It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
future of AGP? (or, should I wait for a PCI-e board?) future of AGP? (or, should I wait for a PCI-e board?)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

future of AGP? (or, should I wait for a PCI-e board?)
Closed Thread

Old 4th November 2004, 15:39   #1
mattengstrom

Default future of AGP? (or, should I wait for a PCI-e board?)

I'm in the process of building a new computer (finally!!!) and I'm wondering what you all think of the future of AGP. I want to avoid the situation of building an A64/939-based PC today and wanting to upgrade my video card in a year or two and not be able to, because all of the new cards are only PCI-e.

So, what do you think? Will the next-gen cards, like whatever comes AFTER the nVidia6800s, be available in AGP at all, or will they only be PCI-e?

Thanks...

Old 4th November 2004, 15:45   #2
kristos

ATI and nVidia already are very carefull with the production of agp based top end graphic cards and although they're was only just a newspost here stating that ati finally got their pci-x licensing, I think they'll be pushing to move to pci-x for their top end graka's in the future.

Old 5th November 2004, 02:17   #3
ssl6

i dont know about the future of AGP, but the only agp cards i'll be buying now will be used agp's. the next new card i buy will be pci-e. end of story, agp cards arent going to be worth spending money on much longer

Old 5th November 2004, 19:05   #4
mattengstrom

Default That's kind of what I thought

Looks like I'll be waiting for the PCI-e socket 939 boards to come out. Hope it isn't too much longer.

Closed Thread