It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
P5WD2-P smoke arises P5WD2-P smoke arises
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

P5WD2-P smoke arises
Closed Thread

Old 27th August 2006, 15:12   #1
Liquid3D

Default P5WD2-P smoke arises

I've been having numerous problems with any system I seem to install into a Nemesis Elite case by NZXT? This has delayed and afftected numerous reviews for months added to my other DC (daily crap). At least I thought it was the case, until today? I have a Asus P5WD2-P + P930, H20 cooled system which "seemed" to be working fine until I re-located it from my Kandalf case to a NZXT Nemesis Elite I'm testing about 3-months ago. I had a DFI mobo in there which was testing a Mushkin 650XP and Nautilus 500. I tried running a new Leadtek 7950 card on the DFI LANParty board and that DDR1 system began rebooting. Thinking at first it was the Mushkin being overwhelmed I tried a Duro 900 PSU I'm testing as well. This didn't improve things much.

Knowing the card wasn't compatable with the DFI LANParty UT board (yet?) I popped it out and reinstalled an AOpen 7800GTX I'd been using and the system still seemed to have problems? Then I installed a Asus 6600GT and it worked fine. So now I was really getting confused since it could be the Nemesis case, but why now after the DFI Aopen GTX had been running fine? I had of course by now I introduced 3-variables.
1. Duro 900 PSU
2. Leadtek 7950.
3. Asus 6600GT

I pulled the DFI Lanparty and tested it outside the case where it worked, with both the AOpen 7800GTX and Asus 6600GT so now I was thinking it was the case (but maybe the PSU)? To be sure it wasn't the case I then relocated my P5WD2-P into that Case with the AOpen 7800GT and began to have problems with the Duro 900. Once again I thought it was either the Duro 900 or the case making contact to the rear of the board because it was an Mid-ATX / micro-ATX NZXT Nemisis Elite which has a slight rise under the CPU general area and short standoffs for todays boards with their CPU rear brackets.

So I switched out the Duro 900 first to be syre that wasn't it and installed a PCPower&Cooling TurboCool 850SSI and the system worked(?) I removed the board and used different mounting hardware for the waterblobk just to be sure everythng was coolio.

I then re-installed the Duro 900 after testing it because it was fine on the multimeter, along with the P5WD2-P, P-930, X20 block, OASE (Alphacool pump) X20 triple radiator, AOpen 7800GTX, one HDD, one DVD. It ran the system for three months without a hiccup. OK then I try a VGA Booster which I already tested on my Am2 system with no problems (breifly this is a passive Capacitor bank for current conditioning.) Now the system seems to show the same problems the DFI board did when I had tried the Leadtek 7950 on it in that case 3-months earlier? Each time the P5WD2-P has problems the green LED flashes to indicate something is wrong. Once again I begin switching around PSU's etc. Finally I take the system out of the case hook it up and it's ready to go(?) with the Duro 900 and al mentioned above minus the Case and green LED is solid lit A-OK.

I jump the power-sw pins with a jumper she boots then stops? now I replace the Duro 900 thinking maybe it had a short but just ran fine for a while by some odd coincidence. I try the Mushkin 650XPthe P5DW2-P starts up then stops. Each time I started the system I did notice the fan on the videocard took a moment to start.

Ok anyway then after reading the Asus P5WD2-P manual for the tenth time I make sure no jumpers are in the wrong position such as the obvious CLTR CMOS, or less serious but possible effects such as the fact I'm using H20 cooling so not having the CPU Fan header hooked up trips a safety feature. Of course the fact I've ran the board for months and never had a problem without a CPU fan connected would preclude this.

So now while reading the manual I'm thinking one final thing. The Asus board comes with a 2x4 baseboard connector. P4 and P4+, the P4+ was capped bry default. So I disconnect the correct 4-pin baseboard connector as if I just had a 4-pin ATX PSU, since the Mushkin has options for both.

I try re-booting again and the chip pictured below fries, with blue smoke coming from it, just breifly. 1st time this ever happned to me I must say. I pull the jumper off power and shut down the PSU ASAP. So many variables? So many questions? Where the Hell does this all lead?

Here's my questions PLAESE HELP:

1. why would the Ethernet chip fry? The board wasn't connected to the Internet at all? BUT I do think I recall this chip or this feature not wrking a while ago after overclocking this baord? I had to switch to the Intel LAN? In other words is there a specific culprit beyond the board itself that may have cuased this particular chip to have fried? By the way there are three prong plugs where my PC is located in my moms Apratment which is a huge buiolding where Ederly stay with oxegen machines etc. it even has it's own huge Diesal generator so if the power goes out we don't even notice because the Gemnrerator kicks in so fast. My point, this building is wried for Bear.

2. I would say it was the P5WD2-P and leave it at that IF that board had acted up in the Nemesis Elite case, but the DFI seemed to have problems in that case too?

The photo below shows the chip and the arrow points to where the surface began to bubble up turning brown. Smaoke gently wafted from the sides after the third try jumping the board. I should have quit on the first try when she wouldn't power-up but being freaking persistent....blah

Old 27th August 2006, 15:19   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

ASUS RMA?

if DFI works okay outside case, but not inside the case, something is causing a short circuit between mobo/case
Old 27th August 2006, 15:30   #3
Liquid3D

Well their definately getting an RMA, problem is I had a few tests to run requiring the "heat" of the P930 and the Socket-775 platform mounting hardware.

I have a Conroe 6400 and P5W DH but that's not so much a heat challange and may not be compatable with the mounting hardware XSPC sent me, Viscool V2 block is truely universal so that's no prob.

Right now I'm about to test an AOpen 975a-YDG and Yonah ES6600 which is basically a 478 mount but still what heat? Well it's ok with Conroe people will be looking to lower temps anyway, but the rest of the world right now still has those hot running 600 ~ P930 series Intel chippers....

Do you think it's dangerous to run the (any) system outside the case? It seems to me people do it all the time and that's because in the USA grounding is handled by the PSU and third prong on plug? But I'm concerned the Ethernet chip could have damaged other hardware?

Oh by the way, per your original help I have the AM2 3800 Asus 590 board running with the Viscool testing and leadtek 7950 with PCPower&Cooling 1KW Crucial DDR2-1000 (running at 1333) and the 3800 running at 3.0GHz with no Vcore increase 28C off the Nautilus 500 external unit with the Viscool V2 block thrown on the system. It's nice to be working two systems simultaneously even though i didn't listen to you ten years ago when you told me to get a KVM switch I have it now..

Old 27th August 2006, 16:01   #4
Madshrimp

KVM switch is really neato

you can get the Core 2 running hot without much problem, higher CPU clocks + vcore increase and you'll be running close to Pentium D heat build-up, http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...&articID=4 70
Old 27th August 2006, 19:57   #5
Liquid3D

I want to thank everyone whom responded to this thread. I have isolated the problem to the Ethernet chip and will RMA this freaken POS. Actually this board gave me many months of lovin, and just a few moments of frustration and terror.

Old 27th August 2006, 20:41   #6
Liquid3D

Quote:
Originally posted by jmke
KVM switch is really neato

you can get the Core 2 running hot without much problem, higher CPU clocks + vcore increase and you'll be running close to Pentium D heat build-up, http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...&articID=4 70
I forgot to compliment you on that review2 that was really on the mark and help's me with my constant research inot the PSu world.

I just love this AOpen board, but in the BIOS there's no multiplier? Do these Yonah's have a multiplier to access? If not why the heck did I get a ES sample? Anyway it's boots into 2883MHz like butta, no voltage or nothing.

I removed the 667 Jumpers and installed the remote control it's real;ly fun to OC with a little remote, only thing I don;t like is the absence of a temp reading utility? Didn't find one with the 975a-YDG and what the heck does COO standfor?

Old 27th August 2006, 21:08   #7

easypanic Freshly Registered

You can use MBM5 with the sensor: MSI 865 PE Neo2-P

What BIOS is on that mobo?

I've got an i975 with a T2600 ES also .

sjeck this: http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98918
|(@)(@)""""""""""""**|(@)(@)****|(@)|
Old 28th August 2006, 02:31   #8
Liquid3D

I'llcheck the BIOS but your download helped thank you. I already had the program installed on my PC hehe.

One thing I found are a difference in temps when I just tested the program on my AM2 3800 X2, is this program that accurate? Here's a screenie, but note the discrepancy in all three program temps?

Old 29th August 2006, 12:42   #9
Madshrimp

some will read from motherboard sensor (lower values , don't change very quick) or on-die temp probe (higher temps, quick changes)

you can also find the latest Speedfan nifty for AMD system, now also reads both mobo sensor and onboard die temp

Audio-Technica ATH-EW9 Headphones
Old 31st August 2006, 21:03   #10
Liquid3D

Speed-Fan 4.29

Closed Thread