It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > For Sale - LAN Parties - Other > Off-Topic Hangout
AAAAAAaaaargh AAAAAAaaaargh
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AAAAAAaaaargh
Closed Thread

Old 15th August 2005, 10:07   #11
wutske

It's not that I want to switch completely to linux, I'll still (and probablly mostly) use windows. I just want to learn linux and that's more lilely going to happen when I use more often than just booting it starting F@H.

Old 15th August 2005, 13:45   #12
TeuS

I can agree with jmke, windows can be very easy indeed, but there are in my humble opinion too many things wrong with it. both technically and ethically.

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
Linux (too difficult and restrictive)
difficult, okay. but don't call it 'restrictive', that word can only appriopriately be used when you're used to linux and work on a windows machine. the point of linux is that it enables you to do anything with it.

Old 15th August 2005, 14:15   #13
[M] Reviewer

DUR0N Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by TeuS
I can agree with jmke, windows can be very easy indeed, but there are in my humble opinion too many things wrong with it. both technically and ethically.

difficult, okay. but don't call it 'restrictive', that word can only appriopriately be used when you're used to linux and work on a windows machine. the point of linux is that it enables you to do anything with it.
'DirectX' Just about covers it.
Old 15th August 2005, 15:00   #14
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

thank you Duron
(check mail plz)

so, yep, linux IS restrictive; there is not a lot of commercially supported software available for it either when compared to the windows world
Old 16th August 2005, 09:41   #15
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by DUR0N

'DirectX' Just about covers it.
true... but that's because it's closed windows software. linux isn't meant for gaming

Quote:
yep, linux IS restrictive; there is not a lot of commercially supported software available for it either when compared to the windows world
for professional companies, there are distributions like redhat that sell enterprise editions, with support.

Old 16th August 2005, 10:28   #16
Madshrimp

Quote:
Originally posted by TeuS

linux isn't meant for gaming
I don't buy 6800GT to NOT play games; so *fck* linux

Quote:

for professional companies, there are distributions like redhat that sell enterprise editions, with support.
we're not talking about companies; we're talking about home use. No official support, not worth the effort. Too restrictive; not as user friendly.
Old 16th August 2005, 10:52   #17
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

Quote:
the Mac Mini or Emac offers less hardware power then PC counterpart and is no good alternative. you can not game on it, and you need a G4 or G5 to really enjoy the multimedia experience of the Mac
For 450 euro you can't but a PC that is so small, such capabilities and, don't forget, such looks...

There was recently a newspost on tweakers that said the profit on the MacMini was huge. Could be, but in the comments sections people started making calculations.. For a bit less of the MAC price you have an normal office computer. You won't tell me you have an gaming computer for ~450 euro.

case: 35 euro
CPU sempron: 60 euro
mainboard: 40 euro
512 Mem: 60 euro
DVD: 25 euro
HDD 80 gig: 55 euro
VGA (9200): 40 euro
totals: 315 euro.

That is less than the mac, but it's a huge case, and it isn't a gmining system at all....

The mac Mini is a very good model for trying out the Mac feeling. Not that much money for what you get...

Quote:

we're not talking about companies; we're talking about home use. No official support, not worth the effort. Too restrictive; not as user friendly.
What keeps you -as a home user- away from buying a linux version with support ? Redhat is the most expensive one, as it is often used for servers and stuff...

But I know that Suse has/had a very payable box, with a manual, and support, the price was ~60 euro...

For gaming, both Linux and MacOS suck. I have to agree with that, but I don't game, Needed a very stable OS where I still could toy around, en hopsa MacOS
Old 16th August 2005, 11:12   #18
Madshrimp

Quote:
Originally posted by piotke

What keeps you -as a home user- away from buying a linux version with support ?
gaming and multimedia;

read Anandtech's thoughts on the Mac Mini, they are the same as mine. the mini is fun to try out the MacOS; but it's too slow to be used as primairy PC, and too expensive of a gadget just for "fun"
Old 16th August 2005, 11:15   #19
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

A primary PC sould do:

Surfing
Mail and stuff
Movie

The iBook I have has a weaker content then the mac mini and does this all perfectly, whithout a hitch !
Old 16th August 2005, 11:35   #20
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

8 out of 10 ppl i know don't use their PC for gaming, and don't need (nor want) a loud, big 3.5Ghz monster.

The mac mini with 512mb has more than enough power for the average joe... including me.
Closed Thread