels.

Doug Dodson, CEO, PC Power & Cooling
Old 4th December 2005, 20:37   #15
Rutar

there is always space to imporve testing results, doesn't change the fact that THG has the most usefull PSU test on the net right now

Old 4th December 2005, 22:16   #16
Madshrimp

I beg to differ, noise & performance tests: http://www.silentpcreview.com/section4.html
Old 4th December 2005, 22:32   #17
Rutar

better on the noise testing, but certainly not for the stability testing

but we do like to read: There is not a single PSU we know of that can produce so much stable power as the S12-600 and stay as quiet

However, I have not seen a review or user stating current 120mm or bigger fan PSUs being noisy in a review so there isn't exactly a need for a SPCR style noise test.

But I'll be the guinea pig soon enough if it holds true under subjective SPCR criterias.

Old 5th December 2005, 18:48   #18
ObNoXiouS

Actually SPCR cares more about noise than they do the actual test of the product they are testing.

Old 5th December 2005, 18:56   #19
Madshrimp

I wonder why SilentPCreview
Old 5th December 2005, 19:34   #20
ObNoXiouS

Quote:
Originally posted by ObNoXiouS
Actually SPCR cares more about noise than they do the actual test of the product they are testing.
Also notice that SPCR has never tested a PC Power & Cooling Product.....makes ya wonder...hmmmmm

Closed Thread