It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
New PC troubles New PC troubles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New PC troubles
Closed Thread

Old 26th January 2005, 22:44   #1
Equalsk

Default New PC troubles

First let me say: "ARRRRRGHH!!!"

Now that's off my chest...

I've been building this PC for a while, buying parts here and there. Today was the day when I thought I'd be finished and that I could use it, but I was wrong.

Basically, the PC starts and checks the memory as usual, which is ok. Gives me the startup options like I expected, detects the drives ok, says it can't find the SATA drives (because I have none) and then it looks as if it resets and says "CMOS settings wrong" and then turns off.

After it has turned off it also appears as if the motherboard is still being powered as the power LED is still lit.

Now I've tried resetting the CMOS with the jumpers and that hasn't let me get any further. The motherboard battery seems ok. Everything is plugged in correctly. I'm truly at a loss as to what to do.

Here's the specs:

AMD Athlon 3200+ "Barton"
Soltek SL-KT600-RL motherboard
1GB Corsair VS DDR400
Leadtek Winfast 128MB GeForceFX 5200 (temporary)
Quantum Fireball ATA 20GB HDD (temporary, out of this PC)

I've emailed Soltek to ask for their advice but they won't reply until tomorrow.

Also, I made a little video that shows the boot up sequence. It's edited from two videos so it's a bit jumpy, and the TV is in the background, but it does show what happens and you can pause it to read the writing if you like.

It can be found here.

I'm pulling my hair out because I just want this to work. I've been waiting for ages!

Anyway, I'll be glad of any advice you can give me.

Thanks very much in advance.

Old 26th January 2005, 22:48   #2

jort Freshly Registered

press F1 when he saids cmos settings wrong and this will bring you into bios.
or
press F2 and he will normaly boot.
Old 26th January 2005, 22:57   #3
Equalsk

I've tried pressing F1 and nothing seems to happen. It shuts off immediately after it gives me the option.

I've tried F2 and it gets to the next stage and then shuts off as well. I've tried doing it with a floppy disc in to try and get DOS so I could update the BIOS but that doesn't work either.

I'll try it again later maybe.

Thanks!

Old 26th January 2005, 23:21   #4

jort Freshly Registered

sure you placed your cooling the right way?
Old 27th January 2005, 00:30   #5
Equalsk

Definately, yes. The temperature monitor on the front of my case shows that the CPU is fine.

I also think that if that was what was happening and the overheating protection was kicking in then it'd either shut down in different places rather than the same one, and also that it would take a little longer for my CPU to overheat.

I just can't figure out what else to try.

Keep the suggestions coming. You might think of something I haven't.

Old 27th January 2005, 01:06   #6
Equalsk

I know the motherboard isn't very old (Got it about 6 months ago), but do you think replacing the battery on it is a good idea? I heard that can cause all sorts of errors if it's flat.

I suppose it can't hurt.

Edit: I managed to get into the BIOS by hitting the F1 key a thousand times but a few seconds after it loaded the PC shut off and now it's resumed it's usual process of restarting straight away.

I've got to leave it alone for a while before it'll boot that far again :/

Edit: Changed the CMOS battery but that didn't help.

If I can get into the BIOS for long enough I'll try loading the default CMOS from there.

Gotta be fast as it shuts off after a few seconds.

Old 25th February 2005, 08:09   #7
Stone

On my ASUS mobo, you hit "Delete" to get into the BIOS... worth a shot maybe...?

Old 25th February 2005, 12:16   #8
Equalsk

Oops, I forgot I'd subscribed to this thread.

I fixed it a while ago. It turns out the heatsink was slightly off (God damnit) and the Anti-Burn Shield was turning off the PC. I don't know why it was reporting as a CMOS error but there you go.

All is well

Closed Thread