It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
New Computer New Computer
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Computer
Closed Thread

Old 5th April 2005, 00:28   #1
Victorious25

Default New Computer

Hey,

My friend just bought all the parts for a new computer. We put it all together, accordign to the instructions on the manual, and general knowledge. When we boot, everything turns on (Fans start spinning, internal lights on the MoBo turn on etc.), but nothing is displayed. Normally I would automatically think that it was a graphics card problem, but he has a MoBo that is SLI ready, and an SLI graphics card. I don't know if that might be screwing it up, because he only has one graphics card. He has the following:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
1 Gig of PC2700 RAM
AMD Athalon 64 3500+
60 Gig harddrive (This is from his old computer, and has Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed on it)
1 CD Drive
350 Watt Antec Power Supply
XFX GeForce 6600 PCI Express Graphics card SLI ready

I naturally would have tried another graphics card in the system, but he is the only person in my group of computer friends that has a PCI express MoBo, s for him to try. Does it sound like a graphics card problem to anyone else, or is there something else we should try?

Thanks,
Victorious25

Old 5th April 2005, 00:48   #2
kristos

the SLI switch is inserted properly so that it is set to function in single card mode instead of SLI mode?

Old 6th April 2005, 01:49   #3
Victorious25

Yep, at least as far as we can tell, but it doesnt matter, because we have tried evry possible setting, with the switch wither way, and the GPU in either slot. My only bet is that it is the GPU. It's weird, because the GPU's fan starts spinning.

Old 6th April 2005, 08:35   #4
wutske

It also might be the memory. Perhaps the mobo tries to let it run at 400mhz ?
Don't you have a norma PCI graka you could test it with ?

Old 7th April 2005, 20:04   #5
Barthez

I had the same problem with an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard

In my case it was the memory

I've changed it and the problem was fixed

Old 25th April 2005, 23:31   #6
Victorious25

OK.
It might not be the GPU anymore, the people from the GPU making company told us a few thigns to try. They seem to think that the problem is CPU related. I'm just curious at this point, but could putting thermal paste on wrong screw up the anything, and if so is there some way to undo it, and if so what is the proper way to put it on? I know that it isnt the RAM because it has been tested in anotehr system. His processor is an AMD Athalon 64 3500+.

Old 26th April 2005, 02:24   #7
kristos

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

Closed Thread