It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
Bioshock Bioshock
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bioshock
Closed Thread

Old 23rd August 2007, 23:27   #1
Rutar

Default Bioshock

I got it running now and so far I like it, it seems to be a cross of Condemned with Stalker.

Old 26th August 2007, 12:35   #2
SuAside

runs exceptionally good on my rig with all the bells & whistles enabled (except dx10 ofc). the art direction of that game is just sublime btw.

Old 26th August 2007, 15:31   #3
Rutar

combat and the hacking could be better tough

Old 27th August 2007, 06:57   #4
mentalcrisis00

I actually just got bioshock to work on my laptop (only one out of my 2 computers that supports DX10) and it looks awsome! only 30 frames with everything on and DX10 on with 1280x800 res but if i turn shaders down and one of the lighting options off it runs at about 50 to 60 frames and looks about the same.

Either way it's a spectacular looking game with awsome gameplay value. Only thing i have a problem with is i couldn't get it working for 4 days after i got it and it has that securom malware junk with it that does god knows what. It's for updating but it's always running in the background and shows up as high security risk in rootkit revealer.

But it's still an awsome looking game and i would rather buy a legit game rather then run the risk of trojan viruses by torrenting it.

-Ray

Old 27th August 2007, 09:18   #5
Rutar

the Artwork is great but the graphics are low poly and low res textures

Old 29th August 2007, 12:28   #6
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

My copy arrived yesterday, and played until the 3rd big daddy.

I'm pretty disappointed actually. The artwork and level design is fantastic, it runs very smooth on my cheap 2600XT, but it's just very mediocre shooter. Weapons don't feel right and don't look good. Enemies don't react differently when shot in legs / body / arms / head. Loading times are very long even though it's installed on fast raid 0 drives.

Maybe I played resident evil 4 too much.
Old 29th August 2007, 13:06   #7
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

played the demo now (on 8500 GT DDR3) the game starts out pretty promising, good atmosphere, but then it seems to turn into a full blown FPS shooter with little to no story?
Old 29th August 2007, 13:15   #8
Rutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
played the demo now (on 8500 GT DDR3) the game starts out pretty promising, good atmosphere, but then it seems to turn into a full blown FPS shooter with little to no story?
Actually the story is the one thing that is perfect through the whole game, if you collect the diaries and explore the levels. Even the endings are decent (altough they can't compete with the end sequences of Aquanox 1 and 2, which are the reference for impressive endings).

It is indeed true that the FPS part of the game is the weakest link alongside with the graphics. Stalker spoiled me there bigtime, even HL2 weapons feel "meh" now.

It is a problem that this game was sold as the second coming of christ which raised the expectations too much. Also it has much less competition on consoles which further fuels the hype.

Old 1st September 2007, 18:32   #9
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I'm missing self shadow, max details shows no shadows of the player, the scene in the demo with the crib shows you nice dynamic shadow on the wall, of the crib and the woman hanging over it, yet when I stand in front of the light, no shadow ? :/

bioshock-bioshock-2004-01-01-22-11-03-29.jpg

also noticed clipping issues, the fish tail at the top of the wall deco is sticking out... did they rush the map making?
Old 7th September 2007, 01:20   #10
mentalcrisis00

I actually uninstalled the game last night without beating it, got kind of sick of it really. It's a decent game but I expected more, the embedded securom is what pisses me off. It's giving some people trouble when playing dvds or videos especially on vista which is what I have. And it's almost impossible to remove, you have to null it with regenull software to delete the registry items then use moveonboot to delete the rest of it but I still can't get rid of the securom folder or these 2 files with gibberish writing.

PAIN IN THE BUTT

I mainly got weary of gameplay, same stuff over and over and hacking got to be a big pain, it's neat at first but gets very tiring. I had some high hopes for it being the first DX10 game but DX10 doesn't even hardly do anything, I at least can't see a difference between DX10 and DX9 in game. Not to mention it takes up 6GB of disk space, which is alot for a game even by todays standards. If i remember correctly HL2 and doom 3 only took up at most 3 GB's.

I would have been just as satisfied if I had waited to buy it and just played the demo, but my idiot friend was raving about it so I jumped over to gamestop on release. *regrets-a-plenty*

Shaders also seem to be a huge bug with this game, some people have none, the UI characters hand and weapon go black in shadowed places for some, others have completely black shaders or worse. Have you tried turning shader detail to max? see if that makes any difference? Thats really as far as my thinking takes me. The thread for pc problems on 2k forums is like 2000 entries long or something rediculas like that.

Last edited by mentalcrisis00 : 7th September 2007 at 01:22.

Closed Thread