It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice > FAQ / INFO / HOW-TO
INFO: Abit KG7 Optimal BIOS settings INFO: Abit KG7 Optimal BIOS settings
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

INFO: Abit KG7 Optimal BIOS settings
Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2002, 16:34   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
INFO: Abit KG7 Optimal BIOS settings

I got these settings and parameters from OPPAINTER and DDTUNG on the Icrontic forums.They get FULL credit for these and are legends in their own time for their development work on many different boards, getting the last ounce of performance out of whatever they are working with. Kudo's to them for helping to make this board the highest performing AMD 761 board ever.

I have not done any northbridge cooling mods or voltages mods yet. I am watercooled with a Leufken system and have a Card Cooler Maxcool case with 3 120mm and 1 80mm fans blowing in....a 92mm blowing out along with a 120mm blowing out and also cooling my radiator.

The main thing will be cooling. Before any successful overclock of the FSB you must have your CPU and case cooling optimized. Placing heatsinks on the voltage regulation mosfets is a plus also.
You need to determine first your CPU's MAX overclock. No matter what combination of Multiplier and FSB speed it will not go over that. You'll need to experiment there a bit. Once you find that point, get out the calculator and find a high FSB and multiplier combination that will equal your CPU's high limit. Start by changing those parameters but leave the FSB a few MHZ under to start. If it fires up and is stable, power down and go in and up the FSB a MHZ at a time until you become unstable. Then back down a notch or 2 until you have absolute stability. My threshold is 174MHZ right now. I can boot at 175 and 176...but benching is not stable.

Next is absolutely imperitve : Make sure you have flashed the latest bios, 4J. It provides superior memory performance and compatibilty.

Here are the parameters and procedure you need to follow..This procedure and settings work flawless on the KG-7 IF you follow it to the tee, NO DEVIATIONS !

1) Clear the bios

2) Start up system, go into bios, load optimal settings/defaults

3)Set CPU to stock setting manually ie: for 1.33 choose multiplier of 10 and FSB of 133
Set divider to 4:4:1

4) Memory volts to 3.0 WARNING : You really need to install Thermaltakes heatsinks/Spreaders to sustain that voltage over the longhaul.

5) I/O to 3.5

6)Hit F10 and Exit

7)Reboot go back into bios- Advanced Bios features
First boot Device : IDE 0
2Nd boot Device : SCSI
3rd Boot Device SCSI
4th Disabled

Disable video shadow

8) Advanced chipset settings
I'll just list the settings top to bottom without the setting names, choose chipset driving control and press enter...then enter these:

Control cpu : manual
7 (fastest)
manual
D8
slow
slow
FF
Fast
Fast
Manual
Manual
Manual

Press escape, now in this window, starting with AGP secondary lat timer, the settings are as follows :

Secondary Lat Timer : 20h
Fast Writes : enabled
4X
Enabled
Disabled
Enabled
Manual

Hit F10 and go to Windows. Once you succeed into Windows...power down and get out your calculator as explained above. Set your multiplier accordingly and increase the FSB to the max stable setting. You may have to reduce the multi to go to extremes but it will go to your rams limit.

Once you successfully boot up after these changes and get your FSB up where you want it, go back to Advanced Bios settings and set your floppy for Boot 1 and IDE 0 for boot 2, leave the others the same.

Hope this has been of some help to you, my fellow KG-7 owners.Print it out or write it all down. If you follow it properly, you'll be enjoying high FSB and memory bandwidth. I'm currently enjoying rock solid stability at 174MHZ FSB running my Crucial at Cas2. I've set world records in 3DMark2000 and 2001, posting the highest score ever for an Athlon system at low res/640 X 480 in 3Dmark2001 at 10,288 3DMarks.Take care , and good luck in your KG-7 endeavors
Closed Thread