It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
putty-apache-... Problems putty-apache-... Problems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

putty-apache-... Problems
Closed Thread

Old 9th February 2004, 03:19   #1
FreeStyler

Default putty-apache-... Problems

So i dug up my linux server from under the dust.
AMD K6-2 450. 128MB RAM, V3 2k, realtek based network.

Set it up using debian netinst. Works fine, made a user apart from root. Even managed to install apache as root. Then it starts: I can't find apache, let alone that I figure out how to run and configure it.

K, minor setback, but lets try remote control, that way I can dump the screen and KB. Tried using putty, but apparently I have to set up either a telnet server or a ssh (preffered, but it's a local network so I can live without it for a while).

Unfortuately the net is a bit TOO vast and infinite for this. googling for anything usefull is nearly impossible. With several thousand results, and nothing substantial enough to help me.

So can anyone give me some pointers regarding these 2 points. and some general n00b linux advice (good readme's and tutorials). Before the linux PC ends up at the bottom of the pile of trash I call spare parts... Again.

Old 9th February 2004, 04:44   #2
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

I'm not familiar with the "apt get" installer system of debian, but if you don't know either you can always compile from scratch with the source.

Starting your telnet deamon isn't hard if you use xinetd:
amd root # nano /etc/xinetd.d/telnetd
set disable to "no"
Quote:
service telnet
{
flags = REUSE
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
log_on_failure += USERID
disable = no
}
amd root # nano /etc/xinetd.conf
change only from to the ip range you want to allow connection from
(here = all ips)
Quote:
defaults
{
only_from = 0.0.0.0
instances = 60
log_type = SYSLOG authpriv info
log_on_success = HOST PID
log_on_failure = HOST
cps = 25 30
}

includedir /etc/xinetd.d
xinetd is started my initd:
amd root # /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
* Stopping xinetd...[ ok ]
* Starting xinetd... [ ok ]
amd root #

On client, type: telnet <ip> address

If you want to be able to use your root login on telnet, the tty has to be added to securtty. It could be the tty of the telnetsession is already in /etc/securetty, but if not, type #tty when loggid in through telnet and add the given tty to /etc/securetty.

Hope this helps.
Old 9th February 2004, 06:58   #3
TeuS

it should be pretty easy

as said in PM, freestyler:

apt-cache search apache
=> searches the server for apache.

apt-get install apache (if 'apache' is the right filename)

SSH should already be installed

the configuration files are prolly:
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
/etc/ssh/ssh_config and sshd_config

for better security, change the SSH port to something else.

to configure apache it's pretty easy, alter these settings to get it working:
1. servername
2. DocumentRoot
3. listen what ports you can use for apache
e.g. listen 8080

=> don't forget to open the port on the firewall

Old 9th February 2004, 07:12   #4
Maddy

Default Re: putty-apache-... Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeStyler
So can anyone give me some pointers regarding these 2 points. and some general n00b linux advice (good readme's and tutorials). Before the linux PC ends up at the bottom of the pile of trash I call spare parts... Again.
Did you allready see http://www.linux4you.be/netwerken.php?id=2

Old 9th February 2004, 14:35   #5
FreeStyler

where was the term "linux n00b" forgotten. Telling me what to do without telling me how to do it (or giving a good tut) is useless.

Anyway apache was installed already. Still can't find it, but it's running, since I get the placeholder page . The apt-get install apache works like a charm. Going good there, it also has some info about where everything is:
Configuration files can be found in /etc/apache.
The DocumentRoot, which is the directory under which all your HTML files should exist, is set to /var/www.
CGI scripts are looked for in /usr/lib/cgi-bin, which is where Debian packages will place their scripts.
Log files are placed in /var/log/apache, and will be rotated daily. The frequency of rotation can be easily changed by editing /etc/apache/cron.conf.
The default directory index is index.html, meaning that requests for a directory /foo/bar/ will give the contents of the file /var/www/foo/bar/index.html if it exists (assuming that /var/www is your DocumentRoot).
User directories are enabled, and user documents will be looked for in the public_html directory of the users' homes. These dirs should be under /home, and users will not be able to symlink to files they don't own.

That should entertain me for a while.
as for putty: this is a base debian install. NO extra packages were installed. (exept apache and dependancies by now) don't seem to find ssh at the listed area's.
A quick apt-get install ssh should do that trick.

And last but not least, what's the default text editor? (told ya n00b)

and definitly going to browse that link of you maddy. I would like to do that in the end, but that will require some more skill on my part since I have an internal ADSL modem. (no pppoe but pppoa and that needs drivers)

I installed SSH, and as maddy's tutorial say, it should work without further config. But putty gives an error that it can't connect. (and yes i selected SSH connection)

Thanks for the effort already, linux is finaly getting interesting.

---edit----
ssh is working, don't ask me how, it just does

Old 9th February 2004, 18:26   #6
TeuS

Quote:
where was the term "linux n00b" forgotten. Telling me what to do without telling me how to do it (or giving a good tut) is useless.

Anyway apache was installed already. Still can't find it, but it's running, since I get the placeholder page . The apt-get install apache works like a charm. Going good there, it also has some info about where everything is

That should entertain me for a while.
great attitude

Quote:
And last but not least, what's the default text editor? (told ya n00b)
there are several editors like pico, nano,...
I like nano the most

keep on going

Old 9th February 2004, 22:47   #7
FreeStyler

it's nano for debian apparently.

I really got to make a howto on this, if I find the time. I got a good (noobs) view on this apparently.

Old 10th February 2004, 02:35   #8
FreeStyler

hmm, another small Q.
I need a good FTP server for uploading my websites.
I tried ftpd and wu-ftpd but I miss the EZ config I'd like.
Oh and it has to be apgettable.
anyone?

Old 10th February 2004, 06:47   #9
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

I use vsftpd. Very easy to configure and secure.
Old 14th February 2004, 22:14   #10
FreeStyler

I would have prefered a bulletproof style FTP, but that not gonna happen with linux permissions. So I went back to same old ftpd, or is there a really good reason to use another?

About those linuxpermissions, my latest question. I'm trying to phase out the use of the root user as much as possible. Therefore all my web accounts (only one at the time, but for experiments sake) are inside a general directory. I'd like a user that has root-like access to this dir and all subdirs. (full rwx permissions even on files he doesn't own and who's permissions are set to read only for all users) but not anything else (so not going su and stuff)
But the idividual users shouldn't be able to see this dir (.. for them) or the dir of other people.

I think grouping is out of the question because of this. Thus, is there a way to do this?

tnx again

Closed Thread