It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
Data Recovery Company Recommendations Data Recovery Company Recommendations
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Data Recovery Company Recommendations
Closed Thread

Old 11th January 2007, 12:31   #1
logan_657

Default Data Recovery Company Recommendations

Can anyone recommend a data Recovery Company? Like anyone who's had a hard drive crash, I don't want to trust the recovery of my image files to an inexperienced outfit. I have/had a LaCie d2 Big Disk 500GB with about 400GB of files on it. Evidently, the problem is most likely electronic, as there is a small hole burned on the control card. Some of the files are backed up, but not all, and they are all important to me.
It's my understanding that the 2 Maxtor drives inside are RAID O configured, which makes recovering the files more complicated. If it's risky to fix, then I want to use a reliable, established company.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
If you are pretty sure it is the control board, you can do what the recovery company would probably do anyway...that is to replace the electronics.

Old 11th January 2007, 12:43   #2
SuAside

do realise that this will be rather costly. for 500Gb in Raid 0, i think we're talking of at least 500 euros.

also, where are you from? it's hard to recommend a company if we don't know in which part of the world you live.

edit: bad typo! i meant 5000...

Last edited by SuAside : 11th January 2007 at 13:07.

Old 11th January 2007, 12:56   #3
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

€500 is very positive thinking, cost will most likely be much higher, just testing the drive to see IF recovery is possible will cost you already. I would suggest to try some data recovery yourself first, are the drives inside SATA/PATA? try "getdataback" and install the drives in your PC to see if there's any data to be recovered that way.
Old 11th January 2007, 13:06   #4
SuAside

euhm, i meant 5000 euros actually :s

when i worked at NC Computing, i remember sending an external maxtor HDD of 250Gb to a recovery firm, ended up costing between 2500 & 3000 euros

Old 11th January 2007, 13:08   #5
SuAside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
I would suggest to try some data recovery yourself first, are the drives inside SATA/PATA? try "getdataback" and install the drives in your PC to see if there's any data to be recovered that way.
if he says there's an electrical burn on the control card (of one of the HDDs), that wont work. (-> to the recovery firm)

if it's a burn on the raidcontroller, i presume you can get them to work in a normal pc that supports raid. (-> any normal informatics dealer can do that for you)

Last edited by SuAside : 11th January 2007 at 13:12.

Old 11th January 2007, 13:27   #6
kevin_476

Default Re:Data Recovery Company Recommendations

For a proprietary drive like the Big Disk, the easiest and probably the most cost effective thing to do is to buy another drive. Assuming that the circuit board dying hasn’t corrupted the data, you should be able to swap the drives out of the new unit and put your older drives in. If all is well, you will see your data. But if still there is any problem recovering your data then I will suggest you to go to data recovery labs. They will recover your data with a snatch of fingers. Few days ago my friend working in MNC came with a terror on his face. From him I came to know about how he has lost his data, with the system crash. He was supposed give very important information in his company. My friends and me tried our best to recover but failed. Then we decided to go to data recovery labs. The first lab, which we came across, didn’t work out well. Finally we reach *madshrimps spam-protection*. Guess what it was just unexpected; he got all his data he had lost. Nice lab I must say. As you go to the lab you must tell them what exactly has happen i.e. how you have lost your data and what you did to recover it but failed etc. etc.
All the best.

Last edited by jmke : 11th January 2007 at 15:16.

Old 11th January 2007, 13:30   #7
Madshrimp

was referring to the controller card, it it is the HDD, he might be able to reduce costs of recovery by buying an identical HDD and swapping the electronics bit of the HDD
Old 11th January 2007, 14:55   #8
SuAside

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmke View Post
was referring to the controller card, it it is the HDD, he might be able to reduce costs of recovery by buying an identical HDD and swapping the electronics bit of the HDD
if he had the skills to do that, he'd have done it already

(this is no insult btw. there is no shame in admiting a thing like that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_476 View Post
For a proprietary drive like the Big Disk, the easiest and probably the most cost effective thing to do is to buy another drive. Assuming that the circuit board dying hasn’t corrupted the data, you should be able to swap the drives out of the new unit and put your older drives in. If all is well, you will see your data. But if still there is any problem recovering your data then I will suggest you to go to data recovery labs. They will recover your data with a snatch of fingers. Few days ago my friend working in MNC came with a terror on his face. From him I came to know about how he has lost his data, with the system crash. He was supposed give very important information in his company. My friends and me tried our best to recover but failed. Then we decided to go to data recovery labs. The first lab, which we came across, didn’t work out well. Finally we reach *madshrimps spam-protection*. Guess what it was just unexpected; he got all his data he had lost. Nice lab I must say. As you go to the lab you must tell them what exactly has happen i.e. how you have lost your data and what you did to recover it but failed etc. etc.
All the best.
almost any data can be recovered, the real question is price. some of these data recovery firms will put your hdd platters under an electron microscope and read out the data per bit if you pay them enough

Last edited by jmke : 11th January 2007 at 15:16.

Old 11th January 2007, 15:15   #9
Madshrimp

I hope you had fun creating 2 accounts to answer one another's question. this thread is now closed, your accounts banned, don't let this turn into an IP ban.

two accounts with same IP, similar username, similar mail username@yahoo.com. registered on the same day. this thread is closed. Wasting our time with this pointless and shameless plug.