It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
1 Keynote > entire CES 1 Keynote > entire CES
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

1 Keynote > entire CES
Closed Thread

Old 17th January 2008, 10:26   #11
Rutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
only 1 USB is not enough, no ethernet either? no thanks. has NOTHING TO DO with "old junk". did you read our posts?
DVD drives have been replaced by USB sticks

Ethernet has been replaced by Wireless

the need for more USB ports has been replaced by putting in a good trackpad and keyboard in, so you only need 1 port to put your USB stick in

Old 17th January 2008, 14:53   #12
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Wireless is vastly inferior to Wired networks: speed, security, reliability.
Don't know why you bring up DVDs when all I want to do is have 2 more USB ports? No laptop keyboard or trackpad is decent enough for long workhours in my humble opinion
Old 17th January 2008, 15:15   #13
Kougar

Most definitely.... the Macbook Air is a great concept, but any long time laptop user will have a real mouse. That is one USB port. Flash drive or two, 2nd USB port. DVD, CD, or optical drive, three ports. I'm not sure how Apple does their stuff (?) but an optical drive is needed if you update firmware, BIOS, or other things for some systems. At this rate the Macbook Air user is going to need to carry around a large USB hub.

What I am curious about is what battery life under XP would be, by direct comparison to Mac OS X? Not to mention undervolting that CPU and locking it at 600-800MHz as well. I have the feeling 7 hours battery life might be easily workable....

Old 17th January 2008, 18:38   #14
[M] Reviewer

thorgal Freshly Registered

Macbook Air can borrow other computer's cd/dvd drives over the network. Apple developed special software so you don't need to use a connected external drive if you don't want to. Works on windows and mac OS'es by the way.

I'm in doubt to get a MBA though, as for a few 100 more you got a damn good Macbook Pro. My Powerbook G4 is getting too old to do any serious multimedia work on, and my battery needs replacing fast (lasts me about 1/2 hour max nowadays). I could get a new battery of course but the machine is just not worth it any more (5 years old). After 5 years I still use it every day though jmke, and it's fast enough to do anything but multimedia. I can't tell the difference surfing the web or using office on this one compared to my latest PC's.

Old 17th January 2008, 19:10   #15
Rutar

I think I've found one thing that is undeniable bad about the MBA: The glossy display.

Old 17th January 2008, 20:33   #16
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

@Thorgal: G4 is different breed compared to PCs, was comparing PCs

Air doesn't have slim-line DVD drive? good luck playing that DVD movie on your next trip
Old 17th January 2008, 20:53   #17
[M] Reviewer

thorgal Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
@Thorgal: G4 is different breed compared to PCs, was comparing PCs

Air doesn't have slim-line DVD drive? good luck playing that DVD movie on your next trip
It's external indeed (usb powered), and its biggest drawback to me, along with its too slow 1.8" hard drive (you can go SSD if you're rich though ). Single usb and no ethernet doesn't bother me, I've got a usb to ethernet adapter if need be, and keyboards/mice can work over bluetooth. Only need the usb for the memory stick or the cd-drive, or perhaps to print.

Other drawbacks : slow integrated video card (Intel 3100), non-upgradeble ram (soldered), non user-removable battery. Apple does offer a battery replacement service which costs no more than a normal battery for its other portables, but still, if you run out of juice, play-time is over

The air is obviously unsuited to be used as your single PC, but it could work as an add on to a powerful desktop, in my humble opinion of course.

Old 18th January 2008, 16:24   #18
Kougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgal View Post
Macbook Air can borrow other computer's cd/dvd drives over the network. Apple developed special software so you don't need to use a connected external drive if you don't want to. Works on windows and mac OS'es by the way.

I'm in doubt to get a MBA though, as for a few 100 more you got a damn good Macbook Pro. My Powerbook G4 is getting too old to do any serious multimedia work on, and my battery needs replacing fast (lasts me about 1/2 hour max nowadays). I could get a new battery of course but the machine is just not worth it any more (5 years old). After 5 years I still use it every day though jmke, and it's fast enough to do anything but multimedia. I can't tell the difference surfing the web or using office on this one compared to my latest PC's.
I have "borrowed" other computer's DVD drivers over my home network to install things on a DVDless computer... I seriously wouldn't suggest it. DRM makes it iffy if it will work and generally give you grief, and installing a 4GB application via a wireless connection is not fast.

I didn't know the battery was non-removeable... that kills it for me! I'm not paying shipping to Apple then paying Apple for them to replace the battery.

Old 22nd January 2008, 05:26   #19
Shogun

If it weren't for Steve Jobs getting on stage to talk to his lemmings (or followers, depending which one you want to go with) the entire Macworld show would be a complete waste. Honestly, the only reason I went to the show was for the keynote and then to play with the MacBook Air for a few minutes, while I tried to fight off throngs of Apple fanboys.

The MacBook Air is a decent enough product, but isn't even close to the $1800 retail for the base model. Here is what I really thought of the Air.

CES is IMO the better show for consumer gadgets that lie outside of the Apple spectrum.

Old 22nd January 2008, 09:42   #20
Rutar

testing the "typical punishment"

It is quite funny when everyone talks about the price. Around the superlight notebooks the MacNook is one of the cheapest (ever looked at the price of the Sony TZ?). A 64 GB SSD disk upgrade costs MORE at Dell than it costs at Apple.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/anoth...killer_emerges

riiiight, 3600 $

Also everyone talking about what the MBA does not have forget that there already is a MB that has almost all of it, so why should Apple introduce more of the same?

Last edited by Rutar : 22nd January 2008 at 10:23.

Closed Thread