It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > General Madness - System Building Advice > FAQ / INFO / HOW-TO
HOWTO: Abit NF7 VDIMM Voltmod HOWTO: Abit NF7 VDIMM Voltmod
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

HOWTO: Abit NF7 VDIMM Voltmod
Closed Thread

Old 4th March 2004, 23:30   #1
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation
Default HOW-TO: Abit NF7 VDIMM Voltmod

This mod is intended for the NF7 and NF7-S version 1.2 and 2.0. It will probably work on the NF7-M and older versions of the NF7 and NF7-s, but I have not tested it on any of those boards, and cannot guarantee success with them. Thankfully this mod isn't as complicated as the Epox vdimm mod is, but it still requires good soldering skills, and should be done with the greatest of caution. I want to thank the guys over at xtremesystems and "Miss Man" at amdmb for supplying the information in this guide.

The idea of this mod is to raise the vdimm / memory voltage. We do this by increasing resistance on the way to the memory voltage controller. This is done through a variable resistor, so you can choose the voltage you want to have in the end.

What you will need

1. A good pair of eyes and a steady hand. This mod requires soldering to a very delicate component.
2. A soldering iron with a small tip and some fine solder, some small wire, a multi meter to test resistance with (you might be able to skip this, but I highly recommend having one), and any other tools that might be useful on the way (screwdriver, wire cutter, etc.)
3. A 1k ohm variable resistor, or any other resistor capable of doing between 0 and 1k ohms. I'd recommend getting a 1k trimmer from radio shack part #271-342.

The mod step by step

1. Set your memory voltage to 2.6v in the bios and shut down the system. I recommend that you take the board out of your case and bring it to a suitable location with good lighting and plenty of space. You will be working on the area shown below.
Old 4th March 2004, 23:30   #2
Madshrimp

2. Get your resistor mounted in a suitable location. You'll have to find a location for it on your own since I don't yet have any example pictures of where it could be mounted. I'd suggest trying to find a place on the board itself to mount it so that you don't have to worry about connecting and disconnecting any wires if you remove the board from the case.

3. Solder two wires to your variable resistor, and solder those wires to the points shown below. The ground point below is a good solid ground, but you can use any ground point that you want. The other solder point must be correct, and the surface mount resistor that you're attaching the wire to is very delicate, so use the greatest of caution!
Old 4th March 2004, 23:31   #3
Madshrimp

4. Once you've got the soldering done, it's time to adjust your variable resistor. Set it to 1k ohms and start your system. At this setting, your memory voltage should be only slightly increased. As you lower the resistance, (which you must turn the system off to do, or risk killing your board) the voltage will increase. The voltage will max out at somewhere around 3.35v if you go too low. If for some reason your system doesn't boot after the mod, check your connections again, and check that the onboard resistor is still flat against the traces on the board. If it has lifted, you can probably fix it with a small drop of solder. If the resistor is damaged beyond repair or has been completely removed, you can replace it with a 10 ohm resistor (if your soldering skills are good enough!) and do the mod as shown below:

Credits: http://www.motherboardfaqs.com/article.php?14.255
Old 7th March 2004, 22:47   #4
HaLDoL

For a different and in my humble opinion a better method, check: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...threadid=23162

Old 8th March 2004, 08:40   #5
Madshrimp

Quote:
break the resistor off
don't like the sound of that
I already bought some 1k VR , voltmod should be done by the end of week on my NF7-S
Old 8th March 2004, 10:57   #6
HaLDoL

chances are great you will kill your resistor anyway if you solder on it. At least I did

Old 8th March 2004, 12:10   #7
FreeStyler

Ialready resolders things like that back onto videocards, and they still work (they worked without it too, so ...)

Closed Thread