It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
I7 Build I7 Build
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I7 Build
Closed Thread

Old 22nd March 2010, 00:16   #1
ChuckR

Default I7 Build

Thoughts: Cool, Quiet, Clean, GOOD Monitor as some eye problems MidTower as it will sit on Desk. Clean as I live in Las Vegas.
Silverstone Fortress SST-FT02S
Seasonic X-750(SS-750KM Active PFC)
Intel Core I7 930
Xigmatek Dark Knight
ASUS P6X58D Premium
Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 KHX1600C9D3K6/12GB
WD Caviar Black 500GB with
Kingston SNVP325-S2/128GB
Sapphire 5850(Vapor-X)
Samsung SH-M523A DVD/CD Combo(2)
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Items still up in the air.
Dell UltraSharp U2410 Rev. 2 or
HP LP2475w
Samsung 2494HS

Old 22nd March 2010, 11:52   #2
Kurgan

Looks like a nice machine

Why two DVD drives tho?

+1 for the U2410, I have it and love the thing so much I'm thinking of getting a 2nd one.

Old 22nd March 2010, 17:59   #3
Kougar

U2410 should be the best monitor by far, but you will need sharp eyes...

I don't recommend Western Digital, but that's just me. They are the only brand of drives I have had bad experiences with to date.

SNVP325 is a good model, the Toshiba controller does surprisingly well and is fairly cheaper than the rest at the moment... much better than the JMicron stuff.

Old 23rd March 2010, 01:32   #4
ChuckR

Thanks for the thoughts. It looks more like the Dell with the new firmware and Windows 7 is leading the pack. What do you mean sharp eyes? As I mentioned I have an eye problem, though not blind. Currently on a Viewsonic CRT. What would you replace the WD's with?
I suppose I could also by a Buffalo external for image backup.

Last edited by ChuckR : 23rd March 2010 at 01:34.

Old 23rd March 2010, 19:13   #5
[M] Reviewer

leeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registeredleeghoofd Fully Registered

Nice build I want one
Old 23rd March 2010, 22:42   #6
Kougar

Ah, I should correct myself. I was thinking of the U2711.... the resolution on that one is equivalent to a 30" screen but in a 27" monitor!

The U2410 is a good monitor, 1900x1200 is the sweet spot at 24". The quality should be as good or even better than my Dell 2407WFP... and I like my 2407 monitor enough that I've never wanted to upgrade it.

I'd recommend any brand over Western Digital.... but as you said you were looking at the Black series you might be alright. Only the "Black" series has a 5 year warranty. If Seagate hadn't dropped theirs from 5 to 3 then I'd recommend them easily.

Old 23rd March 2010, 22:53   #7
Kurgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
Ah, I should correct myself. I was thinking of the U2711.... the resolution on that one is equivalent to a 30" screen but in a 27" monitor!

The U2410 is a good monitor, 1900x1200 is the sweet spot at 24". The quality should be as good or even better than my Dell 2407WFP... and I like my 2407 monitor enough that I've never wanted to upgrade it.

I'd recommend any brand over Western Digital.... but as you said you were looking at the Black series you might be alright. Only the "Black" series has a 5 year warranty. If Seagate hadn't dropped theirs from 5 to 3 then I'd recommend them easily.
Really?

I've had more issues with Seagate the past while and nothing since I switched to WD. I think I've RMA 3 Seagate drives now, don't see myself buying another anytime soon...data loss sucks.

Old 24th March 2010, 00:20   #8
Kougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
Really?

I've had more issues with Seagate the past while and nothing since I switched to WD. I think I've RMA 3 Seagate drives now, don't see myself buying another anytime soon...data loss sucks.
Amusingly, yes. I bought or acquired a WD, Hitachi, Seagate, and Maxtor all within 2003-2004 timeframe. Out of all those drives only the WesternDigital began giving errors and erratic behavior in less than 2 years... I RMA'd it, and the replacement drive worked for awhile then began giving the same errors, it won't even load/install Windows anymore. The other drives outlasted them both... even the Hitachi Deathstar model still works.

I have bought 9 Seagates since then for various projects, four with >3 years power on time. I only buy drives with 5 year warranties, but those are getting hard to find. I came about two NIB WD drives and sold both on ebay as I refused to use them.... exactly 13 months later (Outside the warranty by a month) one of the buyers emails me to say the drive failed on him. So that is why I don't use WD.

Old 24th March 2010, 17:07   #9
EsaT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
Clean as I live in Las Vegas.
Yeah... enough flashing/too bright lights in there without having more on your desk.
Quote:
Samsung 2494HS
Doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in same page with IPS monitors.
I would consider Dell's U2410 as better than HP because of its internal 10 bit LUT (smoother colour slides regardless of contrast setting) enabling also half decent sRGB emulation mode and gaming mode bypassing some internal processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
I was thinking of the U2711.... the resolution on that one is equivalent to a 30" screen but in a 27" monitor!
Hey, its resolution is vertically crippled.
Quote:
If Seagate hadn't dropped theirs from 5 to 3 then I'd recommend them easily.
After whole serie of their drives having bug in firmware capable to turning them into bricks?
Well, maybe that firmware was made by Maxtor. (which was bought by Seagate)
But I agree about Seagate having been good investment year ago... or more precisely their shares.

Closed Thread