It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice > FAQ / INFO / HOW-TO
INFO: Windows XP Services ( what to enable/disable) INFO: Windows XP Services ( what to enable/disable)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

INFO: Windows XP Services ( what to enable/disable)
Closed Thread

Old 6th July 2002, 19:51   #1

The Senile Doctor Freshly Registered
Default windows services tweaks (in other words : what can you disable ;) )

enjoy windows xp minus all the crap

lettin' you in on a secret, I got quite some increases in 3dmarks scores in the markin' days (14113) using these...
Old 7th July 2002, 01:44   #2
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default In case remote site goes down

Note - If you are not confident about editing the settings shown below then please do not even try. Please post constructive critisism only. 1 post wonders will be deleted.

Any further queries to alan@deviantpc.com

The BIG XP Services Explanation

How many people know that disabling services that you don't need can significantly enhance the speed of Windows?

Let's take a look through them shall we?

Alerter

Microsoft Description - Notifies selected users and computers of administrative alerts. If the service is stopped, programs that use administrative alerts will not receive them. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Good for big brother corporate networks. Home PCs do not need to send/receive administrative alerts.

Doesent Exactly do much for hindering performance, so leave it on Manual.

Recommended for home PC - Manual

--------------------

Application Layer Gateway Service

Microsoft Description - Provides support for 3rd party protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing and the Internet Connection Firewall

Human Description - Good if the system is a gateway/client on a NAT LAN, also (attempts to) protect nasty script kiddies from turning you and your friends' computers into their pawns in the quest for world domination.

XP's Firewall is about as useful as a chocolate Teapot. Disable this service unless you are on a home LAN and use Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing.

Recommended for home PC - Disabled

--------------------

Application Management

Microsoft Description - Provides software installation services such as Assign, Publish, and Remove.

Human Description - Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Best leaving this on the default setting of Manual. Rarely used but when you need it, it will be activated.

--------------------

Automatic Updates

Microsoft Description - Enables the download and installation of critical Windows updates. If the service is disabled, the operating system can be manually updated at the Windows Update Web site.

Human Description - Allows Windows XP free reign to contact the Microsoft servers and download a whole host of "critical" updates.

Most likely Windows XP will attempt this every time you are furiously playing Counter-Strike or Q3, then suddenly you wonder why you can't hit a barn-door from 5 paces as your ping rockets to 500ms+. No thanks Bill, think I can connect to WindowsUpdate by myself...

--------------------

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Microsoft Description - Uses idle network bandwidth to transfer data.

Human Description - A sneaky way of doing Automatic Updates - Windows XP will judge whether you are using your bandwidth or just sat there motionless looking at your screen. If not it will happily download away.

If you're sat there idling and your modem is going bonkers downloading a host of information, the scaremongery of today will trigger a switch in your head that convinces yourself that you are being used for above said script kiddies' plans to turn your system into a mindless zealot for world conquest. No thanks, and besides, automatic services will quash those extra 2fps in quake 3.

--------------------

ClipBook

Microsoft Description - Enables ClipBook Viewer to store information and share it with remote computers. If the service is stopped, ClipBook Viewer will not be able to share information with remote computers. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Another "exactly what it says on the tin"

Why do you want to share your random cut'n'pastes with your fellow LAN chums? Or someone who is half way around the world? If you feel this is an important contribution to your life leave it on Manual. Otherwise kill that resource eating service!

--------------------

COM+ Event System

Microsoft Description - Supports System Event Notification Service (SENS), which provides automatic distribution of events to subscribing Component Object Model (COM) components. If the service is stopped, SENS will close and will not be able to provide logon and logoff notifications. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Kind of like a communication method between different modules in Windows.

Best leaving this to its default value of "Manual" as it is needed.

--------------------

COM+ System Application

Microsoft Description - Manages the configuration and tracking of Component Object Model (COM)+-based components. If the service is stopped, most COM+-based components will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - If COM+ Event System is the car then this service is the driver

Best leaving this to its default value of "Manual" as it is needed.

--------------------

Computer Browser

Microsoft Description - Maintains an updated list of computers on the network and supplies this list to computers designated as browsers. If this service is stopped, this list will not be updated or maintained. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Like it says, needed to keep tracks of computers on your network.

If you're on a LAN, leave it to manual, if you're a standalone system then disable it.

--------------------

Cryptographic Services

Microsoft Description - Provides three management services: Catalog Database Service, which confirms the signatures of Windows files; Protected Root Service, which adds and removes Trusted Root Certification Authority certificates from this computer; and Key Service, which helps enroll this computer for certificates. If this service is stopped, these management services will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Among other things, this service authenticates WHQL drivers (i.e. for graphics cards)

I would personally set this to manual. If it's then needed, it starts.

--------------------

DHCP Client

Microsoft Description - Manages network configuration by registering and updating IP addresses and DNS names.

Human Description - Under Windows managed networks DCHP is useful in assigning IP/DNS addresses.

I would personally set this to manual. If it's then needed, it starts.

--------------------

Distributed Link Tracking Client

Microsoft Description - Maintains links between NTFS files within a computer or across computers in a network domain.

Human Description - Good for (e.g.) databases that rely on networked files for updating.

Do you share files that lots of people work on? Do you even use NTFS as a home user?

--------------------

Distributed Transaction Coordinator

Microsoft Description - Coordinates transactions that span multiple resource managers, such as databases, message queues, and file systems. If this service is stopped, these transactions will not occur. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Related to Distributed Link Tracking Client

The service sounds like a job title for a pointless middle manager somewhere. For home users it's the same story for our Distributed Transaction Coordinator; going nowhere fast.

--------------------

DNS Client

Microsoft Description - Resolves and caches Domain Name System (DNS) names for this computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will not be able to resolve DNS names and locate Active Directory domain controllers. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description -

Best leave this one automatic *cough*

Recommended for home PC - Automatic

EDIT ** >Actually it can be turned off. It just provides a caching
>DNS server locally to your PC. It can cause problems if you are using
>Dynamic, Round Robin, or any type of load balanced DNS upstream. I
>recommend you turn it off. Your PC will then always go upstream to do
>DNS rather than look in its own cache.***

Cheers to Khyron for dropping me this email.

Error Reporting Service

Microsoft Description - Allows error reporting for services and applictions running in non-standard environments.

Human Description - When something crashes (quite frequently) and Windows pops up and advises you to tell Microsoft all about it, that is the fruit of this service's loins

One of my pet hates, If something crashes I will scream at the monitor and stamp my feet as I please; I don't need to tell Microsoft that I'm doing it.

--------------------

Event Log

Microsoft Description - Enables event log messages issued by Windows-based programs and components to be viewed in Event Viewer. This service cannot be stopped.

Human Description - Exactly what it says on the tin

Can't stop it, fair enough, but we can disable it muhahahahaha... unless of course you actually want to read that Internet Explorer caused a fatal exception in blah blah blah...

--------------------

Fast User Switching Compatibility

Microsoft Description - Provides management for applications that require assistance in a multiple user environment.

Human Description - For home users this functions as "switch user" when the logoff option is used.

If you want it you can have it. I set it to manual.

--------------------

Help and Support

Microsoft Description - Enables Help and Support Center to run on this computer. If this service is stopped, Help and Support Center will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Description is self-explanitory

I never use this as I suspect 90% of the people reading this don't either.

--------------------

Human Interface Device Access

Microsoft Description - Enables generic input access to Human Interface Devices (HID), which activates and maintains the use of predefined hot buttons on keyboards, remote controls, and other multimedia devices. If this service is stopped, hot buttons controlled by this service will no longer function. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - If you have one of those fancy keyboards or other peripherals mentioned above then this allows you to use them in Windows.

I dream of fancy keyboards and remote controls, but at least I can disable this service (Obviously don't if you are fancy)

--------------------

IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service

Microsoft Description - Manages CD recording using Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface (IMAPI). If this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to record CDs. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Controls the in-built CD-burning software in XP

If you don't use the in-built software then disable the service. Incidentally disabling this makes NERO Burning ROM open quicker.

--------------------

Indexing Service

Microsoft Description - Indexes contents and properties of files on local and remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible querying language.

Human Description - Works like an advanced search feature. This can search through files and index keywords for rapid searching.

Thanks, but no thanks. If I want to search I will use the "dog feature".

--------------------

Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Microsoft Description - Provides network address translation, addressing, name resolution and/or intrusion prevention services for a home or small office network.

Human Description - Related to Application Layer Gateway Service

Set this to the same as Application Layer Gateway Service

--------------------

IPSEC Services

Microsoft Description - Manages IP security policy and starts the ISAKMP/Oakley (IKE) and the IP security driver.

Human Description - Authenticates hosts before transfer of data, Encryption of IP traffic, Prevention of reply attacks

After testing I would set this to Manual.

--------------------

Logical Disk Manager

Microsoft Description - Detects and monitors new hard disk drives and sends disk volume information to Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service for configuration. If this service is stopped, dynamic disk status and configuration information may become out of date. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Updates records to do with hard disk volumes.

Leaving something to download overnight only to return and find you didn't have enough space? I'm sure you will slap your head and think to yourself, "Why did I disable the Logical Disk Manager?".

--------------------

Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service

Microsoft Description - Configures hard disk drives and volumes. The service only runs for configuration processes and then stops.

Human Description - Related to Logical Disk Manager

As it is infrequently used, set to manual.

--------------------

Messenger

Microsoft Description - Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers. This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Allows network administrators the ability to pop a little prompt on your screen with information.

Although hilarious for the first 25 seconds in forcing your non-computer literate friends to think their machine has been hacked into this service is pretty much pointless.

Incidentally the command to pop-up a prompt on someones screen is "net send [computername] I know where you live" (or some other intimidating message). Enjoy your 25 seconds of fun...

--------------------

MS Software Shadow Copy Provider

Microsoft Description - Manages software-based volume shadow copies taken by the Volume Shadow Copy service. If this service is stopped, software-based volume shadow copies cannot be managed. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Like the man said, it allows shadow copying.

Set to disabled unless you want your shadow copy service to control your life.

--------------------

Net Logon

Microsoft Description - Supports pass-through authentication of account logon events for computers in a domain.

Human Description - Domain Authentication[/b]

If you're a home user you probably won't have a domain. Disable this service and free up that memory.

--------------------

NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing

Microsoft Description - Enables an authorized user to access this computer remotely by using NetMeeting over a corporate intranet. If this service is stopped, remote desktop sharing will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description -

Why use the bloated netmeeting when VNC does it about 10 times faster and is free?

--------------------

Network Connections

Microsoft Description - Manages objects in the Network and Dial-Up Connections folder, in which you can view both local area network and remote connections.

Human Description - Controls your internet connection details basically.

If you want to use the internet it may be best to leave this setting to its default value of manual.

Network DDE

Microsoft Description - Provides network transport and security for Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) for programs running on the same computer or on different computers. If this service is stopped, DDE transport and security will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Makes use of programs that have the ability to use DDE.

More than likely you will never make use of this service. DDE functions are usually restricted to business applications.

--------------------

Network DDE DSDM

Microsoft Description - Manages Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) network shares. If this service is stopped, DDE network shares will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Related to Network DDE

More than likely you will never make use of this service. DDE functions are usually restricted to business applications.

--------------------

Network Location Awareness (NLA)

Microsoft Description - Collects and stores network configuration and location information, and notifies applications when this information changes.

Human Description -

Perhaps useful (although not critical) if you are on a network as Windows will attempt to update the network lists with events such as logon/logoff. If you are not on a network then disable this service.

--------------------

Network Location Awareness (NLA)

Microsoft Description - Provides security to remote procedure call (RPC) programs that use transports other than named pipes.

Human Description - Installation of some hardware requires usage of RPC.

Best leaving this setting to the default value of manual.

--------------------

NVIDIA Driver Helper Service

Microsoft Description -

Human Description - Provides help and support for NVIDIA graphics cards.

This is an optional service installed when NVIDIA detonator drivers are installed. Disabling this service seems to significantly reduce the time Windows XP takes to shut down.

--------------------

Performance Logs and Alerts

Microsoft Description - Collects performance data from local or remote computers based on preconfigured schedule

Human Description -

Hardly useful for a home PC now is it? Unless they start assigning the equivalent of 3DMarks I doubt anyone is really interested.

--------------------

Plug and Play

Microsoft Description - Enables a computer to recognize and adapt to hardware changes with little or no user input. Stopping or disabling this service will result in system instability.

Human Description -

Commonly referred to as Plug'n'Pray this service is perhaps one feature of Windows XP worth having.

--------------------

Portable Media Serial Number

Microsoft Description - Retrieves the serial number of any portable music player connected to your computer

Human Description -

Quite possibly the most pointless and utterly useless service known to human kind. Why memory is allocated to the retrieval of a needless serial number from your MP3 player is beyond me and I'm sure it's a joke.

--------------------

Print Spooler

Microsoft Description - Loads files to memory for later printing.

Human Description -

With the advent of greater than 500MHz machines I doubt there will be much speed increase seen from loading files into memory for printing.
However after disabling this my printer would not work so thumbs up to MS for the vague description. Didn't say it would stop you printing now did it...?

--------------------

Protected Storage

Microsoft Description - Provides protected storage for sensitive data, such as private keys, to prevent access by unauthorized services, processes, or users.

Human Description - Stop those 1337 h4X0)2 skr1p7 |<1dd135 knocking around with your files.

Trouble is, if they are already past your firewall you've had it anyway. Leave on Manual just in case.

--------------------

QoS RSVP

Microsoft Description - Provides network signaling and local traffic control setup functionality for QoS-aware programs and control applets.

Human Description - Quality Of Service - quite useful for services that use it

Used for network balancing and other nifty things to make "your internet experience as wonderful as possible". Quite good then that this service eats 25% of your bandwidth doing it and hardly anything actually makes use of it.

--------------------

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager

Microsoft Description - Creates a connection to a remote network whenever a program references a remote DNS or NetBIOS name or address.

Human Description - Makes use of embedded links in programs such as Office, also is used in autodial functions

--------------------

Remote Access Connection Manager

Microsoft Description - Creates a network connection.

Human Description - Involved in dial-up. (Digital connections aswell)

Leave as Manual. It usually starts anyway.

--------------------

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager

Microsoft Description - Manages and controls Remote Assistance. If this service is stopped, Remote Assistance will be unavailable. Before stopping this service, see the Dependencies tab of the Properties dialog box.

Human Description - Allows incoming Remote Desktop connections.

If you don't use this feature of Windows XP (Remote Desktop) then disable this service.

Recommended for home PC - Disable

--------------------

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Microsoft Description - Provides the endpoint mapper and other miscellaneous RPC services.

Human Description - Needed for some installations

nice vague Microsoft description. Leave as manual.

--------------------

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator

Microsoft Description - Manages the RPC name service database.

Human Description - Related to Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

nice vague Microsoft description. Leave as manual.

--------------------

Remote Registry

Microsoft Description - Enables remote users to modify registry settings on this computer. If this service is stopped, the registry can be modified only by users on this computer. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Allow people to modify local registry settings via remote desktop or similar.

Possibly one of the biggest security holes that I am suprised nobody has yet exploited. Allowing your registry to be edited remotely? Come on....

--------------------

Removable Storage

Microsoft Description -

Human Description - Zip Drives, USB pens etc...

May aswell leave to manual.

--------------------

Routing and Remote Access

Microsoft Description - Offers routing services to businesses in local area and wide area network environments.

Human Description - used on business networks

Pointless for home users.

--------------------

Secondary Logon

Microsoft Description - Enables starting processes under alternate credentials. If this service is stopped, this type of logon access will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - allow multiple users on one machine.

Most people I think actually make use of this feature.

Old 7th July 2002, 01:45   #3
Madshrimp

Security Accounts Manager

Microsoft Description - Stores security information for local user accounts.

Human Description - Related to Secondary Logon

Leave on automatic.

--------------------

Server

Microsoft Description - Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Supports file sharing and other basic LAN functions.

Used for sharing printers and files across Local Area Networks. If you're not on a network you don't need this.

--------------------

Smart Card

Microsoft Description - Manages access to smart cards read by this computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to read smart cards. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Allows reading of smart card media

If you don't use smart media, disable this service.

--------------------

Smart Card Helper

Microsoft Description - Enables support for legacy non-plug and play smart-card readers used by this computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will not support legacy reader. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Related to Smart Card

If you don't use smart media, disable this service.

--------------------

SSDP Discovery Service

Microsoft Description - Enables discovery of UPnP devices on your home network.

Human Description - UPnP = Universal Plug'n'Play

Caters for such things as network printers etc... If you don't have a LAN then disable this service.

--------------------

System Event Notification

Microsoft Description - Tracks system events such as Windows logon, network, and power events. Notifies COM+ Event System subscribers of these events.

Human Description - (Example) Can notify programs such as Outlook when an internet connection is established so that it can send its mail.

This service manages a lot of processes. Best to leave as default on automatic.

--------------------

System Restore Service

Microsoft Description - Performs system restore functions. To stop service, turn off System Restore from the System Restore tab in My Computer->Properties

Human Description - Allows "rollback" to previous configurations in order to solve hardware/software problems.

Bit of a sticky one this. I personally disable this sevice as it uses a lot of resources. It all depends on the individual user of course.

--------------------

Task Scheduler

Microsoft Description - Enables a user to configure and schedule automated tasks on this computer. If this service is stopped, these tasks will not be run at their scheduled times. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description -

Depends again on the individual. Task Scheduler uses a fair amount of resources and as such I normally disable this service. Any program I wish to run, such as an Anti-Virus scan I eun when I want, not at 4.37am on a Friday morning.

--------------------

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

Microsoft Description - Enables support for NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) service and NetBIOS name resolution.

Human Description - Helper for Internet traffic.

Unless your fascinated by the intrinsic features of TCP/IP then use this feature. Or rather, go to a site that can give you more help.

--------------------

Telephony

Microsoft Description - Provides Telephony API (TAPI) support for programs that control telephony devices and IP based voice connections on the local computer and, through the LAN, on servers that are also running the service.

Human Description -

Best leaving this as manual. Not too sure if this covers modems etc.. aswell but it starts when a connection is made to the internet.

--------------------

Telnet

Microsoft Description - Enables a remote user to log on to this computer and run programs, and supports various TCP/IP Telnet clients, including UNIX-based and Windows-based computers. If this service is stopped, remote user access to programs might be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description -

Cough*Big Security Hole*Cough - this is well worth disabling to bounce those 13 year old hackers.

--------------------

Terminal Services

Microsoft Description - Allows multiple users to be connected interactively to a machine as well as the display of desktops and applications to remote computers. The underpinning of Remote Desktop (including RD for Administrators), Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance, and Terminal Server.

Human Description - Remote Desktop features.

If you disabled Remote Desktop earlier then do the same with this.

--------------------

Themes

Microsoft Description - Provides user experience theme management.

Human Description - By default use either classic, Blue, Silver, or (nasty) Green themes in Windows XP

Most people use the themes so leave this automatic.

--------------------

Uninterruptible Power Supply

Microsoft Description - Manages an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) connected to the computer.

Human Description -

Most home users (unless you live in California) do not have UPS backups.

--------------------

Universal Plug and Play Device Host

Microsoft Description - Provides support to host Universal Plug and Play devices.

Human Description -

Best leaving this to its default setting of manual.

--------------------

Upload Manager

Microsoft Description - Manages synchronous and asynchronous file transfers between clients and servers on the network. If this service is stopped, synchronous and asynchronous file transfers between clients and servers on the network will not occur. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - By networks this also refers to the internet.

Unless you want to have problems sending and receiving traffic to and from the internet it may be best to leave this on automatic.

--------------------

Volume Shadow Copy

Microsoft Description - Manages and implements Volume Shadow Copies used for backup and other purposes. If this service is stopped, shadow copies will be unavailable for backup and the backup may fail. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Related to MS Software Shadow Copy Provider

Set the same as MS Software Shadow Copy Provider

--------------------

WebClient

Microsoft Description - Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not be available. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Fundemental to Windows function

Fundamental aspect of Windows. Leave automatic.

Windows Audio

Microsoft Description - Manages audio devices for Windows-based programs. If this service is stopped, audio devices and effects will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description - Fundemental to Windows function

Fundamental aspect of Windows. Leave automatic. (Unless you don't have sound of course)

--------------------

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Microsoft Description - Provides image acquisition services for scanners and cameras.

Human Description - In-built scanner and camera features.

If you don't have a scanner/camera then disable this service. Also if you use a 3rd party image aquisition program then disable this in any case.

--------------------

Windows Management Instrumentation

Microsoft Description - Provides a common interface and object model to access management information about operating system, devices, applications and services. If this service is stopped, most Windows-based software will not function properly. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description -

Obviously leave this to automatic.

--------------------

Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions

Microsoft Description - Provides systems management information to and from drivers.

Human Description - Provides information to Windows Management Instrumentation

Leave as manual as this is needed for Windows Management Instrumentation.

--------------------

Windows Time

Microsoft Description - Maintains date and time synchronization on all clients and servers in the network. If this service is stopped, date and time synchronization will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description -

Unless you are in dire need to have exactly the same time as the administrator on your network this service can be safely disabled.

--------------------

Windows Zero Configuration

Microsoft Description - Provides automatic configuration for the 802.11 adapters

Human Description - Wireless networking auto-configuration

Why this is defaulted to automatic is beyond me. Wireless technology is still relatively new so auto-configuration functions resident in memory is pointless.

--------------------

WMI Performance Adapter

Microsoft Description - Provides performance library information from WMI HiPerf providers.

Human Description - Provides information about your system to system components that require it.

Leave as manual.

--------------------

Workstation

Microsoft Description - Creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers. If this service is stopped, these connections will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Human Description -

Leave as automatic. Needed by Windows to provide functionality on the internet.

Old 7th July 2002, 08:01   #4
[M] Reviewer

biCker Freshly Registered

, now I just need my PIV system running again
Old 8th May 2003, 10:51   #5

Bosw8er Freshly Registered

ArsTechnica XP tweak guide

http://arstechnica.com/tweak/win2k/xp/sgp-tweaks-1.html
Old 10th May 2003, 22:57   #6

TerAngreal Freshly Registered

another services tweak overview

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
Old 11th May 2003, 01:49   #7
Madshrimp

blackviper is
Old 9th September 2003, 14:59   #8

Bosw8er Freshly Registered

http://www.ntfs.org/comments.php?catid=1&id=7690
XP-tweaks in downloadable help file (.msi)

http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks1.htm
More tweaks

Still thinks XP sucks, i have a dualboot XP/W2K ... W2K is rockstable (although it's a year old and it underwent all kind of drivers and software installs/uninstalls), XP gives all kind of undeterminable blue screens (although it's a fresh install with all the lastest drivers)