It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
New external fanless PSU from Zalman: NEPS 400 New external fanless PSU from Zalman: NEPS 400
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New external fanless PSU from Zalman: NEPS 400
Closed Thread

Old 20th June 2004, 23:43   #1
uni1313

Default New external fanless PSU from Zalman: NEPS 400

Soon to be released from Zalman the NEPS 400:

NEPS 400's release date and retail price range are not determined yet. We will post an article for the information of NEPS 400 on this Q&A board when the information is available to the public

P.S. NEPS is an acronym for Noiseless External Power Supply.

Regards,
Jinkook Kim/ZALMAN

Zalman qui a fait du refroidissement son cheval de bataille a dévoilé quelques nouveautés sur le Computex 2004. On trouve en premier lieu un alimentation externe de 400W complétement silencieuse. Pour l'utiliser il suffit de relier la carte mère à une plaque qui se fixe dans son boîtier à la place de la classique alimentation. Sur cette plaque se trouve un connecteur ATX qui permet de relier l'alimentation au boîtier. Cette alimentation ATX 2.0 est prévu pour cet été et sera proposé au prix d'environ 200 dollars (prix non officiel pour le moment).

http://www.clubic.com/photo/00090206.jpg

Old 20th June 2004, 23:55   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I can see this having an advantage for those who have setups lying about without case. But for others?...
Old 21st June 2004, 10:05   #3
uni1313

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
I can see this having an advantage for those who have setups lying about without case. But for others?...
Well I you really want a silent PSU and a silent pc you need one of these. The Zalman silent psu's which are on the market now are not really silent, after some time when temps are rising so those the speed of the fan in the psu and after some time it can be noisy.
There are already passive psu's on the market from other brands but I have read that they do not always perform good.
If the PSU is removed from the case that should be another heatsource that is removed, should temps not go down?

Old 21st June 2004, 10:30   #4
Madshrimp

Piotke has been testing a passive PSU from Silverstonetek for the past couple of weeks How to uninstall windows media player 9 fully???

it looks promising and although it does become hot (~60°C inside components / ~50°C outside outer shell) it will not dramatically increase the case temperature (4-5°C is what I've read)

although removing the PSU all together will surely drop the heat generation inside the case, you will be stuck with an extra box to carry around.. not ideal for LANs at first sight.
Old 21st June 2004, 12:12   #5

A-star Freshly Registered

Quote:

although removing the PSU all together will surely drop the heat generation inside the case, you will be stuck with an extra box to carry around.. not ideal for LANs at first sight.
But ideal for a small HTPC. (Home Theather PC).

You gain extra space in the case your using then.
Old 21st June 2004, 13:02   #6
Madshrimp

first you buy a small HTPC , and you stuff an external PSU next to it.. to keep it all "compact" ?
Old 21st June 2004, 13:48   #7
kr15t0f

if you have only place for one psu and you want 2 for some reason

Old 21st June 2004, 20:32   #8
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

Quote:
Piotke has been testing a passive PSU from Silverstonetek for the past couple of weeks How to uninstall windows media player 9 fully???

it looks promising and although it does become hot (~60°C inside components / ~50°C outside outer shell) it will not dramatically increase the case temperature (4-5°C is what I've read)
And some other passive PSU I'm testing becomes also that hot...

Best solution is a 120 mm fan cooled PSU nowadays. Extra casecooling and mostly silent.
Old 22nd June 2004, 13:53   #9
uni1313

Quote:
first you buy a small HTPC , and you stuff an external PSU next to it.. to keep it all "compact" ?
Some small barebones from shuttle (i think the Zen moddel) have a small external passive psu (but only 180 Watt).

At work I have a Fujitsu Siemens Pc (P4 1,8) which is completely silent and I am trying to get my pc at home to the same level.

To cool down the pc Siemens pc they use a sort of ducting methode, a plastic casing goes to the psu, some where in the plastic ductingsystem there must be a silent fan. I don't think however that this method will work with a multi-media pc.

Old 22nd June 2004, 13:57   #10
Madshrimp

when these PC's are at full load ,they make quite a bit of noise (those Siemens PC's, have 2 sitting next to me here , 2x2.53ghz)

it almost the same amount of noise you get when booting the PC

that 1.8 is a tower model or desktop?