It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
D-Link DI524 Router requires ZoneAlarm pay service D-Link DI524 Router requires ZoneAlarm pay service
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

D-Link DI524 Router requires ZoneAlarm pay service
Closed Thread

Old 5th March 2006, 22:22   #1

Sidney Freshly Registered
Default D-Link DI524 Router requires ZoneAlarm pay service

My D-Link DI-614+ router has been giving good service for the last 4 years. Although it is still going strong, I was thinking about getting another D-Link router just in case.

The DI-524 is less than half of the size; for $40 I purchased one without looking into any detail. I set up the router without using the CD installation; I should all be the same. Indeed, it is.

Then, I was prompt to Zone Alarm requirement; here is where I found out DI-524 has a gateway code that requires the use of new license ZoneAlarm.

Quote:
Your D-Link router has determined that a ZoneAlarm security product is not installed on your PC.
To install a ZoneAlarm product, please complete one or all of the following:

1. Reboot your PC
•To reboot your PC, close out all open programs and shut down your PC from the Start button.

2. Restart the ZoneAlarm security product
•To restart your ZoneAlarm security product, please re-launch the software by going to Start > Programs > Zone Labs > Zone Labs Security.

3. Verify that the ZoneAlarm security product is set to automatically check the router for security compliance
•To allow your ZoneAlarm security product to automatically check the router:

• Open the ZoneAlarm security product by double-clicking on the ZA logo in your system tray.

• Single-click on "Firewall" in the left column. The select the "Main" tab.

• Single-click on the gray "Advanced" button.

• Check the box next to "Automatically check the gateway for security enforcement."

4. Reinstall your ZoneAlarm security product
•To reinstall theZoneAlarm security product, please click the appropriate download button below.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Are ZoneAlarm security products software included in the D-Link firmware?

No. The D-Link firmware has functionality included that will check if a ZoneAlarm security product is installed and running on the machines that are connected to the D-Link router. The router also has the ability to push a special D-Link Gateway License Key to the installed ZoneAlarm software. The ZoneAlarm software is installed on the individual PC's attached to the router.

4. Can I use ZoneAlarm and not a paid ZoneAlarm security product?

No, ZoneAlarm will not be recognized by the router. This solution requires a ZoneAlarm security product, version 4.5 or higher.

6. I'm taking my laptop on a business trip with me. Will I still be protected by my ZoneAlarm security product when I connect via my ISP or a different office?

Yes, for 45 days. After 45 days, your ZoneAlarm security product will stop working on your computer. It will not work again until you reactivate it on your LAN or until you upgrade to a "full protection" version available at here.

7. I've had my laptop disconnected from the LAN for over 45 days. How do I allow it to work behind the router again?

Please re-connect to your LAN again. Your ZoneAlarm security product will recognize the presence of the router (it must be the same router that you were behind originally) and manually restart your computer.

8. How is having a ZoneAlarm security product installed affecting my network? How much overhead is there?

The overhead for communication between the router and the ZoneAlarm security product on your PCs is very minimal. The communication packets are small and infrequent. However, if you do feel it is causing a delay on your network, you have some control over the frequency the packets are sent to and from the ZoneAlarm security product and the router. On the Security Configuration Panel on your router, the "Set Enforcement" option tells the router and the ZoneAlarm security product how often they should communicate. This communication tells the router that theZoneAlarm security product is still running on the PC.
If you set this option to "High Security (Check Frequently)," the exchange will occur at smaller intervals. Though we feel this should not impact your network performance, you do have the option to select "Medium Security (Check Less Frequently)" to increase the interval.

9. I own a copy of a ZoneAlarm security product already. Can I put that license key into the router administration panel and use it for all of my PCs?

No, if you already purchased a copy of a ZoneAlarm security product from a site other than http://dlink.zonelabs.com, it is a single or multiple user license that needs to be inserted into the ZoneAlarm program directly. Only licenses for ZoneAlarm security products, version 4.5 and higher, purchased through http://dlink.zonelabs.com, can be inserted directly into the router.

10. I own a copy of a ZoneAlarm security product already. If I buy a bundle for this router solution, will my key count against the license?

No, the router will recognize that you have your own ZoneAlarm product key and it will not "count" your PC against the number of PCs licensed through the bundle. If your version of a ZoneAlarm security product is 4.5 or greater, it will also recognize your PC as being protected and it will grant it Internet access based on the same rules and setting it applies for the other PCs on the LAN.

11. I have purchased the D-Link/ZoneAlarm security product bundle and I have a ZoneAlarm license key to enter into my administration panel. Can I enter that license key into a ZoneAlarm license key panel on the workstation?

No, this license key is generated specifically for use on the router.

12. I've added a new Windows PC to my network. How do I extend my license so it's protected too?

It depends on the number of licenses you purchased in your bundle and the number of PCs you have on your LAN currently.
If you purchased more licenses than you have PCs, then you don't need to do anything. ZoneAlarm security products version 4.5 or above will communicate with the router and retrieve its license key.
If you have reached the limit for your licenses, you will need to purchase additional licenses from here.

13. I have a non-Windows PC on my network and now it can't reach the Internet. What could be wrong?

Under "Advanced Setup" > "System," on the Zone Labs panel, you need to make sure the IP address of this machine falls in the range (From IP Address: 192.168.2.x To IP Address: 192.168.2.y) of IP addresses labeled as exempt. You also need to make sure that "Exempt LAN Client Option" is ENABLED. Be sure to press the "APPLY" button after making any changes.

14. What is the "Version Requirement for Internet access" for?

Under "Advanced Setup" > "System," on the Zone Labs panel, there is an optional field for "Version requirement for Internet access". This field gives the Router administrator even more control over what ZoneAlarm software users attached to the Router need to run. Not only will they need to run the ZoneAlarm security product but the Router admin can specify what version of ZoneAlarm they need to run, to ensure that users always run the latest version.
It is not much to pay for the requirement. However, it should have been made known to the customers first. There is no mention on the box whatsoever.

Now, would you buy one of these?

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 5th March 2006, 22:25   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

what if you have an OS which does not support ZoneAlarm. or even better.. why would you need ZA; I don't like the app
Old 5th March 2006, 22:25   #3

You have to in order to get thru the gateway. Otherwise, you cannot get connected.

I reconnected the DI-614+; and return this sucker.

Old 5th March 2006, 22:27   #4

3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10 and 11 Q&A

This is the only screen you would see I cut and pasted this page after I removed all my settings. Repacked the box and ready to send it back ....... or smashed in with a hammer if they don't accept my return.

Old 5th March 2006, 22:35   #5

I am wondering if old firmware could remove the gateway check; anyone know?

Old 5th March 2006, 23:07   #6
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

only if it a recent addition - you could complain to d-link if you have the courage
Old 5th March 2006, 23:32   #7

Another lesson learnt from not reading the whole thing; althought it is not in the (CD)manual. It is in one of the setup screens.

Advance icon has the ZoneAlarm drop down. Diable the ZoneAlarm ..... is needed.

I do think it is a trick to get customers sign up or even pay for Zonealarm.

Old 6th March 2006, 00:53   #8
FreeStyler

There is little ad- and spyware that doesn't ask to be installed. Yet there are loads of people infected with it.

Same thing, different package.

Old 6th March 2006, 05:34   #9

The DI-614+ is 802.11b; and the DI-524 is 802.11g which is much faster.

Now I am having problem connecting in wireless mode using 802.11b USB wireless adapter. I have no problem using 802.11g wireless adapter. While it is backward compatible, it seems to apply to the router and not the wireless adapter. Does it make sense to you?

It's answered here - http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...ing80211bg.htm

Different than what I'm experiening; 802.11b client (Netgear MA101) can't hook up to 802.11g router. It may be firmware issue.

Bottom line; change everything into 802.11g.

Old 6th March 2006, 18:28   #10

after talking to d-link twice; a defective product.

Closed Thread