It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

 
Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
22 / 24 inch monitor 22 / 24 inch monitor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


22 / 24 inch monitor
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 4th October 2008, 11:17   #1
SuAside
 
Posts: n/a
Default 22 / 24 inch monitor

Hey guys,

It's been a quite a long time since I last came around here. Too busy at work would be my excuse (51 hour workweek this week, and then more than one hour driving up and another hour driving back home, means little spare time :P ).

But anyhow, my old 19" (normal aspect ratio) just died and I need some advice on a monitor. I'd go for 22" or 24" widescreen.

Most stuff done on it will be browsing & text, but I do hope to have some spare time in which to game soon-ish.
So no uberslow Acer panels, if you please. I have one at work, and they're good price/qual for normal textbased stuff, but gaming is often no-go. Last I checked their response times were up to 5 times as high as advertised.

Last I heard, the Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM & Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW were good deals, but I've been out of the loop for quite some time.

Looking to spend between 200 and 350 euros. And the model should be available in Belgium (alternate.be, tones.be, forcom.be, whatever, as long as they deliver because i don't have time to go fetch it myself).

Thanks!
 
Old 4th October 2008, 19:30   #2
Kougar
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Best 24" in my humble opinion is the 2408WFP. I own the 2407WFP (not even the HC model) and I love it. No idea on availability where you're at though, sorry. Ya should at least look at that one before moving on to any others.
 
Old 4th October 2008, 22:06   #3
SuAside
 
Posts: n/a
Default

couldn't really find those right away.

i'm really leaning towards the 2493HM atm, especially for gaming. (i don't care it doesn't do 1:1 pixelmapping at 1080p, because i don't intend to use it on an xbrick or a ps3)
 
Old 5th October 2008, 02:13   #4
Kougar
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I'm not that knowledgeable about Samsung models... I know they make some very good monitors, but could never keep track of which model was which. Seems to be a few dead pixel issues with that specific Samsung model, just so ya know.
 
Old 5th October 2008, 09:33   #5
Madshrimp
 
jmke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 7090/Belgium
Posts: 78,612
jmke has disabled reputation
Default

I've three 2493HM , two are pixel perfect, third one makes a buzzing noise. picture quality is on par with a €500 20" Dell TFT I had before which was quite good to begin with
__________________
jmke is offline  
Old 5th October 2008, 10:16   #6
SuAside
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
I'm not that knowledgeable about Samsung models... I know they make some very good monitors, but could never keep track of which model was which. Seems to be a few dead pixel issues with that specific Samsung model, just so ya know.
Alternate offers additional pixel warranty, but that means 349 + 40 euros, bringing me to 390 euros + shipping. so totalling at 400 euros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
I've three 2493HM , two are pixel perfect, third one makes a buzzing noise. picture quality is on par with a 500 20" Dell TFT I had before which was quite good to begin with
where did you get yours Jmke?
 
Old 5th October 2008, 15:22   #7
La Brunette
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi,
I'm not 100% sure about this but I think that the 2232BW is still one of the "old" samsung models for wich you would need the verify the reference code of the LCD panel installed: Based on that code, you will find if the panel monitor is a good quality panel or not. Samsung got major issue with the 22 inch series like the 225 and 226BW.

I would propose you the T220 frm samsung. If you want to go a bit higher, you could look at the T220HD or T240..

I have seen the T220 for approx 240 / 260 in Belgium ... Look at alternate.be

Hope this helps.

Good luck

La Brunette.
 
Old 5th October 2008, 15:53   #8
SuAside
 
Posts: n/a
Default

atm i'm wondering if i should take the additional pixel warranty or not... ugh, choices choices. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Brunette View Post
Hi,
I'm not 100% sure about this but I think that the 2232BW is still one of the "old" samsung models for wich you would need the verify the reference code of the LCD panel installed: Based on that code, you will find if the panel monitor is a good quality panel or not. Samsung got major issue with the 22 inch series like the 225 and 226BW.
well, i was pretty sure i'd move to 24", so consider it the last confirmation that i shouldn't even look into 22".

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Brunette View Post
I would propose you the T220 frm samsung. If you want to go a bit higher, you could look at the T220HD or T240..

I have seen the T220 for approx 240 / 260 in Belgium ... Look at alternate.be
i don't remember in which review i read it, but for actual computer use, it said the 2493HM was superior to the T240.
 
Old 5th October 2008, 16:22   #9
La Brunette
 
Posts: n/a
Default

how long will you use your monitor ?
if more than 2 years ->I would really suggest you to purchase the extra warranty....

tx
 
Old 5th October 2008, 16:45   #10
SuAside
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Brunette View Post
how long will you use your monitor ?
if more than 2 years ->I would really suggest you to purchase the extra warranty....
the extra warranty only covers the first year.

normal Samsung warranty will only replace the monitor if there's more than "2 stuck black pixels" OR "2 stuck white pixels" OR "5 busted subpixels".

but i'd totally loathe the fact that i'd buy a brand new monitor and get stuck with 2 friggin' dead pixels...
 
Closed Thread


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does a fraction of an inch really matter for monitor panels? jmke WebNews 1 12th March 2008 21:51
Acer AL2216W 22 Inch LCD Monitor jmke WebNews 0 9th October 2007 09:38
Samsung SyncMaster 275T 27 Inch LCD Monitor jmke WebNews 0 16th April 2007 19:17
HannsG HC174DP 17 Inch TFT Monitor jmke WebNews 0 15th November 2006 14:40
Philips 200WB7 20 inch WSXGA LCD Widescreen Monitor jmke WebNews 0 25th July 2006 08:31
Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20 Inch LCD Monitor jmke WebNews 0 29th June 2006 14:07

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:56.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO