It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
This memory any good...? This memory any good...?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

This memory any good...?
Closed Thread

Old 1st December 2004, 21:44   #1
eskellie8

Default This memory any good...?

Im going to be building a new system soon (my first). I am trying to get the best performance on a budget. I am thinking a dfi lanparty ut nforce 3 250 motherboard with a athlon 64 3000. Or I could go with a socket 939 3000 but the mobo prices are whats killing that idea. But what I do need to know is if this memory i am looking at is any good. Its this....http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...221-005&depa=1

I read 1 good review on it here http://www.buddhasbarandgrill.com/content/view/208/26/

As you will read this guy seems to think this memory is great. But what do you guys think of it? Im also not sure the mobo will give me trouble about this memory or not, as I cannot find a list of supported memorys on dfi's website. Its either this or some generic stuff. And if the ram is as good as that review says it is Id asuume its alot better than the generic stuff. Thanks guys. Please help the newbie LOL.

Oh, and 1 other thing. I think I may need to buy a different chipset cooler for that mobo. Would a fan work better or a larger passive heatsink.

I found these.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...118-214&depa=1
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...110-103&depa=1

If it makes a difference i do plan on overclocking eventualy.

Anyway, thanks!

Old 1st December 2004, 21:52   #2
[M] Reviewer

Gamer Freshly Registered

just try to get your hands on some TCCD based ram, tight timings with high fsb speeds.

that other memory is no good.
Old 1st December 2004, 22:08   #3
eskellie8

Whats tccd ram? Is it expensive? I dont have much to work with...Thanks

Old 1st December 2004, 22:12   #4
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

this should help you out
http://www.madshrimps.be/gotoartik.php?articID=258
Old 1st December 2004, 22:28   #5
eskellie8

Thanks! Now I need to know something else though. Is it better for me to go with 1 gig of cheap stuff or 512-768 of some real awsome stuff? Plus in a few months i could upgrade to 1.5 gig with the cheap stuff. Im not going to massively overclock. Keep in mind I will be using paint shop pro and will have to do alot of multitasking, not to mention heavy gaming. The reason Im on such a budget is because Im 15 and dont have much money lol.

Thanks guys, didnt expect to get help this fast!

Old 1st December 2004, 23:06   #6
Madshrimp

well; I would until January before buying a new system, if you can, go for S939 as it will be more future proof. S939 also works better with 2 modules then S754 and therefore you could get 1GB of memory at a reasonable price

overclocking with memory running sync to FSB/HTT is not necassary to get good performance on A64, and every S939 enthusiast board offers a wide array of memory:htt dividers which allow you to keep the memory running within specs.

decide on memory size, then on memory timings, not the other way around.

When multitasking and heavy gaming you will have more benefit of 1gb of slower ram, then 512mb of speedy ram.

you are welcome btw, , don't get dragged into -ness like we did
Old 1st December 2004, 23:36   #7
eskellie8

I thought going with the cheaper stuff was going to be my best bet with the budget and all. How much faster is a socket 939 64 3000 system going to be than a socket 754 sytem based on a 3000 (w/ nvidia chipset)? The future (w/939) doesnt bother me because chances are ill never really upgrade anything. I might put a sound card in or something, but thats about it. If i get the 754 i can get some nice accessories like good speakers and stuff. With the 939 Id have to wait on it. How much speed difference is there realy? Thanks

Old 1st December 2004, 23:49   #8
Madshrimp

clock for clock there is only a very small difference
Old 1st December 2004, 23:59   #9
kristos

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=230

Old 2nd December 2004, 00:00   #10
eskellie8

In that case Id go with the socket 754. Ive been told that dual channelmakes a difference but not much (am i wrong)?. But now to get back on track, do you think that gigaram stuff will give me better performance than some generic kingmax, and is it worth the extra 8 bucks a stick over the kingmax? Kingmax is the cheapest stuff i could find lol, but it has alot of good reviews on newegg. The gigaram is the same price as corsair value ram!

And finaly, out of those 2 chipset coolers I provided links for above...Is it better to go with the fan, or the passive heatsink? Which one will cool better? Thanks

Now i know where to get answers for any questions I have!

Closed Thread