It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > For Sale - LAN Parties - Other > Off-Topic Hangout
Where art meets science Where art meets science
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Where art meets science
Closed Thread

Old 9th November 2005, 18:11   #31
FreeStyler

Quote:
Originally posted by lazyman
Chlorine is manufactured industrially as a by-product in the manufacture of Caustic Soda by the electrolysis of brine.
2 NaCl + 2 H2O ==> Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH
This process was carried out in Kellner-Solvay Cells, using Mercury and Carbon as the electrodes. However, due to the toxicity of mercury, the modern version of the process uses metal electrodes with special membranes in the electrolytic cells.
Electrolisys, AKA adding extrernal energy in the form of electricity to create a reaction. Meaning that the reaction would normally take place the other way around creating energy, instead of soaking up energy from the galaxy to do it like this.
There are some reactions wich can absorb energy, but only because the molecules created after the reaction are more stable then the ones before.
Global warming would be solved in a second if there was a reaction that could absorb energy.

Old 9th November 2005, 20:07   #32
Zwaplat

-'This' is not the thread. 'This' is chemical reactions.
Water does not change to H2 and O2 when it vaporizes. That's something even 14-year olds know here.

-2 NaCl + 2 H2O => Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH
Sodium Chloride + water => Chlorine + hygrogen + Sodium Hydroxide

You now have your hydrogen gas.

Without the term 'electrolysis' this is utter nonsense.

-I am now in my second year of Biomedical Laboratory Technology, option Pharmaceutic and Biological Techniques. Not university, highschool (that's what we call it, it's college in the USA I believe).
I also had 4 years chemistry in highschool.
And I'm planning on finishing my studies, and I'm pretty good succeeding at that, atm.

Oh btw, Anorganic, Organic, Analytical and Biochemistry are my main courses. And I'm not all that bad at them.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to work on a report about the effects and working mechanism of curare, and namely on the main molecule that causes the effects: d-tubocurarine.

Edit: I'll admit that I don't know anything about motorcycles. Happy?

Old 9th November 2005, 20:50   #33
Zwaplat

And now, for something completely on-topic: http://www.rsc.org/images/firefly-200_tcm18-33993.jpg
Pretty nifty, those fireflies.

Old 9th November 2005, 21:36   #34
[M] Reviewer

Sidney Freshly Registered

I provided a link and listed the contents. Why are you pointing the finger at me.

http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/chem/dol...m/elem017.html

Good luck to your study. I did finish my degree and hope you will too.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 9th November 2005, 21:37   #35
[M] Reviewer

Sidney Freshly Registered

This was never the thread; read from the beginning.

In the U.S. engineering studies must have social study before a degree could be earned ..... something you should consider.

Regarding you didn't know anything about motorcycle has nothing to do with my happiness. However, like a 19-year old student in motorcycle mechanic school may say "not knowing motorcycle is an *** couldn't balance himself with two legs walking".

Quote:
Water does not change to H2 and O2 when it vaporizes. That's something even 14-year olds know here.

-2 NaCl + 2 H2O => Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH
Sodium Chloride + water => Chlorine + hygrogen + Sodium Hydroxide

You now have your hydrogen gas.

Without the term 'electrolysis' this is utter nonsense.
Man has gone to the moon is utter nonsense - without mentioning Apollo 11. Are you stupid or what?

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Closed Thread