It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
linux revolution? linux revolution?
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

linux revolution?
Closed Thread

Old 5th March 2004, 16:02   #31
AngeluS

Can't wait to read your Howto manual RB.
Wanna try Gentoo too, now i just installed Mandrake but man. I don't like to be a noob and that's what i still am with Gnu/Linux.

Old 23rd April 2004, 23:11   #32

Bosw8er Freshly Registered

good read :

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00571/
Old 24th April 2004, 10:30   #33

DUR0N Freshly Registered

score!
eurhm, i mean...funny
Old 24th April 2004, 15:09   #34
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

To sum up the article linux will never conquer the market because Joe Sixpack does not want to do any effort to learn howto work with linux.

That's true. But if you talk to linux/GNU developpers that's not their goal. They aim at 30 - 40% market share: the users who use their pc daily.

To be honest I think most users overrate how hard linux is to install. Take the following example:
My future brother in law bought a new computer and wanted to install an OS. As he wanted to give linux a try too, I gave him Mandrake OS 10 and WinXP.

WinXP didn't dedect his sata drive at install. I had to tell him download and make a floppy disk with his sata controller drivers, and press F6 at install so windows could dedect his drive. After installation, his screen was at a crappy low resolution (gf fx not supported out of the box), he coudn't get on the net (nforce not supported) and he never got USB2.0 to work for some reason. He also had to install a decent virusscanner and be aware for spyware.

After winxp he gave Madrake 10 a try. No drivers asked (kernel 2.6 has native support for most NICs, harddiskcontrollers, ...) and without he asking me one question he was able to get a fully running linux system. Don't tell me Windows installation is noob-proof!
Old 25th April 2004, 23:17   #35
FreeStyler

The main reason linux won't conquer the market is just about every OEM dealer.
People just love their preinstalled, no fuss Dell, compaq-HP, medion... PC.

Linux isn't hard to install. I did it from the first time. THEN is when the fun starts:
- Hey ma look, I installed linux.
+ That sweet honey, now what can you do with it.
- Uh, nothing, but I installed it all by myself.
+ That's very good sweety, now get the damn thing off so I can print my M$ WORD document...

Oh and using a newer kernel then the latest windows release, should indeed fix some driver issues. When SP2 comes out, the playing field will be leveled and that discussion kan be started the other way around. Untill the new linux kernell comes up.... etc. etc. etc.

Linux and windows just can't be compared. Linux has a limited use, both in desktop and server market. They do best for smaller servers, and in the freak area of desktop use.
Windows just has a massive userbase that get's a splitting headache if even 0.1% incompatibility is bothering them.
The fact that linux is free, and windows costs abotu 100$, and most people still use windows does mean it's doing something good (even if it's only marketing)

Old 25th April 2004, 23:38   #36
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

Using OpenOffice is as easy as using MS Office, it just depends which one you learned to use first.

Surfing is easier in Linux with Mozilla (no popups / vriri) than in WinXP with ie (spyware & viri everywhere)

Mailing is equally easy, mozilla mailer is better than Outlook express, but lacks the features of Outtlook. Then again, no risk of virusses.

I'm not a linux / opensource nut. Not everything has to be free, but many people underestimate the user friendlyness of latest linux distro's.

Heck, my girlfriend and her brother use linux, and they're anything but pc enthousiasts. They prefer the UI of Gnome 2.6 above windows and it consumes less resources on their computer.
Old 26th April 2004, 06:48   #37
TeuS

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeStyler
Linux and windows just can't be compared. Linux has a limited use, both in desktop and server market. They do best for smaller servers, and in the freak area of desktop use.
Windows just has a massive userbase that get's a splitting headache if even 0.1% incompatibility is bothering them.
The fact that linux is free, and windows costs abotu 100$, and most people still use windows does mean it's doing something good (even if it's only marketing)
- guess how many people actually PAY for windows
- it's not the best because it's popular
- afaik, the internet is built on *nix servers. this madshrimps.be server runs on Debian, and they'll have a very good reason for that

Old 29th April 2004, 21:01   #38
NipSo

Quote:
I'm already writing a Gentoo 4 dummies howto.
Richbastard do you know of a guide where every stage install is explained apart from eachother...
I truely hate the online manual ... everything is messed up and not noob friendly at all ...
had no problems installing and using slackware 9.1 though ...

Old 3rd May 2004, 20:15   #39
Sarcastro

Default Re: linux revolution?

Quote:
Originally posted by RichBa5tard
[i]For those who haven't tried it, what's keeping you back? For those who did but switched back to windows. why? Have you got a legal Win / Office license?
Well, hearing you talking about Gentoo irl so enthausiastically (no, you go and spell that ;D) I decided to try it. At a lan I leeched Gentoo (I think it was 2 iso's) which is legal, YAY opensource! Being the planner that I am I first decided to read the full guide of howto install gentoo so I wouldn't encounter any nasty surprises. First I discovered I wasn't going to able to install it in the first place because I had the wrong version for my proc. Don't really have an opinion on that, I am just happy that I'm using a certain OS now that kinda autodetects that. Second I kinda got thrown off by the fact the manual had technical words and expressions in it which I did not have to foggiest clue in the world on what they were about. I don't see myself as a total noob when it comes to 'puters nor English but still I had never heard of many expressions which the manual took for granted that the reader would know. Probably never expected me to read it, or read for that matter.

So installing Gentoo has gone to the "not so near projects" folder in my brain. Still very much willing to try though.

Old 3rd May 2004, 20:49   #40
FreeStyler

erm, isn't windows only X86 certified.

The only point of any other-then-X86 linuxes is because linux actually gets used in a server enviroment with possible different CPU types. It's also PC-MAC compatible.

I tried it too, and came to the conclusion that it's great for servers, if you have studied lunux or have a lot of time to mess with it. It's usable in a strickt desktop enviroment (at the office, with a good sysadmin). Just don't try to play any real games on it (solitaire is not a real PC game)

Closed Thread