It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
Geforce 4 lock up problems Geforce 4 lock up problems
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Geforce 4 lock up problems
Closed Thread

Old 29th August 2002, 00:38   #1
Maffia

Default Geforce 4 lock up problems

I hope you guys can help me. I just won a Creative Geforce4 ti 4600.
Since I have installed it, I have been having lock ups when my system has been running.

symptoms: after about an hour, small yellow pixels start to show up all over my screen, which then locks after another 30 secs.
During a reboot, the first screen (with bios info) gives off all kinds of colors not normal with a normal boot, ie varying colors for every character, red color,...

I'm not sure if it is down to the cooling or not (currently it is the standard cooler from Creative).

I have read some comments from Calantak about heat problems, but as I know next to nothing about HW these days, I'm at the end of my tether

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Old 29th August 2002, 01:22   #2
Da`Hitch

first of all, you are one lucky bastard
but that luck will get you nowhere when it appears that your grand prize isn't working properly.
I've heard about a few problems with the TI 4600 as well, as a matter of fact, I've heard several instances about a Ti4600 that just went dead, brand new cards, that just went bust without any fidling to it (=OC'ing, voltmodding, placing other heatsinks, etc.)

All I can advise you right now, is to contact G, to find out wether or not you can get your warranty for this card, and perhaps claim a new one at the store where G got it.

in the meantime, you could considder replacing your Ti4600 with your old graphics card, assuming you still have it, so that you can still use your PC properly.

I hope your problem gets solved one way or another, because it would be a real shame to see your grand prize go to waste like that. (maybe you shouldn't have been kissing it and stuff like that j/k)

Old 29th August 2002, 01:31   #3
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

Sounds like an overheating problem, otherwise it would give corrupted display immediatly instead of after 30min of use.

If you want to play really safe, contact G and ask about garanty.

But if you feel comfortable playing with expensive hardware: remove the heatsink (use a "pincet" to squeeze the pins at the back of the card and push them through the hole.) and check whether there is (sufficient) thermal paste on the GPU. Sometimes there is no thermal paste between it due to a production error, which causes to get the GPU extremely hot.

You could also check whether the fan is working or not: a friend of me had a vidcard with simular problems as you, and that was because his fan didn't work.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 29th August 2002, 09:57   #4
ChAoS Overlord

It's the exact same problem I had with my Ti4200. Check this out! Gainward seems to suck!!!

Old 29th August 2002, 10:09   #5
[M] Reviewer/HWBot *****

RichBa5tard Freshly Registered

He has a creative.
Old 29th August 2002, 11:25   #6
ChAoS Overlord

Yes I know, but the problem is identical, isn't it?

Old 29th August 2002, 12:44   #7

The Senile Doctor Freshly Registered

just my two cents...
the ti4600 cards are VERY bad, no matter who makes them, they have quite a lot of thermal problems.
I have had two ti4600's from creative, and not only did the gpu cooler fall off just like that on one occasion, the card died too fast from molestation in my humble opinion.

all kinds of artifacts and bam the card was dead.

then I got a replacement, I didn't use it, I was fed up with ti4600's, and that one was sold to winfield, it worked two days, and then it started giving exactly the same artifacts as you have. tha card died soon after, and is being replaced a second time!

My first leadtek ti4600 died on me too, ram ****ed up.
second one overheated frequently but that problem was solved when I used different thermal paste.

I suggest you bring the card back in, and claim a new one.

It'll die on you eventually...
Old 29th August 2002, 15:18   #8
ChAoS Overlord

With all due respect to nvidia, from what I've noticed the GF4 Ti range, and more notably the Ti4200 and Ti4600, the Ti4400 seem to be working better, but there hasn't been one card like the Ti4x00 series from nvidia of which I've read as many complaints.

Old 29th August 2002, 17:12   #9
Maffia

Problem solved, I can send the card back to Creative.
I got the person onthe line who sponsored the card, and he told me to send it back to him.

Thanks for all your help.

Old 29th August 2002, 17:33   #10
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

crossing fingers for PNY Ti4600 I bought in USA..