It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > For Sale - LAN Parties - Other > Off-Topic Hangout
AAAAAAaaaargh AAAAAAaaaargh
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AAAAAAaaaargh
Closed Thread

Old 16th August 2005, 10:41   #21
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I'm no average Joe, I like to play games on my machines, Linux/MacOS are no option

Star Wars Commando is a great game, no console material.
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swrepubliccommando/

Mac Mini with 512Mb and DVD Writer is ridiculously expensive;
Old 16th August 2005, 10:46   #22
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

650 euro is not ridicously expensive for a computer.

It doesn't offer the power of a 650 euro custom made PC, but it's smaller, stylish, dead quiet and very userfriendly.

And i'm not talking about the best computer for you, but for the average joe. : )
Old 16th August 2005, 10:48   #23
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke

I don't buy 6800GT to NOT play games; so *fck* linux
third time it's being stated here... linux is not for games, indeed. let's drop that subject okay... computers are for MUCH more then just gaming

Quote:

we're not talking about companies; we're talking about home use. No official support, not worth the effort. Too restrictive; not as user friendly.
I wonder how many people actually requested official support from Microsoft. or I don't get your point, I haven't heard anything like "official support" from m$ yet.

oh, and for that you need a legal windows too, right?
that adds even more to the total price of a PC.

we're not going to turn this into another linux vs windows retard fight, but eh... please explain "restrictive"

linux is more difficult, indeed. in companies, admins do the hard and difficult work. they make the machines work-ready. any user can use linux, navigate through the menus and do what they want to do like handling mail, surfing, office work, etc.. there's not much knowledge nor skill needed to do that, right?

for the slightly better home user (who uses his pc daily) is the learning curve in the beginning much harder indeed, but the users will get used to it. maintaining machines will take less time in the long run. windows works right away, but isn't that good in the long run.

linux gives you a great insight in your own machine, windows doesn't. they just close off everything. just to say something, a linux user can build his own desktop very easily.

Old 16th August 2005, 10:55   #24
Madshrimp

Quote:
Originally posted by TeuS

I haven't heard anything like "official support" from m$ yet..
windowsupdate.microsoft.com ?

restrictive indeed, less plug and play, not as easy. Restrictive as you need to take 3 actions to accomplish something you can do in 1 step in Windows.
sure people use their PC for MORE then JUST gaming, but I'm not going to SWITCH OS everytime I want to play a game.

this is not a windows vs linux vs MacOS thread; I'm just sick of people claiming that Mac/Linux can offer a complete replacement for Windows, which is complete horsecrap
Old 16th August 2005, 11:03   #25
TeuS

Quote:

windowsupdate.microsoft.com ?

restrictive indeed, less plug and play, not as easy. Restrictive as you need to take 3 actions to accomplish something you can do in 1 step in Windows.

sure people use their PC for MORE then JUST gaming, but I'm not going to SWITCH OS everytime I want to play a game.
ever heard of "apt" or "yum"? they're called packet managers

in the commandline, type "apt-get update" or "yum update". let it search for updates. press Y. done.

install a package: apt-get install/yum install "yourpackagename". let it fetch it off the net. press Y. done.
or just rpm -i "yourpackage.rpm"

under windows: click endlessly through all kinds of useless dialogs. apt/yum doesn't work in ALL distro's, but each distro has such kind of system.

anyway, will we let this discussion get useless or constructive?

Old 16th August 2005, 11:11   #26
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

Quote:
this is not a windows vs linux vs MacOS thread; I'm just sick of people claiming that Mac/Linux can offer a complete replacement for Windows, which is complete horsecrap
It's not a replacement for you. It's a replacement for many. Linux / MacOSX is not a replacement for the gaming community... and probably won't be for several years (if ever).

@ teus: for the average user one simple command is still 10x more difficult to learn than clicking through 10 dialogs which requires absolutly no knowledge.

Imagine if you had to learn a manual for everything you have, just to be able to use it a bit faster...
Old 16th August 2005, 11:43   #27
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by RichBa5tard
@ teus: for the average user one simple command is still 10x more difficult to learn than clicking through 10 dialogs which requires absolutly no knowledge.

Imagine if you had to learn a manual for everything you have, just to be able to use it a bit faster...
that's true, I know. but if the company/network is larger, it's possible for the regular users to not use the command line at all. you've got to be pretty motivated and handy with computers to start working with the command prompt. the step from being a graphical user to a commandline user is still too big for most of the users. some package managers are already graphical but there's still plenty of work to be done.

Old 16th August 2005, 11:49   #28
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

@John:

Updates: MAC OS has a same thing as windows update.

Installation, no need for that. Every program is one file and it runs (exept for special software like java) that is a real installation...

Updating is also easy, the Mac update software edits these files when needed...

For you Linux or Mac can't bring a solution, but for everything except gaming, both of them are SuperB operating systems. With the MacOS way ahead when it comes to userfriendlyness.

I admit it, the first hours when I had my iBook I wanted to sell it immediately. But after a couple of hours, when you get used to MAcOS it's a dream.

Conclusion, for most people a mac would be perfect. No (or almost none) spyware and virusses... Rock stable (ibook has uptime of over a month)
Old 16th August 2005, 12:00   #29
Madshrimp

I never said Mac/Linux is not a decent OS; it's simply no Windows replacement.
my Windows box has uptime for months also, and stable since first install years ago.

@Teus: get yummyflummy commandline is not user friendly. you just proved my point about linux being more restrictive, thanks

@piotke: macOS is the most userfriendly OS out there, no question about that; windows copies everything from them. but it also improves on areas where macOS does not bother to look
Old 16th August 2005, 12:03   #30
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

Quote:
Originally posted by piotke
I admit it, the first hours when I had my iBook I wanted to sell it immediately...
That's no argument. Everything you have you want to sell immediatly.
Closed Thread