It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
Old, OLD school ;) Old, OLD school ;)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old, OLD school ;)
Closed Thread

Old 15th December 2004, 22:28   #21
Canada_Dry

ha, alright. well i need to find some body filler "bondo" to make the pc look alot better, do most hardware stores sell it? how much $ I wonder

And what is the best kind for plastic?

Old 16th December 2004, 02:33   #22
Canada_Dry

All I accomplished today was sanding down the top and sides to 220 grit, and then the big thing i did today was begin cutting out the 3 holes on top. I didn't have fresh cut off wheels, so i used my old one (still works) to make the groove to cut out, and it worked out great!

As always, a few pics

p.s. best kind of bondo for plastic is?

Old 17th December 2004, 03:06   #23
Canada_Dry

Got the top panel cut today. Took forever!

While I was waiting for the cutting discs to arive I took out all the components in the case, and sanded/polished the areas of the case that would be viewable through the 3 portholes.

My dad came home and brought bondo, extra hardener, and of course...the cutting discs.

Well I've never cut any steel this thick before (1/8th). I've barely cut anything metal w/ a dremel before. So I didnt' know exactly what to expect. With my drawings already traced/etched out, It was easy to follow the lines, and I will allways etch before I cut metal from now on.

Within the first 2 cuts I made, I had already used an entire disc!

Well I figured I was doing something wrong. So I let the disc do the cutting, not my muscle. That worked alot better . Hours of cutting did 2 things, make really nice and neat cuts...and about burn my hand off because of holding that red hot dremel

I cut each section out 1 at a time and filed it w/ the new file set I got (very nice btw).

From these 2 you can see what its gonna look like. Look inside the case at the brushed steel (I plan on making it alot cleaner when I buy a dremel sander attachment tommorow)

Old 17th December 2004, 04:06   #24

Sidney Freshly Registered

Looking at the pics, I'd better move my *** to clean up my workbench ...... at presence, the table is covered totally by tools; grinders, drill bench, welder, nails, screws, pipes .......

There is nothing like working with your old man on a project.
Your photography skill improves in matter of hours.

Opteron 165 (2) @2.85 1.42 vcore AMD Stock HSF + Chill Vent II
Old 17th December 2004, 04:51   #25
Canada_Dry

ha, my dad isn't halping me w/ it at all. He doesn't even know what i'm doing...I think i talk to him about 4 minutes each day. I just had him pick stuff up on his way home from work...

btw, my table used to be all dissorganized, look at the first pics I posted. I currently have a bench grinder, and a lathe on that lil *** "table"

Old 17th December 2004, 08:29   #26
Madshrimp

jmke has disabled reputation

nice cut outs! looks good
Old 17th December 2004, 21:13   #27
Canada_Dry

thx. Today I have begun bondoing up the front...doing things such as filling in those gaps in between the top and bottom half of the front...and making the entire front look alot cleaner.

Anyone have about 100 sheets of 80 grt they don't need

Old 18th December 2004, 02:06   #28
Canada_Dry

This is my first time ever using bondo...but I think I'm pretty used to it. I just need the official bondo plastic wedges and the spot putty. around 6 bux for those.

Came up w/ a new idea. Which i think is pretty possible. I just don't know the right kind of putty I need. Basically I want to make the entire case have nice flat surfaces, no curves and very sharpened edges on everything. I think making these extrusions w/ some type of putty would help give that look. If you can't really "get" the concept from the pictures...go play halo and look at the bump mapping on a metal floor

For the paint scheme I want black...nice gloss smooth black. But maybe on these extrusions I could have a really dark blue and sort of "fade" it into it w/ an airbrush (never airbrushed either :P)

Maybe this should be a halo 2 theme pc .

any ideas on the best way to make the extrusions? I was thinking putty, I'm sure I could get some nice lines w/ that. But what kind is made for this kind of use?

Old 18th December 2004, 06:11   #29
Canada_Dry

Decided to change some **** around design wise.

My bondo skills wern't too bad...but It just wasn't going to work, like using a hammer to put a screw in.

So I was looking around and got the idea to not use the plastic case. I'm just going to sand and polish up the metal casing (like the top of the case I did). I think its going to look really nice, and I got some good ideas on how to do it.

Simple to sand the metal. I just need a few dremel attachments to get in the corners of the inside to get it all clean. And the front of the case will be completely flat, w/ the cd-drive recessed in and stealthed w/ a peice of steel cut out from the top (see pic).

the floppy bay will have a nexus fan controller in its place, and putting the floppy drive under the hd in the internal 3 1/2 bay. (see pic)

And the other 5 1/4 bay will have a musketeer in it, or maybe something else cool...I'm not sure yet. Any Ideas?

I should get the dremel attachments and more sandpaper within the next 2 days. And from there I will post more pics, for now just benge off of these.

Old 18th December 2004, 09:44   #30
kristos

about those extrusions, it reminds me a bit of that doom3 casemod. it had the same sort of extrusions.

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/p...oom3log_1.html

Closed Thread