It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
Replacing onboard crystal Replacing onboard crystal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Replacing onboard crystal
Closed Thread

Old 10th December 2006, 16:41   #11
Sharpside

Can you indicate the crystal on your picture? i might be interested to trie this on my 6200 64bit.
It might make it a bit less crappy

Last edited by Sharpside : 10th December 2006 at 16:44. Reason: wireless keyboard acting up

Old 10th December 2006, 21:34   #12
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

They often look like this: http://www.sure-electronics.net/engl...ors/full31.jpg

When you look at the picture from my first post, it's right in the middle on the left side if the heatsink.
Old 10th December 2006, 21:44   #13
Sharpside

I thought it would be that one.
I'll check my collection of dead cards next weekend and report back if i was able to do the mod.
Tnx for the info geoffrey!

Last edited by Sharpside : 10th December 2006 at 21:53.

Old 14th December 2006, 15:41   #14
[M] Reviewer

geoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registeredgeoffrey Fully Registered

I asked myself a guestion yesterday on XS, and I'm going to ask that same question here too...

As you can see in my above posts, changing the crystal affects the whole VGA card without being able to read it. Now... what if I did the same with my mainbord. Assuming it would work, my system would be faster, though Windows would indicate me running @ stock speed like I showed above. Now the thing is: the whole system is based on time/oscillators, and yes, even Windows depends on that, it doesn't communicate with the atomclock in Germany for example. If I changed a specific crystal, would that make 'Windows Time' run assynchronic with the real time? Would it be possible to travel back in time
Old 14th December 2006, 15:51   #15
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

if I buy a faulty watch, does that make me a time traveler ?
Old 14th December 2006, 15:56   #16
[M] Reviewer

I was joking about that last part, but the fact is, if I can change the speed of Windows time, I can fake benchmarks also. I'm curious if it's possible, though, if it is possible, who will believe me when I ever set a high score. Kinda like a double edged sword eh.
Old 14th December 2006, 16:40   #17
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

I doubt it will impact benchmarks that much
Old 14th December 2006, 16:51   #18
[M] Reviewer

superpi is about ms though
Old 2nd January 2007, 23:51   #19
[M] Reviewer

Need some help for my next little project.

Someone can find 'ICS 9250CF-08' datasheet?

Closest I could get till now was ICS 9250-10 datasheet.
E-mailed them, I hope I get some respons.

EDIT: ICS = IDT nowadays, www.idt.com
Old 21st January 2007, 17:18   #20

easypanic Freshly Registered

http://www.idt.com/products/files/24...ics9250-08.pdf

this is without CF , but it looks like the one for early pentium boards...
|(@)(@)""""""""""""**|(@)(@)****|(@)|
Closed Thread