It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
Chaintech 9cjs and BIOS DOS setting for Symantec Ghost Chaintech 9cjs and BIOS DOS setting for Symantec Ghost
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chaintech 9cjs and BIOS DOS setting for Symantec Ghost
Closed Thread

Old 15th December 2004, 10:53   #11
Kerry

I got the MOBO today and installed it immediately.

I reset the CMOS. Then I tried to update the BIOS from 2/25/04 to 10/18/04 but I'm getting "Floppy disk fail (40)". I'm not sure why, but the green activity light on the floppy is staying lit, even without a floppy inserted. I've tried it with both floppy boot first and with CD boot first with same results.

Also, I'm getting "For Realtek PCI Fast Ethernet Controller 2.13 PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" But I don't have either Ethernet cables plugged in yet.

I can tell by the very mild caked on dust that the MOBO is a used-refurbished one. Ugh. (the bar code on the back of the board reads: 1C305260001 whereas my original code was an entirely different kind of code = 19B1420B312170441)

Thanks,
Kerry

Old 15th December 2004, 10:57   #12
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
[b]but I'm getting "Floppy disk fail (40)". I'm not sure why, but the green activity light on the floppy is staying lit,
flip the floppy cable on the drive;

Quote:
Also, I'm getting "For Realtek PCI Fast Ethernet Controller 2.13 PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" But I don't have either Ethernet cables plugged in yet.
you probably have PXE network boot enabled, if it doesn't find a cable plugged in it will error out with "media failure" (media being the cable )
Old 15th December 2004, 11:09   #13
Kerry

Thanks so much for the quick answer.

Correctomondo about the PXE being enabled. Never saw that option before.

I turned the floppy cable around and the light is not on now but I'm still getting the (40) error message.

I'm also getting a "Press F1 to continue" message and I don't recall that happening before.

Kerry

Old 15th December 2004, 11:12   #14
Kerry

arrgg . I just did Ctl + S to change the PXE but got the message, "There are no other options for this choice."

Kerry

Old 15th December 2004, 11:22   #15
Madshrimp

do you have another floppy can you try? might also be the floppy port as you just mentioned the word "used-refurbished "
Old 15th December 2004, 11:27   #16
Kerry

I'll try another floppy drive later today. It's now 1:30 am Wed.

Thanks,
Kerry

Old 15th December 2004, 20:30   #17
Kerry

It must have been the floppy drive. I replaced it and no more (40).

When I try to upgrade the BIOS I press Alt + F2 and the Awardflash menu appears with a field to enter the name of the BIOS but the keyboard doesn't respond, even though I used "Any Key" to start the PC and of course pressed to Alt F2 to bring up the Awardflash menu.

I replaced the keyboard with a non F-Key toggle key but same results, when I try to fill in the name nothing happens. I have to shut down. I tried this several times with no luck.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,
Kerry

Kerry

Old 15th December 2004, 20:39   #18
Kerry

[quote]Originally posted by Kerry
[b] "For Realtek PCI Fast Ethernet Controller 2.13 PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" But I don't have either Ethernet cables plugged in yet.[quote]

Forgot to mention: I gave up on trying to update the BIOS before installing XP Pr so I connected the CD and the Media test failrure went away.

Kerry

Old 15th December 2004, 20:56   #19
Madshrimp

that's very weird

you might be fine with the bios which is currently on the board, you have the test it out. otherwise contact Chaintech support :/ for help with the keyboard issue; seems like a bug
Old 15th December 2004, 21:33   #20
Kerry

Thanks. Chaintech's website describes the 12/18/04 BIOS (version 7.0) as addressing the XP SC2 issues. I have a ticket into to Chaintech about the keyboard problem.

Thanks.

Kerry

Closed Thread