It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > For Sale - LAN Parties - Other > Off-Topic Hangout
AAAAAAaaaargh AAAAAAaaaargh
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AAAAAAaaaargh
Closed Thread

Old 16th August 2005, 12:04   #31
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

piotke's average HW lifetime is 1 week
Old 16th August 2005, 12:10   #32
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke

@piotke: macOS is the most userfriendly OS out there, no question about that; windows copies everything from them. but it also improves on areas where macOS does not bother to look
Such as ? Just wondering

and lol at replies
Old 16th August 2005, 12:21   #33
[M] Reviewer

Bosw8er Freshly Registered

Average Joe (and i have A LOT of them in my neighbourhood, which i consider as "AAAAAAAaaaaaaarg") has Windows-OS and knows absolutly ZERO about how his PC works. The PC's are generally slow as hell after half a year (*), infected with viri +spyware, ... = almost unworkable PC. I consider windows too userfriendly and too plug and play ... When average Joe contacts me he has done some research and has tried to make the PC work better, which in 90% of the cases resulted in a completly unworkable PC.

Most of the average Joe's just use the pc mainly (= 90%) voor surfing, email, chat and an occasional office app. Other apps like movie-musicplayers, burnsoft, image-apps are also used but not very frequently.

I installed Ubuntu for such an average Joe and after 10-15 minutes configuring email and showing where he should click he started using it ... and is happy for 2 months now (the pc keeps on working perfectly). This average Joe says the Linux-OS is more userfriendly then the Windows-OS.

(*) My 566 celeron/64 MB Ram - notebook was A LOT faster then average Joe's 2Ghz Intel/512 MB ram - notebook
Old 16th August 2005, 12:40   #34
Madshrimp

would not want to come to an average joe LAN party in your neigbourhood
it'll be the most boring experience ever

luckily, the people replying here are no average's Joe's.
Old 16th August 2005, 12:56   #35
Madshrimp

my star sign is aquarius, this is true

Quote:
Aquarians basically possess strong and attractive personalities. They fall into two principle types: one shy, sensitive, gentle and patient; the other exuberant, lively and exhibitionist, sometimes hiding the considerable depths of their character under a cloak of frivolity. Both types are strong willed and forceful in their different ways and have strong convictions, though as they seek truth above all things, they are usually honest enough to change their opinions, however firmly held, if evidence comes to light which persuades them that they have been mistaken. They have a breadth of vision that brings diverse factors into a whole, and can see both sides of an argument without shilly-shallying as to which side to take. Consequently they are unprejudiced and tolerant of other points of view. This is because they can see the validity of the argument, even if they do not accept it themselves. They obey the Quaker exhortation to "Be open to truth, from whatever source it comes," and are prepared to learn from everyone.
Old 16th August 2005, 13:43   #36
[M] Reviewer

Quote:
luckily, the people replying here are no average's Joe's.
Can't implement Linux either because:
- Isabel-banking-program = windows only
- Own managing software uses MS Access forms as database-manager
- scanner doesn't work in Linux
- 56k fax-modem doesn't work in Linux
- Telephone-central software = windows only
- Door control security software = windows only

Finally managed to keep 6 pc's working 24/7, everything works fine and the only downtime is the reboot after a windows-update ... so there is no need for a switch.

hehe
Pisces:
Their natures tend to be too otherworldly for the practical purposes of living in this world as it is. They sometimes exist emotionally rather than rationally, instinctively more than intellectually (depending on how they are aspected). They long to be recognized as greatly creative. They also dislike disciple and confinement. The nine-to-five life is not for them. Any rebellion they make against convention is personal, however, as they often times do not have the energy or motivation to battle against the Establishment.
Old 16th August 2005, 15:00   #37
Madshrimp

thanks for that pratical, real world, example why Linux is no alternative and too restrictive

it's not linux's fault that more software is available for windows; but there's no denying that unless they get support from large companies, Windows will remain the most used, most supported, most available OS in the world
Old 16th August 2005, 15:35   #38
[M] Reviewer

Quote:
thanks for that pratical, real world, example why Linux is no alternative and too restrictive

it's not linux's fault that more software is available for windows; but there's no denying that unless they get support from large companies, Windows will remain the most used, most supported, most available OS in the world
While i agree with that statement, i ment to emphasize in one of the previous posts that:
- Linux is more user-friendly then generally thought of (n00b needs 15 min of instructions)
- Windows is less user-friendly then generaly thought of (PC becomes almost unworkable after a while, settings/configuration aren't straight forward ... for the average Joe's)

/for what it's worth/
I consider myself not being the average Joe when the subject is PC, but i got a windows-pc from a relative that is fubar. All HW works perfectly, but the OS was infected with about 1000 viri, spyware, malware, ... It took me about 4 hours non-stop before i could move precious data to an external hard-drive before formatting the soccer and re-installing windows ... i can hardly call that user-friendly. There was no way that relative could have handled the cleaning/recuperation himself.
Old 16th August 2005, 15:55   #39
Madshrimp

I agree windows is more open to these spyware and viri; but if well installed & protected you can have it running for years, no average Joe can **** up your install then.

I have a friend who installs PC for average Joe's 3-4 times each week, so he's got quite a large "user-base"; his installations are functional and stridy; no spyware or viri will enter those machines :-)
Old 16th August 2005, 16:26   #40
[M] Reviewer

Sidney Freshly Registered

I used Apple in 1986 when there wasn't "Windows" available at work. It was expensive then, and it is expensive now.

I have been also using Windows since the first day it came on the market.

The fact the matter is, unless you are into IT the choice for your OS if you are currently working for most (99%) companies is Windows.

As for as enterprise system, I can't speak for EU, SAP, BPICS, Baun and JDEdwards account for better than 90% of the business users.

Protection - for as long as you are "big", "popular", "90% of the market", you will be target for attacks.

To be different, and get the notice/attention, get the MAC. Girls like unusual guys

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Closed Thread