It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

Go Back [M] > Hardware Madness > Hardware Overclocking and Case Modding
More info about papst More info about papst
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

More info about papst
Closed Thread

Old 16th June 2002, 23:09   #1
ChAoS Overlord

Default More info about papst

Mensen, ik ben zwaar aan het overwegen om een papstfan te kopen, maar nu twijfel ik nog een beetje...

[english]
what to take?

8412 NG
8412 N
8412 NH
[/english]

De eerste maken 32 dB lawaai, en de laatste 37 dB, is het lawaaiverschil de moeite waard? Is 37 dB al niet LOUD??? I really don't have any idea about how loud what fan is, I would want to hear that kind of thing, but there are no shops in Belgium where I can find those types .

Old 16th June 2002, 23:38   #2

DUR0N Freshly Registered

www.loveno.be?

decibels are mesured like earthquakes. Ever decibel higher then the last, wil not be equally higer, but with an extra. so the difference between 10db and 20db is smaller than the differce beween 20Db and 30db.
there is some logarithmic formula for it, but i'm to lasy to search
Old 16th June 2002, 23:41   #3
ChAoS Overlord

I know the formula to it is logaritmic, but that formula doesn't say anything about how it SOUNDS in real life... That's what I'm curious about, it it a high pitched whine (very annoying) or more of a low hum, also I don't have a clue what it wil give in combination with the rest of my casefans...

That's what I'm afraid about.

Loveno doesn't have these types, the have less performant types.

Old 16th June 2002, 23:43   #4

TerAngreal Freshly Registered

thanks to RichBa5tard

in addition to Duron's explanation:

fans make different sounds according to their dimensions ...

a 60mm fan which is operating at 4500RPM, will probably make about 36dB ...

if you take an 80mm fan which operates at the same dB-rate, you'll notice that the 60mm fan makes an annoying, high, screaming sound -- which you'll hear much more then the 80mm, which will produce more like a hummmmmming-sound ...

(just some off-topic explanation :^) )
Old 16th June 2002, 23:46   #5

DUR0N Freshly Registered

Threshold of hearing.....................0 dB
Outdoors, no people or traffic..........20 dB
Background noise in a library...........40 dB
Ordinary speaking voice.................60 dB
Heavy traffic...........................85 dB
Power lawnmower up close................90 dB
Motorcycle (rider)......................90 dB
Chainsaw...............................100 dB
Rock music at concert..................110 dB
Jet plane takeoff at 100 yards.........120 dB
Threshold of pain......................140 dB

nèh

and papst's 80mm sound to me like a deep buzzing, which doesn't bother you when you hear it.
Old 16th June 2002, 23:46   #6
beki

Go to your local Harware farmer/electronic store ask him what fans he has and ask him what noise they make (ask for a test drive) or find someone here who has the fans and go listen.

PS: Wouldn't it be cool if madshrimps made a soundrecording of a whole lot of fans and put them on the site? Don't think it's been done before. But it's difficult 'cause you need to use the same HW(mic) for the recording so you can hear the difference.

mod: 3 people posting @ once or was I typing so slow?

Old 16th June 2002, 23:48   #7

DUR0N Freshly Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by beki
Go to your local Harware farmer/electronic store ask him what fans he has and ask him what noise they make (ask for a test drive) or find someone here who has the fans and go listen.

PS: Wouldn't it be cool if madshrimps made a soundrecording of a whole lot of fans and put them on the site? Don't think it's been done before. But it's difficult 'cause you need to use the same HW(mic) for the recording so you can hear the difference.
it's done before i'll search for the links
Old 16th June 2002, 23:50   #8
ChAoS Overlord

It has been done before, I'm sure of that!

Otherwise something that would be kewl is the following:

I would like to test drive the best performing papst, but I don't know if I can bear the sound level,...

Sooooo, somebody who' s sure he wouldn't mind having that fan, orders it, I pay for it, test it out, if it's too loud, he can have it after repay...

I know that's a very tricky proposal, but it's almost impossible to be sure what it sounds like otherwise, as I don't know of any shops that sell these fans. (richba5tard ???)

Old 17th June 2002, 00:01   #9
ChAoS Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by DUR0N
and papst's 80mm sound to me like a deep buzzing, which doesn't bother you when you hear it.
which papst do you have?

Closed Thread