It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > For Sale - LAN Parties - Other > Off-Topic Hangout
Fixing the Nikon Fixing the Nikon
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fixing the Nikon
Closed Thread

Old 27th December 2005, 13:39   #1
TeuS

Default Fixing the Nikon

I've told lazyman before that I had some shrouding issues with the latest films I made. I could have pm'ed him this as well. anyway, the shroud is very well visible in the following photo:

at my local pro shop, both the old and the young man said it was due tot he rubber that rot over the 25yrs we've got the camera. when removing the rear lid, there are on top and on the bottom a groove filled with some rubber. that rubber was rot, but shouldn't be real issue because the groove is U-shaped, and the rear lid fits into that. double protection, but there's some light that gets into the camera anyway. it should be sent to Nikon repair service as a "big repair", not cheap!

thank god I ran into that old man, working in a shop. n/o he sold me a llot of his stuff for little money, he also knew why I got that shroud: on the right of the camera, where the exposed film gets wound up, there is NO U-shaped groove. that caused photos that were recently taken, to get exposed to a bit of light getting inside he bottom right of the camera. just a regular closing. that rubber was really worthless and let light slip through.
a strip of self-adhesive rubber did the trick. I've put some more crap mousse on the end because it was a little bit too short

while I was at it, I replaced the rubber of the mirror when it locks up. its no pretty mousse though. I've got some fine self-adhesive mousse thats better. but would you prefer a rather soft material that gets pressed together a bit by the mirror that goes up, or a material that's denser and doesn't get pressed together at all?
it's to know what's better to damp the vibration when it locks up.

it's still a damn good camera by the way. the full copper body is like a tank. and it gives that nice aggressive CLACK sound when making a photo + a long resonating sound. those wimpy plastic slr's just make a little "clic". its only fun when you keep pressing the shutter button in "sequence" mode so it makes a machine-gun like noise. scared the crap out of me when I unknowingly played with someone's camera in that mode

I'd say, they don't make quality stuff like that nowadays. But yet they do, who's got $1000 spare for an FM3 can always send it my way

Old 27th December 2005, 14:04   #2
[M] Reviewer

Sidney Freshly Registered

Quote:
strip of self-adhesive rubber did the trick
That's what I used to fix mine

Digital camera like the Cannon using single reflex (film) lenses is the way to go. I have heard Nikon is coming out with bodies which use current single reflex lenses.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 27th December 2005, 14:25   #3
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by lazyman
Digital camera like the Cannon using single reflex (film) lenses is the way to go. I have heard Nikon is coming out with bodies which use
current single reflex lenses.
err.. please rephrase. digital bodies with the analog lenses?
modern film and digital lenses go pretty well together I think. Nikon makes a few digital bodies that support almost all lenses, like mine, but they're another 500$ more expensive then their DSLR for starters. I'd love to use my f/1.2 lens on a digital body. they fit bodies like the D75, but the diafragma ring doesn't work

btw, Mr Engineer, would you pick more dense or less dense mousse for the mirror?

Old 27th December 2005, 14:31   #4
[M] Reviewer

More dense.

Yes, digital bodies with analog lenses The bodies are expensive. I've heard Nikon is coming out with a body just for that purpose. Cannon already is doing this.

Old 27th December 2005, 14:49   #5
TeuS

thanks, I'll put the more dense mousse on it then.

D2X: In addition to DX Nikkor lenses, the D2X supports more than 50 AF Nikkor lenses
D2H: Broad compatibility with the AF Nikkor lens lineup and other accessories for Nikon professional digital and film SLRs

the D2H is getting old... nah, I even won't buy one 2nd handed. save money for a telelens etc. it still wouldn't beat my b/w photos.

trying Kodak 400Tri-X film for the first time tomorrow, I went with Tmax before. it's supposed to be damn good

Old 15th February 2006, 06:30   #6
[M] Reviewer

I find the macro lens to be the most useful; it is a different world when you get closer to the dirt; finding those little creatures, tiny flowers and plants. When you are into photography you are into it for life.

Closed Thread