It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
GTX 295 or wait for 5870? GTX 295 or wait for 5870?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GTX 295 or wait for 5870?
Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2009, 20:36   #11
Kurgan

Well I pulled the trigger, getting the GTX 295 - so I'll be keeping my GTX 260 for PhysX now after all.

Old 9th December 2009, 00:13   #12
JimmyJump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
Well I pulled the trigger
I thought I heard something...

Quote:
getting the GTX 295 - so I'll be keeping my GTX 260 for PhysX now after all.
Oh, I thought you already had it and were playing games like a madman, judging by the sparseness of your person around the shrimps-board the last couple of days...

Old 9th December 2009, 14:48   #13
Kurgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJump View Post
I thought I heard something...

Oh, I thought you already had it and were playing games like a madman, judging by the sparseness of your person around the shrimps-board the last couple of days...
Nope, nope

I've taken apart my watercooling system atm - going to be selling my current system and probably moving into i7 core equip. My plans are to put together something along the lines you have - Maximus Formula III + i7 860 and add in a Typhoon III with a tripple rad...lots of "thoughts" at this point.

ATM I'm gaming with 4770's in Xfire - but the wife/work gets in the way sometimes aswell

K.

Old 9th December 2009, 16:14   #14
JimmyJump

Quote:
Nope, nope

I've taken apart my watercooling system atm - going to be selling my current system and probably moving into i7 core equip. My plans are to put together something along the lines you have - Maximus Formula III + i7 860 and add in a Typhoon III with a tripple rad...lots of "thoughts" at this point.

ATM I'm gaming with 4770's in Xfire - but the wife/work gets in the way sometimes aswell

K.
I've got an ASUS Maximus III Gene, which is a great mATX mobo with lots of tweakabilities. It also supports both Xfire and SLI. I also have an Intel i7-860 and an ASUS HD 5870, but am still waiting for my memory. The latter has gone considerably up in price at some distributors, sometimes doubling and even trippling the original price... That's why I set my sights a tad lower and ordered some Kingston HyperX@1600MHz (€160 per 2x2GB) instead of the high-end HyperX@2133MHz (€365 originally per 2x2GB, now soaring to over €600 at some shops...)

Since I don't have a donkey that shits money, I have to be careful. For the time being (to replace my Asus EN8800GTS 512MB) I've also ordered an Asus HD4890 for my 'lower-end' system, which is the one I'm using right now.

For some reason (could be driver-related) the 8800GTS doesn't perform too well under Windows 7 (Ultimate), both with games or Photoshop/PhotoImpact/whatever, so I'm gonna see what it says with the HD4890. I might have to replace the standard cooler on the HD4890, because of the position of the 6 sata connectors on my Asus P5K-E Wifi mobo, but that's but a small inconvenience...

The Core-i system is going to be used solely for gaming and will be tucked away either in my Antec 1200 or a Gigabyte Poseidon 310 I was able to get second hand (but still in an unopened box) for a mere €50...

Next year (which starts in a couple of weeks, come to think of it) I'll probably be going for a socket 1366 system. All depends on the performance of the 1156-based system. And my financial state. Or my mental state. The latter depending on the former...

Keep us informed Kurgie

Old 10th December 2009, 19:36   #15
Kurgan

Now that I have an interested buyer for my rig, things might happen sooner rather than later.

Here's what I am thinking.

Watercooled, already have the dual and tripple Rad's here. Red/Black theme, not original I know, but it'll be the only red/black themed PC in my house

i7 860
ROG Maximus III Formula
PC3-1600 Ripjaws
Corsair HX850
I may keep a VelicoRaptor for OS/Games until SATA3 SSD's go mainstream
Primochill Typhoon II
Primochill Primoflex tubing (RED) 3/8 ID 5/8 OD
Black Anti Kink coils 5/8 OD
HEATKILLER CPU Rev3.0 1156

WD 1.5 TB Green (Storage)
GTX 296 (in the mail)
GTX 260 (PhysX)
Dell UltrSharp U2410 1900 x 1200
Plus sleeving of cables aswell, from Here

If I can sell the ATCS 840 I'm definitely getting a Corsair 800D to house this thing in.

Any thoughts on possible changes are welcome of course

Kurg

Old 11th December 2009, 04:01   #16
JimmyJump

It's a good thing you've already got some watercooling equipment, because the Obsidian doesn't perform well with aircooling (meaning that the airflow sucks, especially in the mainboard area because of not enough intake power).

On the other hand, that Obsidian is an awesome case, well built and well designed with great features for hiding cables and stuff. A tad pricey at $300 without PSU, but quality takes money, I suppose. On top of that price, you've got to add three new fans (one for the bottom with a bigger intake and two for the top for outtake) and you've got to switch the back-fan from sucking out hot air to blowing in cold air, in order to have a better flow and thus better cooling.

You've got a lot of neat stuff packed there mate. The Typhoon reservoir and the tubing must look cool.

Personally, I wouldn't go for the G-Skill RAM, but such things are based more on personal preferences than on actual differences in performance. Although I must add that I found Kingston's RAM to be more stable than other brands with similar characteristics that I've used in the past (like Corsair, OCZ and Apacer).

I'm not such a heavy overclocker, basically because I don't have lots of money (in fact I never have any) and I'm afraid that when I push things too far I might end up doing my stuff with a chisel and stone tablets instead of a PC.

Anyway, here's what my rig will become once I've got the memory:

Case: Antec 1200
PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 850W
CPU: Intel i7-860
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer Extreme Rev. II
Mainboard: Asus Maximus III Gene mATX
RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX PC12500 (1600MHz) with Kingston KHX-Fan (dual 60mm coolers with blue LED)
GPU: Asus HD5870
ROM: Lite-On DH-4B1S Blu-Ray burner & Lite-On iHES208 RAM burner
HD: undetermined as yet. Would like an SSD, but for the time being I'll have to do with a Seagate SATA 160GB for the OS...

In my current system, there's 6 SATA disks (1x Maxtor 200GB w/OS, 1x Seagate 500GB, 2x Seagate 250GB, 2x Seagate 1,5 TB of which one is external in an Antec MX-100 casing, used for back-up) and 2 Lite-On DVD RAM burners -one SATA and one PATA.

Oh, and I've canceled the Asus 4890 coz I found a Sapphire HD5770 for €140, which is being delivered tomorrow or Saturday...

Old 21st December 2009, 15:54   #17
Kurgan

So my GTX 295 just got in today, but unfortunately I havent had any luck sellilng my current system....so now I'm just itching to install my watercooling loop back in just to see this thing in action (tho I think I will wait)

Gah, just dont think the wife will be pleased if I go and spend more money on PC parts while I still have a perfectly good one sittin on my desk heh

Old 21st December 2009, 15:56   #18
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

who said it's perfectly good? If they ask me, I'll say you've been having problems these last 4 months with the system
Old 21st December 2009, 18:23   #19
JimmyJump

Quote:
So my GTX 295 just got in today, but unfortunately I havent had any luck sellilng my current system....so now I'm just itching to install my watercooling loop back in just to see this thing in action (tho I think I will wait)

Gah, just dont think the wife will be pleased if I go and spend more money on PC parts while I still have a perfectly good one sittin on my desk heh
I've got some bad news to add to that: I'm able to lay my hands on a good-as-new Antec 900 II for €50...

Which means I won't be going after your Coolermaster, I'm sad to say.

I live alone, so there's no-one to complain about my madness, but I've already got a Coolermaster Elite, a brandnew Gigabyte Posseidon 310 (which is absolutely NOT worth the price at which they're being sold -95 to 115 euro-) a Chieftec Dragonmaster (blue) a Chieftec Bravo BA, my main rig in an Antec 1200 and a TV/Juke-box rig in the form of an HP Compaq hd7600sff, so, my alter ego is starting to get worried, both about the amount of space I've got left in my tiny appartment and my financial status

Closed Thread