It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
watery effects watery effects
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

watery effects
Closed Thread

Old 25th February 2007, 02:23   #1
Shrimpy

Default watery effects

Hi folks 1st time posting. I just built a rig for my son for xmas and we are getting shimmery effects across the top and bottom 2 inches of screen. Epox 9NPA71 939 board athlon 4000 2g kingston ram 700 watt OCZ p.s. W.D. hard drive BFG 7900GS. BFG tech says replace chipset drivers and use retro drivers (did that)and i can't find "just' chipset drivers it's the whole nforce enchilada or nothin. So much for BFG tech support. Here's the interesting part, I enabled "PGA pallet snoop" (don't know what that does :O )and that fixed the problem for a day and it came back but I installed programs like ad aware etc. Also it only happens in 2d apps like web surfing, word docs etc. not in games or on the screen saver. Not too big a deal so don't rack your brains but any suggestions appreciated and I am curious why pallet snoop fixed it albeit temporarily. THX

Old 25th February 2007, 09:27   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

Quote:
VGA Pallet Snoop is an old setting that is no longer in use. It used to open a PCI video cards pallet so that other devices could read or change the palette.
so you're running Windows XP with latest nvidia drivers for the board & VGA? what exactly is the effect you see in Windows 2D?
Old 25th February 2007, 18:09   #3
Shrimpy

Default watery effects

The best way to describe it jmke is watery effects or blurriness that "moves" like water if you threw a pebble in a pool. And it is only horizontally across the top 2 inches and bottom to 2 inches of desktop only when you open a browser or similar 2d application, the web page in the middle is fine same if you open a word document. I had the latest drivers installed but BFG tech had me roll them back to an earlier version and that didn't help. Call of Duty, Age of Empires, screensaver all look normal.

Old 25th February 2007, 18:24   #4
Madshrimp

what screen are you using, what refresh rate?
Old 25th February 2007, 18:53   #5
Shrimpy

Sorry jmke but i don't know what you mean by the screen I am using but the refresh rate is 60 hz

Old 25th February 2007, 19:24   #6
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpy View Post
Sorry jmke but i don't know what you mean by the screen I am using
Do you have a TFT monitor? What brand? Size?
Old 25th February 2007, 20:58   #7
Shrimpy

It is a KDS 19 inch CRT which worked find until this rebuild I upgraded an earlier system I built and the monitor was fine. Nothing is overclocked it's in a TT Xaser5 gaming case with 5 fans so the system is cool also.

Old 25th February 2007, 21:03   #8
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

You might want to ingrease the refresh rate, try 70Hz for example.
Old 25th February 2007, 21:41   #9
Madshrimp

you work at 60Hz on a CRT, ow ow, bad very for the eyes, look up the specs of the screen, at 1280x1024 it should be capable of 85Hz

for games you need to set refresh lock (default to 60hz) in advanced panel of nvidia
Old 25th February 2007, 23:29   #10
Shrimpy

don't luagh the only time I ever adjusted the refresh rate was on a gforce
TI 4200 and the card died shortly thereafter. After that I read on a tech site that if you up your refresh rate and your card can't handle it that's the quickest way to fry a video card so I figured I would just leave it alone. I think I upped the refresh rate than to 75hz HAHAHA ok you both win I'll turn it up.

Closed Thread