It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice
1 Keynote > entire CES 1 Keynote > entire CES
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

1 Keynote > entire CES
Closed Thread

Old 16th January 2008, 10:34   #1
Rutar

Default 1 Keynote > entire CES

Apple just has the more interesting stuff that is more usable

Old 16th January 2008, 12:38   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

linky? )
Old 16th January 2008, 12:45   #3
Rutar

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...rnal=fj2l3s9dm

Old 16th January 2008, 13:07   #4
Kougar

I disagree! The Apple Macbook Air is nice if you never plan to upgrade anything in it, but Intel's Menlow design is just neat... and its just the prototype for what they plan to do with it. A microCPU smaller then a fingernail that offers the performance of a Pentium M, that sounds far more "usable" to me.

Old 16th January 2008, 13:19   #5
Rutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
I disagree! The Apple Macbook Air is nice if you never plan to upgrade anything in it, but Intel's Menlow design is just neat... and its just the prototype for what they plan to do with it. A microCPU smaller then a fingernail that offers the performance of a Pentium M, that sounds far more "usable" to me.
Upgrade what?

It is meant that you can do Office tasks, browse the web and do your emails while being on the move. What do you need to upgrade for that?

I looked at the Asus EEE and didn't understand what was so great about it because the display, the keyboard and storage capacity were crap while the Air scores for the display, the keyboard AND the battery life, all the things that really matter when you work with a laptop a lot. The EEE is a gadget that will get old soon, the Air is something that you will use a lot.

Old 16th January 2008, 18:43   #6
Madshrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutar View Post
It is meant that you can do Office tasks, browse the web and do your emails while being on the move. What do you need to upgrade for that?
you don't want to surf the web on a 4-5 year old machine... unless you like really slow loading time and constant 100% usage
Old 16th January 2008, 22:08   #7
Kougar

I also do not like the ASUS EE PC. However that said in direct comparison the EE has 2 or 4 USB ports (Not just the Airbook's single port!), and at least the EE PC will support more wireless standards besides 11n, such as WiMAX. The Macbook Air does not even have an ethernet port on it, it is either 11n or nothing. Only 2GB of RAM with no ability to upgrade, and if you think the EE PC's SSD is slow you should wait to see about that weak 1.8" hard drive.

Maybe when the 45nm version comes out and Apple has ironed out the regular litany of undiscovered bugs, and dropped the price perhaps...

If you are so hot on the Macbook Air, then just calculate the battery life Menlow would give you if it replaced the LV Core 2 Duo in there.

Old 16th January 2008, 22:20   #8
Madshrimp

only 1USB and no Ethernet? FAIL
Old 17th January 2008, 09:01   #9
Rutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
you don't want to surf the web on a 4-5 year old machine... unless you like really slow loading time and constant 100% usage
I actually have such a notebook and it works just fine for that.

The Air is a revolutionary product because it dares to cut off old junk.

Old 17th January 2008, 09:15   #10
Madshrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutar View Post
I actually have such a notebook and it works just fine for that.
I disagree, I have a 5 year old laptop to work with, Compaq EVO series, it's very very slow, not fun to watch photos on (takes ages to load) no fun to try and run music (MP3) and surf (audio stutters), no fun to visit media heavy webpages (CPU @ 100% all the time). strangely enough, the stagnation of CPU/MEM interface speed increase was not that long ago, a 2-3 year old system can still serve very well as "surf-station" but older... no thanks

Quote:
The Air is a revolutionary product because it dares to cut off old junk.
only 1 USB is not enough, no ethernet either? no thanks. has NOTHING TO DO with "old junk". did you read our posts?