It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
1 Keynote > entire CES 1 Keynote > entire CES
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

1 Keynote > entire CES
Closed Thread

Old 22nd January 2008, 23:34   #21
Shogun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgal View Post
Macbook Air can borrow other computer's cd/dvd drives over the network. Apple developed special software so you don't need to use a connected external drive if you don't want to. Works on windows and mac OS'es by the way.
I was rather bummed that the Apple show floor reps were unable to actually show this working properly when we were all watching. If it works, great... if it doesn't work...

Regardless of what anyone says, I will ALWAYS want to have an ethernet port in my notebook, even if that means carrying something a little bit thicker. Unless I am lounging on the couch ready to pass out, my notebook always is connected to the Internet via cat5e cable.

I still believe the MacBook Air was designed specifically for the Apple fanboys, and no one else...

I am curious to hear what reviewers say after they've had real time to play with the MBA.

Old 23rd January 2008, 08:06   #22
[M] Reviewer

thorgal Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
I was rather bummed that the Apple show floor reps were unable to actually show this working properly when we were all watching. If it works, great... if it doesn't work...

Regardless of what anyone says, I will ALWAYS want to have an ethernet port in my notebook, even if that means carrying something a little bit thicker. Unless I am lounging on the couch ready to pass out, my notebook always is connected to the Internet via cat5e cable.

I still believe the MacBook Air was designed specifically for the Apple fanboys, and no one else...

I am curious to hear what reviewers say after they've had real time to play with the MBA.
I agree with the fact that it would better work But it wasn't possible to show it to you because the feature requires Mac OS 10.5.2, which isn't finished or available yet. Also, for the price they could have included the external drive I think.

Ethernet port : the USB dongle works quite good if you absolutely need ethernet. I for one have not used it for years on my Powerbook. But I agree they should include the dongle for free.

To say that MBA is designed for Apple fanboys only : I think you're wrong on that one, but only the future will provide the answers there. And no, I'm not an Apple fanboy, I critisize them all the time on the dedicated forums, and I won't buy a MBA just because Apple thinks it's great, but I still use other Apple products, and rather like most of there stuff.

Closed Thread