It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > For Sale - LAN Parties - Other > Off-Topic Hangout
New camera... New camera...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New camera...
Closed Thread

Old 2nd January 2009, 13:53   #51
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
using a tripod for the 1st one?
Advisable, a pole can do the job too though, I think I had my camera hanging in a hek.

Old 2nd January 2009, 14:19   #52
wutske

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffrey View Post
Cool pics

Forgot about this thread... underneath a picture of the Orion constellation as seen in Belgium in mid december. Orion is one of the easier to be found constellations but can only be viewed in Belgium during the winter, you can recognize it from its tree central stars (Orion's belt) surrounded by 4 other bright stars. Just underneath Orion's belt you can spot 3 other bright stars very close to eachother, in fact one of these is not a star but stardust instead. Drawing a line through Orion's belt and then following that line to the right you'll spot a bright orange/red colored star. This star is part of the Taurus constellation and often referred to as the red eye of the bull. In the top right you can spot the Pleiads, a group of new stars also found in the Taurus constellation, they are not part of the constellation though. The Pleiads are often referred to as the 7 nimf sisters, some myths tell us that Orion was after the Pleiads but due to jalusy killed and so placed in between the stars where nowadays he's still looking out for the Pleiads.

Following Orion's belt to the right you can spot Sirius, a very bright star which is part of the Canis Major constellation (Canis Major and Canis Minor are Orion's two hunting dogs). In fact Sirius is the most brightest star seen on earth if you're not taking the sun into account. Ancient Egyptians used Sirius to predict their seisons: the flood of the Nyle river.

Sharpness is a real problem though, picture above is taken with F2 and 20s shutter, ISO 200.

Next, the moon, quite different settings...
F8, ISO 64 and shutter 1/6s

Using a higher f-number should increase sharpness a bit. A lower exposure time should help too because the spinning of the earth causes some motion blur.

Nice shot of the starts, you don't see them very often here in Belgium

Old 2nd January 2009, 14:29   #53
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

You get earth's motion blur with 15~30s exposure? Next time I'll try F3~4.

Old 2nd January 2009, 14:47   #54
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
You get earth's motion blur with 15~30s exposure?
I think Wutske is living on another Earth
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:50   #55
wutske

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
I think Wutske is living on another Earth
I've already had motion blur with my camera (and it won't allow exposure times over 30s), it varies depending on which stars (direction) your pointing at.

Old 3rd January 2009, 12:11   #56
[M] Reviewer

the closer to the horizon, the more rotation?

Old 3rd January 2009, 13:31   #57
wutske

Further away from the polar star = more rotation I guess.

Old 4th January 2009, 22:09   #58
[M] Reviewer

that's the best way to put it yes, living near the equator the polar star would be positioned close to the horizon... you have no rotational speed at both earth's poles, you'e rotating around yourself.

Old 15th February 2009, 15:48   #59
diezel

nice pictures

Old 4th May 2009, 23:16   #60
[M] Reviewer

First HDR test, conclusion, I need a tripod

Attached Thumbnails
new-camera-hdr_dsc00792_3_4.jpg new-camera-hdr_dsc00818_19_20_21.jpg new-camera-hdr_dsc00827_28_29_30_31.jpg

Closed Thread