It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
Gigabyte GA-7N400-L1 Cpu overheating problem Gigabyte GA-7N400-L1 Cpu overheating problem
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gigabyte GA-7N400-L1 Cpu overheating problem
Closed Thread

Old 24th July 2004, 20:36   #1
Makaveli7

Default Gigabyte GA-7N400-L1 Cpu overheating problem

Hi Chaps.
Heres my configuration:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7N400-L1
CPU: AMD Athlon 2500+
Memory: Corsair CMX512-3200C2

I built another computer last week for a friend, but the RAM we bought was faulty so but I had to test every component on my computer to make sure it was the RAM. This including checking the CPU. When I put my system back together I must have done something wrong cuz basically the CPU overheated (to around 85C) before my system shut off automatically.
I then sorted the wiring problem out and switched it back on, unfortuantely ever since then it has been operating at 65C normally, and 78C on load. However having had the case side off I decided to do a rather risky thing and touch the heatsink when the computer is switched on. The heatsink temperature is probably 30-40C max as it is warm to the touch, but no where near the heat sensor reading.
I've taken the heatsink off to check there is no dust, too much thermal paste, or too little thermal paste, and there are no signs of problems. I've checked the processor has no bent or missing pins, as well as having it slotted in correctly. The heatsink and fan is now running at 3800rpm, instead of before when I had it at 2500rpm. I've checked the BIOS and it is exactly the same settings as before (the cpu I tested was the same as the one I had).
I've not been in this position before so I am unsure as to what it could be. Hope you can help

Cheers

Alex

Old 25th July 2004, 07:52   #2

Sidney Freshly Registered

If the heatsink is seated properly, I'd suspect the thermister is messed up. It would be nice if you have an external temp probe to find out the approximate temp nearest to the core.

The temp you mentioned; is it from BIOS" Or, other programs?

Again, if the heatsink is NOT seated properly, it is not absorbing the heat from the core leading to warm to the touch feel while the core is much hotter.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Closed Thread