It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware/Software Problems, Bugs
AMD's warranty question AMD's warranty question
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AMD's warranty question
Closed Thread

Old 5th April 2006, 13:32   #1
stillstupid

Default AMD's warranty question

Does AMD allows us to use any thermal grease during warranty period of their CPU's?(BOX pack)
If yes,what kind of them?
I'm running (still)non-overclocked sempron 2800+ s.754 without any th.grease,just like my vendor recommended,but even he wasn't sure about it(my luck,i guess,hehe...).
...and i'm not having any problems with CPU temp.(allways under 40C deg.),but i'll need to put some th.grease for OC,that's for sure,no mater what AMD says about it. Any exp. with Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Silver Ceramique?Thanks!

Old 5th April 2006, 13:55   #2

Sidney Freshly Registered

As long as you are using the stock hsf.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 5th April 2006, 14:02   #3
stillstupid

WITH thermal grease?
Or:how they know what hsf was used in case of malfunction (like fryed CPU),regardless th.grease?

Old 5th April 2006, 14:19   #4

Sidney Freshly Registered

Easy questions to ask and to find out if users are using stock HSF.
1) Tell me the model number of the fan.
2) Tell me the size or markings on the fan.

This applies to Intel retail processor warranty. Aboth AMD and Intel deal with hundred if not not thousands of customer like you. They know if you try to B/S or not.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 5th April 2006, 14:27   #5
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

changing thermal grease wont give you problems I think;
Old 7th April 2006, 08:06   #6
stillstupid

If i understand you well Lazy,i will not having any trouble in case of CPU's malfunction,because i already have recommended hsf(BOX pack). If i put some other fan (like Zalman) and th. grease,CPU dies,i just clean the CPU's surface after removing Zalman(or even not cleaning it at all),re-attach or bring the original hsf with me at the store,and problem is solved,right?
All numbers,size or markings that you mentioned,will be in perfect order(i think).
p.s. why Zalman (or others manufacturers) don't put any warning about that mounting their product (hsf) on AMD's & Intel CPU's will void the warranty?
... i'm not dealin' that kind of the problem,not yet.After all AMD Sempron 2800+ is not too expensive,not even for us here in Croatia,to "sell my soul to the devil for couple of euros" or ,like you said"B/S" anybody/anyone.
I was just curious, Lazy.
All i want to say is that seems to me it's not right to forbid usage PROVEN and BETTER products (in this case-hsf from Zalman,etc.) than their own,especially th.greases,regardless overclocking (OC is out of discussion).Imagine that,for example,Ford motor co. says:"Only Shell motor oil is allowed for our engines".If you use Castrol,Valvoline,Total...motor oil(s) and,let's say,engine explodes from totally other reasons-YOU USED CASTROL AND WE DON'T CARE!:grin: Stupid.Still.
All this story with AMD's exist because of no standardized parameters about the others manufacturers product.They know that Zalman is better,that's out of question.Many thermal greases products too...
It's right to recommend some products,but voiding warranty in case of using almost any (or all) alternative product is-insanity.
Could be explained only trough financial benefit of AMD-(read:monopolistic).
AND WHO'S B/S WHO NOW?
Ah,yes, thanks for your replies,people!

Old 7th April 2006, 11:32   #7
wutske

I remember reading that you will lose waranty when you don't use the boxed cooler and the thermal pad that has been aproved by AMD.
Tough I doubt they will notice if you didn't

Closed Thread