It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
SATA controller faster as IDE controller SATA controller faster as IDE controller
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SATA controller faster as IDE controller
Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2003, 01:57   #1

Bosw8er Freshly Registered
Default SATA controller faster as IDE controller

Just installed Abit NF7

Just wondering.

a) Do you get better performance when attaching an IDE disk to the sata controller in stead of the IDE controller ?

b) Is the sata controller considered as scsi or raid ? Because then the W2K OS will not recognise the disk if attached to the sata controller.
Old 1st May 2003, 05:44   #2
Magnum_

Win2K => all onboard raidcontrollers I've seen here are recognised as SCSI devices

I haven't tested it tho, disabled it the minute I got the board I don't think it will have great performance impact (ata100=>133=>150 :/ )

Old 1st May 2003, 10:56   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

small increase (very) by using the sata controller
no driver disk for the sata controller? Have not yet used a motherboard with sata so i don't know
Old 1st May 2003, 11:04   #4

I have a driver disk.

With scsi or raid you have to press F6 during setup W2K and insert the disk. There is no way to enable it afterwards besides doing a fresh install. Even in repair mode it gives errors.

I'm kinda puzzled if the sata is considered as scsi or raid and consequently i have to do a fresh install.

And i do not feel like doing a fresh install, just did one, 3 boring hours to set up everything correct-a-mundo. I switched the KR7A-R for the NF7 and the fresh image i made on the KR7A wouldn't work on the NF7 because of a different IDE controller ... always errors, no way to fix but formatting and re-installing.
Old 1st May 2003, 11:15   #5
FreeStyler

hmmm, What I've seen is that SATA is still a bit slower then normal ATA, mostly because of unopimized drivers.

If you use a SATA-PATA convertor that will slow things down, by a tiny bit more.

and indeed the fun of NT kernel. You got 95% chance that if you switch mobo's, or move drives around that it won't work.
If you're feeling frisky: the problem is most likely your boot.ini file.
There it states what drive ir should boot from.
Something in the line of controller(x)chanel(x)drive(x)partition(x)

Since this has changed if you move your drive, you could run into problems.
This wont help if you switched motherboards whose IDE controller is different, scince it needs other drivers.

Old 2nd May 2003, 13:43   #6
Falco

I have the same nf7-s mobo with sata, and I installed WinXP on my IDE-ATA disk, then use the sata converter and install the sata driver on the diskette. works fine

the upside : you can now connect 6 IDE devices

Old 2nd May 2003, 13:50   #7
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

Is a IDE disk with a serrirel adapter to S-ATA also hot plugable?
Old 4th May 2003, 18:54   #8
Falco

i guess so, I think performance is better when you have more then one HD

Old 2nd July 2003, 17:22   #9
david@mpl.be

Support for hotplug is controllerdependant - not all SATA controllers support hotplug out of the box. Theoretically, SATA is faster with 150mbps and only device per channel (so no latencies for competing devices on one cable). SATA<-> PATA adapters ruin the fun though, as they aren't 100% efficient either and there have been many problemreports (with dataloss as a consequence in many cases). If you are going for SATA, better use real SATA discs or discs that are worth the extra cash, e.g. wd's Raptor (only 36gb, but 10krpms with 5.2 ms access) makes for a nice bootsetup in a stripe hehe...

And yes, any NT-based OS (windows 2000, xp) requires you install bootdevice using F6 during bootup - they are indeed treated as SCSI devices for now.

Old 2nd July 2003, 17:41   #10

Already installed and formatted the raptor.

Cannot set it to boot though ... yet (haven't tried really hard, no time) on a NF7-S

The postscreen stops at the silicon raid controller when i set the raptor as bootdisk.

hehe, i'm not going for raptor in raid ... that's just 2 fast ... and would increase the chance changing/upgrading all the PC's at work ... because they would feel like pre-historic