It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
Setting up browser almost equals setting up OS Setting up browser almost equals setting up OS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Setting up browser almost equals setting up OS
Closed Thread

Old 14th August 2008, 00:23   #21

Bosw8er Freshly Registered

as this thread is being hijacked, i might as well join in

i use about 15 bookmarks in the toolbar (using launchy)
have about 20 feeds in google reader
Attached Thumbnails
setting-up-browser-almost-equals-setting-up-os-clipboard01.jpg
Old 14th August 2008, 05:31   #22
Kougar

Blackrabbit, that's pretty nice, and really useful. I definitely can agree about the backing up and transferring issue. I keep an adr file of my bookmarks on my USB key with all my other utilities and install files. Size is only about 700KB for a few thousand bookmarks. Although, you may eventually see some competition as I've read that Opera is reportedly looking into syncing bookmarks, browser settings, notes, and customizations (finally).

For searching, categorizing, organizing, and indexing bookmarks: that was a big reason I kept using Opera despite the rather steep learning curve it took to get used to it.

It uses a standard file/folder hierarchy inside the browser, but allows it to be organized and sorted as you wish and is indexed. Can search the entire bookmark list and view results sorted by their containing folders instantly. Also typing into the address bar will bring up all of your bookmarks that have any part of the URL matching what is typed, not just addresses from past browsing history. No HTML files, no vast folder trees to mess with, and it imports/exports almost every format. Includes "file" properties of each bookmark and even a "notes"/description section for any notes you want to include, which by default it pulls from the bookmarked website in question if they offer any.

About the only thing it does not do is automatically sync across computers, but as I carry my USB key with me it takes just a few seconds to install Opera and import the adr database file. Keeping my desktop and laptop Opera installs synced is definitely an inconveneince that your solution elegantly solves, but it's not enough to entice me to switch just yet! I just export/import a folder with the new bookmarks, or use the open source Synergy program which syncs a single keyboard/mouse/clipboard across any network, as a sort of virtual KVM switch but one better.

Last edited by Kougar : 14th August 2008 at 05:33.

Old 14th August 2008, 09:40   #23

Bosw8er Freshly Registered

Why doesn't anybody use delicious, stumble upon or secondbrain as bookmarking-tool?
Old 14th August 2008, 10:31   #24

BlackRabbit Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRabbit View Post
And about the other sites: I never found those adequatly easy-to-use. deli.ci.us for example: doesn't quicken the surfing-experience a bit (in the contrary)
The point op jumbee is that your bookmarks are private, only viewable by you and no-one else. Those other sites focus on storing & sharing.
It also embodies a quick pick-and-click layout. Delicious & secondbrain require more clicking & even scrolling. These websites are ft to long-term
store bookmarks, but not for daily use as a surf-speed-up.

Google also provides a 'bookmark something', but this services as well was not what I expected of a bookmark manager.

Don't get me wrong: it's not my goal to promote jumbee (yet ), but these are the main reasons why I constructed jumbee in the first place.

It still needs work & some more handy features can be added (like searching for a link, like kougar mentoined [btw: it was already on the todo list ])

Some more plans: allow the user to select certain bookmarks as 'interesting' (or 'public' or something like that). If these pages/sites occur often (meaning: they are really good ), they could be added in a 'website-suggestion' feature. However, I still have to put some thought in this, as to avoid spamming and irrelevant suggestions.

Anyway: thanks for the heads up, Kougar. I understand that you feel comfortable with you current solution. It's kind-of an offline version of jumbee, it seems

Last edited by BlackRabbit : 14th August 2008 at 10:44.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:03   #25
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosw8er View Post
Why doesn't anybody use delicious, stumble upon or secondbrain as bookmarking-tool?
0ldskool internet peeps are not really hot for Web 2.0
but declious with FF plugin is certainly nifty
Old 20th October 2008, 21:22   #26
Elijah86

Most complain about the pulgins for FF but that is why i love my firefox. I use FEBE and always keep a backup handy for when i have to reimage my computer.

Closed Thread