It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
Setting up browser almost equals setting up OS Setting up browser almost equals setting up OS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Setting up browser almost equals setting up OS
Closed Thread

Old 12th August 2008, 09:54   #11

BlackRabbit Freshly Registered

I think your fanboy-view of Opera (vs FF, IE) is rather dangerous.
Bugs (/leaks) exist in every software package. Yes, also in your Opera.

Also, I see no reason why you need to install any extra plugins (in FF) to be able to browse the internet. It IS a browser, you know
ActiveX-plugins in IE are indeed pretty dangerous, but almost nowhere used anymore. So you can probably disable them for most of the time as well.
Old 12th August 2008, 22:58   #12
Kougar

I never said it was "bugless", I said "almost no". I would agree with you that there are bugs, security issues, and the like with Opera. To be specific, my point is this is less the case compared to older version of FF or IE, which get patched almost weekly for new found exploits.

FF needed the plugins to match the functionality of Opera. Especially since FF crashed, having a plugin to make FF remember open windows/tabs after it crashes. I think I had one for spell checking, another for a dictionary hotlinking to bring up text in Answers.com, some plug in to add some missing feature to FF's bookmark ability. I don't recall what else I had to use just to get the functionality I wanted that Opera simply came with already.

Don't mistake enthusiasm for fanboyism. There is a fine line there, and simply because someone espouses their positive views on something doesn't automatically make them a fanboy or a fanatic. I think I've pretty well expressed my negative views with my positive on Opera in this forum before.

Old 12th August 2008, 23:32   #13
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

What FF version did you last use?

Latest FF2.x has build in spellcheck and remembers tabbed browsing, even after a crash. FF3.x adds extremely nifty web history, but I've went back to FF2 because I got too used too it
only thing missing as plugin out of the box is Mouse Gestures, which are included with Opera if I remember correctly.
Old 13th August 2008, 02:34   #14
Kougar

It's been awhile, used FF from 1.x to 1.5 and played with 2 when that came out. Sounds like they finally did some much needed polishing, enough that I'll give 3.01 a try.

And yeah, Opera does have mouse gestures. I only use the basic ones for quicker navigation though.

Last edited by Kougar : 13th August 2008 at 02:43.

Old 13th August 2008, 21:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
...some plug in to add some missing feature to FF's bookmark ability. ...
As JMke says: most of you points have been fixed for a while now.

Anyway, as a response to the quote above: I never use the bookmark tools of any browser:
- eveything is saved on your local PC
- for that specific browser (IE/FF/Opera/..)

That means you can miss/loose your bookmarks often/easily:
- when you're not at your usual surf-station (home, multiple PCs/work/holiday/family/friends/(girl-)friend/..)
- when for some reason you need to use another browser
- when you system disk fails
- when you reformat and forget to backup your bookmarks (happened to me a few times in the past )

In addition, I find it not very friendly to use (takes a while to find/move mouse to a bookmark).

That is why I have been working on Jumbee Bookmark Manager
I put this page as my browsers' homepage -> each time I start my browser, I see my favorites/bookmarks on the same page. It saves me a lot of time surfing actually.
Also, when I find interesting websites that I would like to keep for future (but not very soon) reference, I store them in a category that I then minimize -> it takes up no space on the 'mainpage' but with 1 click the category can be maximized & bookmarks become visible.

Made a quick print-screen of my 'interface':

Note that the position of each category (and link within each category) can be changed as well. I therefor put often-visited bookmarks (/categories) towerds the top-left corner.

And when I'm not on my workstation, I can still access my bookmarks from any computer (connected to the internet )

BTW: this picture show WinXP with FF2. However, this is the only workstation left with this version of FF, as I use it for website-testing purposes.
Old 13th August 2008, 21:46   #16
Madshrimp

muehaha; I created a custom "bookmark" page back in 2000 already!

before the Google Boom as I was using Hotbot at that time
Old 13th August 2008, 21:50   #17

But you coded the bookmark-lists in HTML yourself, didn't you?

Did the same thing back then, but in the end it was just too much work to maintain, so after a while I used it no longer.
MOD: it was a while before Madshrimps existed, so end-nineties I guess.. Back in the time of Planet Internet (local provider, became Scarlet)
Old 13th August 2008, 21:55   #18
Madshrimp

currently not much use to dedicated too much energy there though, there are tons of sites which keep your favorites in check, including iGoogle

but to be honest, I don't use favorites, only have 2 stores links; for creating new thread in webnews and gadgets forum; that's about it
Old 13th August 2008, 22:25   #19

When I come to think of it: my old page contained a form, providing a text-field and some radio-button options (altavista.be ['big' back then], yahoo.com, ..). It was a quick-search page, allowing me to quickly select & search with the search-engine of my choice.

For those who are interested: my site also provides an import-function. Simple export your bookmarks currently stored in your browser (if you have the choice: export as html) and select 'My bookmarks > import bookmarks' on the jumbee-site.
May save you some time as well

As to JMke's latest reply: I honestly don't like surfing the web without it anymore. With this page as my homepage, I can access most of my favorite/daily/hourly websites with just 1 click. No need to move hands between mouse and keyboard, or to (mis-)type a url.
And as I said: it is also very handy to (temporarely) store interesting websites.
Imaging you're surfing at work/at a friends place/your neighbour/.. and after clicking 'deeper' in some websites or after clicking an advertisement, you encounter an interesting webpage that comes with a rather hard-to-remember url (e.g. users.something.com/~someuser/anydir/anotherdir/maybesomemoredirs/ak15eo.html)
However, the page contains a lot of interesting information but you really need to go (out/eating/..).
At that point it would be useful to have a jumbee account -> simply store the page in your bookmarks and visit the page later (e.g. at home).

Did this a few times @work (when I was still working ), véry handy

And about the other sites: I never found those adequatly easy-to-use. deli.ci.us for example: doesn't quicken the surfing-experience a bit (in the contrary)

PS: jumbee was originally scripted for own (/family) use only, but because other people seemed interested as well, I made it publicly accessible.

Last edited by BlackRabbit : 13th August 2008 at 22:28.
Old 13th August 2008, 22:37   #20
Madshrimp

if you haven't noticed yet, Madshrimps is one big badass bookmark page for me