It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
Imperfect world – PC enthusiasts are non-exempted Imperfect world – PC enthusiasts are non-exempted
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Imperfect world – PC enthusiasts are non-exempted
Closed Thread

Old 20th January 2005, 06:32   #1

Sidney Freshly Registered
Default Imperfect world – PC enthusiasts are non-exempted

For years I have been “bad mouthing” power supplies in the PC industry, namely the label found on the product listing the specific outputs. Are we, the consumers getting what we pay for based on what states on the label?

I owned and used Antec, Macron, Thermaltake, HEC, Sparkle, TTGI, Rosewill, Codegen and a few no name brands. They perform marginally in a “light” and non-overclocked system. The fact of the matter is they all have a label stating 350 to 520 Watts.

None of them provides stable voltage particularly the 12 Volt rail. Since I hate RMA process, I normally get rid of the bad ones thru eBay. It does not pay to send back a heavy PSU and a trip to the Post Office. However, what gets me the most other than being “cheated” by the label created by deceiving manufacturers is product review. For one, I will not review PSU from manufacturers or resellers or distributors, unless they are willing to send in three units of the same model. Why? One doesn’t cut it, three out of three having the consistent performance means more than one unit that “performs to what the label says.”

Rarely, you read “this power supply sucks” from product review. Why? You’ve heard enough from your fellow overclockers and forum member nightmares of their PSU encounters. Some will say this PSU works well while others may have entirely different experience. Yes, motherboard plays an important role in screwing up actual input from a good power supply, and so the excuse forgave some of the “bad” PSU I have had.

I could list all the “good comments” regarding Antec 500W, HEC, TTGI, Thermaltake and the new comer OCZ Power Stream from product reviewers. I have never been able to get a stable at or slightly above 12 volt on the 12 v rail in all my systems in the last two and a half years – totally 11 systems, until today.

Today, I received my OCZ Power Stream 420. Like a teenager, I couldn’t wait to hook it up to the Prescott system. This is the first time I read 12.4 Volt idle and 11.98 Volt load readings for more than two and a half years. This is also I first time I use surgical gloves to install a power supply, you know what I mean, don’t you?

Although I am very satisfied with the performance, I cannot say for sure every OCZ Power Stream will perform the same. I am still very cynical.

Now, the imperfect world comes in, which are the wirings; lots of wirings and connectors; so much that I have no idea how to tuck them neatly. I finally decided to have an empty CD bay just to house the extra wirings and connectors.

I know for fact that there are more PSU brands than manufacturers in China; Taiwan and Korea. Made in China label could be found in over 99% of PSU sold today. Only if WE demand for quality, we will never get decent products. I only wish everyone could be a delighted as I am today in getting what we pay for.

By the way, a $100 PSU yields the same profit margin as $80 unit – 50%. Now, tell me how you feel when you are willing to give 50% profit in exchange for something that does not deliver the performance they promise you.

I must add that PCP&cooling may well be the only manufacturer provides 5-year warranty not just being an American Company but a Company that will pay for legal fee facing Amcerican consumers; try getting after a Company in China - best of luck.

I should easily be convinced any PSU without tweaking provdes solid 12v Rail in Prescott system may well be "decent". Thanks to Intel and it's hot potato, PSU testing becomes "easy". SLI with dual graphic card will also get rid of sub-standard PSU for good.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 20th January 2005, 13:01   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Prescott may be indeed the cause of all your sub 12v readings; insofar my testing with AXP/P4/A64 hardly any PSU has much trouble delivering enough power, even when overclocked. Only no-name products tend to act up from time to time.
Old 20th January 2005, 13:27   #3

The Senile Doctor Freshly Registered

however, I now own and adore three ocz psu's
one 520w is wielding a 3 ghz a64 with spot-on 12v and 5v lines under load, and a 420 is holding up a 2.7 ghz winchester without trouble too...
Old 20th January 2005, 16:18   #4

I have two Sparkle that returned 11.55 Volt and 11.62 with Volt meter in AXP OC'ed system.

Thermaltake 480 returned 11.60 V under stress; and 12.04 idle.

Got an Antec earlier last year without front panel Pots - 11.79 v under stress - I sold that mother right away and got my full payment back.

No worry from now on if SLI and Prescott take root. There will not be many PSU brands floating around.

Old 20th January 2005, 16:31   #5

187(V)URD@ Freshly Registered

My LC power silent 550WII (2*80mm dubbellufter) does 11.98V and 5.11V stressed on a XP system (2.6GHZ-2HD-2DVD's-3*256RAM-GF4ti4200-12V relais for pump-4*80mmcasefans- 2*120*mm Fans-fancontroller)

Idle 12.04V and 5.11V

And it is silent , best 30€ I spend on hardware.
Old 20th January 2005, 16:44   #6

If half of the customers complain getting 7.5 oz in their Pepsi Cola that should be 8 oz; and the rest said they have 8.5 oz, Pepsi Cola is in World of trouble.

Old 25th January 2005, 16:51   #7

@The Doctor,
OCZ is the one I trust; and only the PowerStream and not the newer model Modstream.

The rails are so nice it's worth every penny. Tested with both Multi meter and two systems now. Less than a hair adjustment on the 12V rail, it now never drops below 12 V with high at 12.5 V. The Prescott is running another 5 mhz higher without increase in CPU temp.

It is nice to see a Company getting a quality product without Govenment rules/laws to protect consumers. I should take a pictures or keep the pictures of all the garbage Power Supplies including some name brands.

I am getting another one for the A64 when more mature boards surface in a month or two from now.

Old 25th January 2005, 17:49   #8

The Senile Doctor Freshly Registered

my thoughts exactly
Closed Thread