It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
OCing the 3800+ x2 to 2.4Ghz and some Qs OCing the 3800+ x2 to 2.4Ghz and some Qs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OCing the 3800+ x2 to 2.4Ghz and some Qs
Closed Thread

Old 25th June 2006, 21:15   #11
[M] Reviewer

Gamer Freshly Registered

set your ddr speed to 400 instead of auto and on 1T in bios.
you will be limited in your fsb though.
Old 25th June 2006, 21:28   #12
teki

The 175mhz isn't a problem, that's just because i was running at 333 with a little oc.

Those timings are really odd. 1 little increase locks up everything. Last time i adjusted 2t to 1t nothing worked anymore and windows install was completely ****ed.

Old 25th June 2006, 21:31   #13
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

Teki, what mobo. In case of Asus A8N it's "Normal", mobo can't cope well with those settings.
Old 25th June 2006, 21:40   #14
teki

It's an a8n premium.

So buying (expensive) oc ram will be useless? 2T vs 1T gives quite an increase in performance. That's why i was planning to buy 2*1024mb in stead of adding adding another 2*512mb.

But in my case, I can simply buy the cheapest pc3200? Since the mobo won't handle it anyway?

Old 25th June 2006, 22:26   #15
[M] Reviewer

piotke Freshly Registered

mobo can't handle 1 t cwen using a HTT over ~230 / 240.

Normal DDR is good enough
Old 27th June 2006, 17:41   #16
teki

Thx all !

The system is running stable for more than a day now, couple hours of 3dmark and dvd/videodecoding works like a charm.

Only my soundcard doesn't work like it should, PCI is locked @ 33.33mhz. Every time the cpu gets a bit of load, everything crackles. It's an old (and a bit damaged) Audigy 2 platinum, i've had the same problems on my AthlonXP and P4 rig. Time to upgrade i guess.

Only one small question remains, i'm pretty sure the memory CAN handle 2-3-2-5 timings when running at 200mhz, but which one corresponds to what?

Cas delay and ras to cas are quite obvious, but the other 2?

Here is an example screen of the bios (not my settings)
http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages...IPre_BIOS1.jpg

Old 28th June 2006, 22:52   #17
Nessmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by teki
Only one small question remains, i'm pretty sure the memory CAN handle 2-3-2-5 timings when running at 200mhz, but which one corresponds to what?
2 tcl
3 Trcd
2 Trp
5 Tras

Old 30th June 2006, 21:02   #18
Nessmaster

Just a bit of FYI

I had it running at 2.5ghz@1.475v and DDR-333@2.9v

Now no matter what I used for my DDR timmings it just simply wouldn't be stabel! It would pass all the tests I threw at it (considering the timmings wern't compleatly over-tight) but when it came to encoding a movie it would crash.

So I read around and found the problem and the solution. I had to increase my nForce 4 voltage to 1.6v inseatd of the deaful 1.5v (I had it at 1.55 which aparatnly wasn't enough).

Ever since then I have been running stable 3-3-4-6 timmings. I might even try 3-3-3-6 later one, but for now I am just so happy I have it running stable!

I would be tempted to press the CPU even higher if my temps would allow it! I have it at 2.5Ghz, I think it could take 2.7Ghz even (the HTT could because I tested it at DDR-266 with HTT 275 and CPU multiplier at 8. But who knows...

Thats why I am looking into a Water cooling system for the CPU ATM.

Old 1st July 2006, 14:51   #19
teki

Quote:
Originally posted by Nessmaster

2 tcl
3 Trcd
2 Trp
5 Tras

DOH now i know why it couldn't boot.

I switched trcd with tcl. My mem can handle 2-3-2-5, but what i did was 3-2-2-5.

I don't think I can go any further for 24/24 7/7 usage. 3800+ running at 4400+ speeds should be enough for anything.

Not much effect in windows tbh. Still gotta decode some mp3's and dvd's for real life testing. Nearly all the things i need raw cpu power for, include hdd and/or optical drive activity. That's what keeping me behind i think.

(don't mind the last hdd, that one is ducktaped on a dvdrw

Old 1st July 2006, 22:39   #20
Nessmaster

Thoes are pretty nice temps for idle. Whats your room temperature in Celcius?

This is what I have at 27C room temp:

And yes, real time activities I find are the ones that really test your system (games and encoding being one of em)

Closed Thread